• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flemish Giant Housing

Fender09

New Kit
I'm thinking of getting a Flemish Giant. It would have my room for the day and night but I have sugar gliders that come out in the morning. I'd need the bun to be locked up while the gliders are out. What would be a good cage size for a flemish giant to be in for 2 hours? Also, do rabbits sleep during the night? I don't want a big rabbit jumping on me in the middle of the night. It would most likely come camping with me too, don't worry, I have a huge trailer. But would a bun be okay with being in a smaller cage for a weekend? Let me know thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Youiants should have as much room as you can provide, a shed is the best housing with attached aviary or similar. Giants are enormous rabbits and quite heavy to hold. I would make quite sure you can cater properly for one before you go ahead.

Rabbits are active during the night and mine would often jump on me - they're not great to have in your bedroom if you're not a heavy sleeper. Mine used to go nuts around 12am and 5am, running round, jumping on things and practically bouncing off the walls. Bear in mind that you will need two rabbits as well, as rabbits need company 24 hours a day.

A bedroom is a good size for a giant's main living area, but in my opinion they need access to a larger area as well, big enough for them to actually run, not just hop, in. As long as you do a little bunny-proofing, you can just let them run around the rest of the house :)

Personally, I think the disruption of changing their environment just for a weekend isn't worth it - as prey animals that are territorial a big change of environment is stressful and my experience is that they take a few days to settle in a new place, so if I'm going away for the weekend I'll get someone to stay at mine or go in to look after them twice a day.

Yes, definitely get 2, rabbits are very social.

Instead of using a cage for 2 hrs a day what about letting the rabbit roam another room of the house? Like nessar said, I'd want a flemish to have more space than a bedroom so that it could really run around. My parents had a flemish when I was a baby and she had free range of the house. She was very friendly and well behaved so it worked out well. I really want to get a flemish myself in the somewhat near future (which would be bonded to my other rabbits since rabbits need to be with others of their kind) and like my current rabbits, it would have certain rooms as its 'base' but would be allowed to free range most of the house as well.

Remember if you take them camping that rabbits can be prone to stasis. Sometimes any sort of change can stress them out and cause them not to eat enough. I'd be worried about that and would prefer to have someone pet sit for me. When I was little we'd visit my grandparents and take our cockatiels with us but would board our rabbits.

Also, it's great to have a glider owner on the forum :) I love gliders so much, they're one of the animals that I'm desperate to get this year:love:

Back