• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

First trip to Vet

Persie

Warren Scout
We took our 12 week old bunny to the Vet for the first time, I didn't really know what to expect so was surprised it was over in 5 minutes, the Vet seemed to check everything she should have, starting with teeth, ears, weight, heartbeat & finally sexing which she said can be hard to tell at such a young age but after a check she said he looks like a boy but there is no testicle growth just yet. Anyhow she asked what he is eating and I said egg cup for nuggets, unlimited hay, starting to introduce veg now too, she said all sounds good and he is very healthy. She also asked if he is indoor or outdoor, I said indoor and will remain indoor as he is a dwarf breed to which she told me he doesn't need any vaccinations so long as he is indoors. She explained the injections fight against diseases carried by wild animals and as our bun will not be around other animals he won't need them. I'm just wondering what other peoples thoughts are on this? Also neutering, she said not necessary either unless we want to introduce another rabbit although I have read it is worthwhile for health reasons to get this done - any ideas or advice appreciated?

:D

I too have a male house bunny.

He is vaccinated. He is not neutered.

Neutering is essential for girls as it has health benefits. So far as I know, provided there are no girls about(!) neutering is only of benefit in calming boys down if they are a bit wild and, if they do so, stop them spraying urine.

As to vaccinations, disease can be brought in on shoes if you have walked across ground where infected rabbits have been. I live in a fairly rural venue so, whilst still remote, I think it's worthwhile. :)

I vaccinate my indoor buns :wave:

I believe that both diseases can be spread by fly bites... You can't guarantee to keep all the Mozzies out! I think it is a sensible precaution that won't hurt the bun but may save its life.

Thanks for the advice! I never realised it was only a health risk for female rabbits, well here's hoping she is correct in saying he is a male :) I live in a city with very little chance of wild rabbits being anywhere nearby but still I may just like to get him vaccinated for peace of mind. So far his temperament is great although he is only 13 weeks old tomorrow so that could all change :lol:

We took our 12 week old bunny to the Vet for the first time, I didn't really know what to expect so was surprised it was over in 5 minutes, the Vet seemed to check everything she should have, starting with teeth, ears, weight, heartbeat & finally sexing which she said can be hard to tell at such a young age but after a check she said he looks like a boy but there is no testicle growth just yet. Anyhow she asked what he is eating and I said egg cup for nuggets, unlimited hay, starting to introduce veg now too, she said all sounds good and he is very healthy. She also asked if he is indoor or outdoor, I said indoor and will remain indoor as he is a dwarf breed to which she told me he doesn't need any vaccinations so long as he is indoors. She explained the injections fight against diseases carried by wild animals and as our bun will not be around other animals he won't need them. I'm just wondering what other peoples thoughts are on this? Also neutering, she said not necessary either unless we want to introduce another rabbit although I have read it is worthwhile for health reasons to get this done - any ideas or advice appreciated?

:D

I think the Vet needs to go on a Rabbit Specific Course to improve her knowledge ;)

Both Myxomatosis and VHD can be spread by blood sucking insects, so ALL Rabbits are at risk.

Neutering is also advisable as the Rabbit will become 'hormonal' and consequently frustrated. Bucks tend to spray wee everywhere, Does can become aggressive and have false pregnancies. Unspayed Does are also at a very high risk of developing uterine cancer/infections. I am referring to both Bucks and Does as given the fact that the Vet is not too clued up on Rabbits I would not trust that she has sexed yours correctly. It is relatively easy to sex a Rabbit at 8 weeks, by 12 weeks it should be pretty obvious.

There is lots of information about neutering, vaccinations and other things on here

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/index.php?section=leaflets.html

That's exactly how I felt when leaving the Vet, my partner thought I was being silly and over-reacting as she is a qualified Vet and surely knows how to give rabbits health checks, but to me it was over very quickly and although I could not fault her, she was very gentle and stroked him as he was very frightened, I questioned her knowledge of dealing with rabbits. Obviously it is more common for Vets to see dogs and cats than rabbits so I don't know what I expected, I guess I was just hoping for a little more advice, questions and so on about my rabbit. Can anyone tell me what a general health check for a rabbit should be like or if it sounds like mine had the proper check it should have.

Obviously I was delighted she said he was a healthy happy boy :D

The health check sounds like what my vet does for mine. I too think she is wrong about the vaccinations and neutering. All of my boys have been neutered and don't spray now. The urine smell is less too and they are very calm in themselves.

You will then be able to get him a little bunny girlfriend to cuddle up with and smooch :D x

I would definitely get an indoor bunny vaccinated, like others say you an tread in the diseases or let in flies, I just wouldn't take the risk. Also, you get a health check with the vaccination and it's worth having a regular health check for teeth and heart problems.

About neutering, I was always wondering about that too- ask Jane! But I just had my single indoors boy done to stop him getting frustrated and also he was just starting to show signs of wanting to get a bit territorial about me (i.e. he jumped up and peed on me). You always run the risk that one day he'll start to get a bit territorial or spray, even if he doesn't until he's much older.

