• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First time on here, wanting to buy a rabbit.

Does anyone have pictures of their set ups to help Samantha get a better idea of how we all keep our rabbits?

Sometimes its better to see what we are talking about sometimes :D
No camera so cant do mine :oops:

pics of my setup on this thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=130072 I'm guessing with a dog though you'll need a run rather than letting them run on the patio like I do mine? be aware they often don't like being carried, so if you can fix a run to their hutch it's one less thing to stress over :)

What a shame you are not closer to me :cry: I have 3 baby rescue bunnies looking for homes...but Sazzy's babies are gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!

If your looking for 2 rabbits the min hutch size needs to be at least 6ft x 2ft x2ft with a run too, those hutches are to small:?

I think the last one is fine. Expensive though! May be worth emailing somewhere like happy hutch to see if they can make you one with the penthouse style roof and the run directly underneath? That wouldn't take up masses of room. Will they be okay to have a run around in your garden at all? I think you said earlier that they would. If so then I think it would be great!

Whilst I would advise anyone with one or two bunnies to get insurance be aware that of the few companys which will insure rabbits most exclude dental cover.

Many people prefere to put away a set amount of money each month which can then be used as and when needed for any condition.

Petplan include it so long as your bun has dental checks every 12 months which some vets do for free. I pay about £18 a month to cover my two, I took it out for peace of mind and so that I don't have to be faced with a 'can I afford to get my rabbit treated or will I have to let them go' situation.

I adore my two, they are such characters and always make me laugh. I love seeing them happy together too cuddling up, getting up to mischief and grooming each other. Mine are quite different, one loves being cuddled but will be a bit naughty and the other is a very cheeky character always up to no good and making me laugh but will be held for short periods and let you stroke him.

Bad point- can be very messy and destructive-hay gets everywhere (still worth it though) :lol:

I'd recommend getting a bonded pair from a rescue or choosing two singles and have the rescue bond them, it's not nice worrying whilst your rabbit is having the snip and caring for them afterwards can be quite stressful.

Last edited:
I think the hutch you like with the proper roof has space up there like a loft. You could fill that with straw over winter to keep them a bit warmer. I won't be getting a cover I don't think. I will make my own with a sheet of plastic and a length of wood at the end to weight it down. I may get a black sheet for night times too in case anything scares them. My other half has been saying he will make me a wooden shutter to go in at night times but i'm not sure he ever will! Someone said on here the other day that you are more likely to have a rabbit with heat stroke than die in the cold. I had a bunny 4 7 years without a cover and she was fine. In fact, she was always sat out in the howling wind and rain (she had a choice!)

Hi and welcome :wave:

Not had a chance to read all of this thread but do you have a garage, that could be another option! Mine are kept in a dog crate in the garage with permament access to an outdoor run attached to the garage via a catflap?

Lian x

great choice of hutch :D (well I would say that as it's mine :lol:) hope it goes well - not sure about baby buns as mine were all grown ups when I adopted them :D

find a good hay supplier and somewhere suitable to store hay - mine prefer a pile of hay to any toy, believe it or not - preferably a pile of hay inside a huge cardboard box :D if you have transport you should be able to find cheaper hay than I can get online - try riding stables and farm shops, and look for hay that's long, greenish, quite stalky rather than fine and wispy, and which smells nice not musty or dusty.

you will not believe how hay will come to dominate your life - oh the worry, oh the mess - as my neighbour calls it when he sees me lugging hay in my wellies - 'playin at farms' :lol:

The best thing about owning rabbits is the rewarding bond that you devlop with each rabbit is different

The worst thing as the same with all pets is having to say good bye as they hop over rainbow bridge:cry:
:oops: Sorry only just saw this thread but
totally agree with Raven Rexs, their personalitys are unique.Plus once you,ve had a bun, theres no way you,d want to be without them.:) I personally think what your doing by researching, before getting a bun is very sensible. I wish you well, plus you,ve got everyone on here to help you day/night.
Best Wishes billysmom.:)

Back