• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeling guilty... mine are no longer 100% free rangers :(

*Funny*Bunny*

Warren Veteran
So after discovering massive holes in the carpet and through the underlay, on top of the corners being chewed from the bottom of he sofas and the majority of the seating of the leather sofas chewed open and fluff removed... The rabbits are now only allowed to free-range supervised :( I'm really really sad to have failed them by not being able to come up with/afford a solution :(

They have a 1.5 foot by 4 foot triple story hutch, then when their puppy pen is up they have 6 foot by 4 foot floor space, so not enough :( if I can find a way to cover the wires I can use the extra puppy pen panel that's currently protecting them and I'll be able to give them 7 foot by 4 foot floor space so at least it's a bit more :( they get free range all day if I'm in, all evenings that I'm in (every evening) and all weekend if I'm in. I'm back to full days on the 10th, so until then they're only penned in at night (or briefly if I pop out to lunch/shopping/gym etc). Overall they will be having 28sqft of floor and 18sqft of hutch (well 16 if you take a couple off for ramps) so 44-46sqft... a big downsize for them :(

No point to this thread, just feeling guilty and needed to get it off my chest :(

On the plus side they are exercising more because the second the panels are down they run around for ages (which they weren't so good at before!) and they seem to be eating slightly more hay (not that they could be eating much more as they eat so much anyway!), maybe the carpet and leather was filling them up before :roll:

I've bought this floor for them so they cannot dig the carpet up in their pen, it looks great! http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FIOHBLE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In the long run I want to but a wood effect flooring down, so they cannot chew the carpet (which is expensive for me to fix, looks bad and is dangerous for their tummies!). I also want to come up with a way to protect the sofas from them as well, which I just cannot think of :( we should be getting (free, second-hand) replacement sofas to replace the destroyed ones in the next month or two, so I don't want their fate to be the same as these ones!

Despite currently having all day free ranging (as I am in) they still spend 99% of the time sleeping in their litter tray or hutch, but at least I can give them the choice some of the time! They tend to sleep 11am-6pm every day, so at least when I'm out 8-5 they'll have their active evenings still with the option to run across the room, and an hour in the mornings.

ETA managed to up it to 8 foot by 4 foot, plus the hutch, it looks much bigger than 6 foot by 4 foot :D still racking my brains for a better solution though! I think all the good solutions require lots of money, or a much bigger house though!

Last edited:
Don't be too hard on yourself.It sounds to me like you have a wonderful set up for them and as you said they sleep all afternoon . My guys get 8 hours of free range a day and I think it's plenty considering Bobby is one going on a hundred and sleeps all day !!!

Buns can be so norty can't they ... I wouldn't leave mine unsupervised for longer than an hour because Rosie is a little terror . Lol :)

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

Back