That's exactly how I felt when leaving the Vet, my partner thought I was being silly and over-reacting as she is a qualified Vet and surely knows how to give rabbits health checks, but to me it was over very quickly and although I could not fault her, she was very gentle and stroked him as he was very frightened, I questioned her knowledge of dealing with rabbits. Obviously it is more common for Vets to see dogs and cats than rabbits so I don't know what I expected, I guess I was just hoping for a little more advice, questions and so on about my rabbit. Can anyone tell me what a general health check for a rabbit should be like or if it sounds like mine had the proper check it should have.

Obviously I was delighted she said he was a healthy happy boy :D

Vets get very little training with regards to Rabbits. I believe that during their time at Uni they only get a few lectures about Exotics (Rabbits are classified as Exotics). This covers ALL Exotics, not just Rabbits. So it is really up to the individual Vet to expand their knowledge about Rabbit Health.

I see you are in Northern Ireland and I dont know if we have any other members on here who live there too. But you could post a thread in Rabbit Chat entiltled 'Rabbit Savvy Vet Needed in Northern Ireland'

Hopefully someone may be able to recommend one to you.

Thank you all for the advice, I have definitely made up my mind about the vaccinations and want them done ASAP as he is 13 weeks old tomorrow . I think I may try a different vet, although the vet I took him too is the closest distance from my house & he really doesn't like the travelling much so I'm almost dreading having to do it all over again. Can anyone recommend a good carrier for rabbits? When we took him to the vet we just place him in a clear plastic tub on a few blankets as he gets quiet scared and I thought if I put him into a dark carrier he would do his foot stomp :shock: but the tub wasn't too practical as he kept standing up and searching so I was frightened he would leap out of it, I had to constantly keep a hand on him. How do you transport your buns to the vet?

Thank you all for the advice, I have definitely made up my mind about the vaccinations and want them done ASAP as he is 13 weeks old tomorrow . I think I may try a different vet, although the vet I took him too is the closest distance from my house & he really doesn't like the travelling much so I'm almost dreading having to do it all over again. Can anyone recommend a good carrier for rabbits? When we took him to the vet we just place him in a clear plastic tub on a few blankets as he gets quiet scared and I thought if I put him into a dark carrier he would do his foot stomp :shock: but the tub wasn't too practical as he kept standing up and searching so I was frightened he would leap out of it, I had to constantly keep a hand on him. How do you transport your buns to the vet?

I use a pet carrier, but only a cheap one from Argos. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8706416.htm
I wouldn't really recommend a tub, although I appreciate your kind reasons for not wanting to scare him. He will probably feel more secure in a carrier though where he can huddle up. More importantly though, he won't be able to jump out and hurt his leg and even more importantly, if a dog came in the vets and decided to grab him, in a carrier he'd have some protection, in a tub he wouldn't.

Oh fantastic, I was actually just looking at that carrier! I was just unsure how he would feel in it as its quite enclosed but as you said he would be much safer and I would feel better knowing he is 100% safe, when we were in the vet a lady with a dog came in and I almost had his box on my head out of fear of the dog jumping up lol. It's also good to know that your bunny is fine in this carrier :) gives me hope for my spoilt boy lol thanks for the help

You are 100% right about seaking another vet, as although the vet you saw was nice she clearly doesnt know enough about rabbits!
I vaccinate my exclusivley indoor bunnies religiously!!
The new combi vaccine protecs for 1 year and provides cover for both myxomatosis and vhd- both of which even house rabbits are at risk of contracing.
Health check wise, our vet does-
Checks ears, eyes, nose and jaw line
Checks teeth using a tool
Palpatates the stomach
Checks heart rate
Checks bottom
Clips claws

I use a large cat/small dog carrier as I have the two buns.

A cat carrier is usually a good mode of transport its safe in the car and secure in the waiting room as you don't want a dog etc to come for a nose. I agree vaccs are essential regardless of if indoor or outdoor and neutering will keep calm reduce destruction stop wee spraying and also mean you ca bond him with a neutered female rabbits really do prefer company. Vaccs are now once a year as its a combi jab of myxi and vhd protection. Myxi is transmitted by biting insects things like flys mozzis fleas on cats anything and vhd I beleive is contact and biting insects so definatly best to get done. I would try and find a better rabbit vet before u neuter x

Thanks again for the advice :) I am definitely going to get him booked in with another vet soon and I will just have to speak up about my concerns next time as I really wasn't satisfied at the answers I was receiving. Its a pet hate of mine (excuse the pun) that rabbits don't seem to be taken as seriously as dogs or cats. They need just as much care and are as equally important. When I got Persie so many people said to me "why did you get a rabbit, why not a dog?" grrrr HATE that question, rabbits are awesome little characters. I love my wee guy :D

Back