• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Female rabbit lunging/biting

Alicia

Mama Doe
So I unexpectedly ended up with a continental giant over the weekend. It’s early days and I know I need to let her settle but she’s very grumpy and lunges and grunts at me and will try to bite but fortunately she hasn’t caught me yet. I’ve been sitting down and letting her come to me and she has done a couple of times I’m just trying to give her space. She’s roughly a year old and has not had much interaction with people so that explains some of it. She’s going to the vets on Friday to be vaccinated and I was going to speak to him about spaying. Would this make a difference do you think or is it just how she is now?

So I unexpectedly ended up with a continental giant over the weekend. It’s early days and I know I need to let her settle but she’s very grumpy and lunges and grunts at me and will try to bite but fortunately she hasn’t caught me yet. I’ve been sitting down and letting her come to me and she has done a couple of times I’m just trying to give her space. She’s roughly a year old and has not had much interaction with people so that explains some of it. She’s going to the vets on Friday to be vaccinated and I was going to speak to him about spaying. Would this make a difference do you think or is it just how she is now?
She's probably super hormonal, I'd definitely spay her ASAP [emoji38] my bun was like a different rabbit after being spayed [emoji38]

She's hormonal and territorial. Spaying and time to settle afterwards will make a big difference. Meanwhile, I would continue to do as you are, and give her plenty of space so that she feels less threatened. You may have to find a way of eg cleaning her nest area without upsetting her too much, and before the lunging / biting becomes habit - so definitely spay as soon as you can (assuming she's not pregnant).

I don’t think she’s pregnant but I guess I can’t be sure, hopefully the vet on Friday can give me some answers on that. I’ve named her Dora, she seems a bit more settled already, she let me pick her up and put her on the grass without wrapping her in a blanket first and I cleaned her out while she was out on the grass. She’s a funny thing, I’m quickly learning what food she likes and dislikes, she is fussy :lol:

Back