• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Feel like I've failed as a bunny owner PLEASE HELP :(

I don't know what to do...

My decision is to put him to sleep. As with time he will get poorly and pass away and would want him to go happy. This is so difficult since I will be doing this when he seems so normal.

I'm not sure wether to be in the room while he is being put to sleep. As painful as it will be I think it is best for me to stroke his head while he goes to sleep. But the other half of me doesn't want to witness it but I don't want him passed to the vet to be put to sleep without me kissing him goodnight. So difficult. I have never been so heart broken in my life. I have a sore head this morning as I decided to drown my sorrows with a bottle of wine. Luckily I'm not in work due to jury service and I'm not back in court till Tuesday.

I have never loved an animal so much in my life. I didn't think for one minute it would be leukaemia with it being so rare in rabbits.

~ Emmzie x

I don't know what to do...

My decision is to put him to sleep. As with time he will get poorly and pass away and would want him to go happy. This is so difficult since I will be doing this when he seems so normal.

I'm not sure wether to be in the room while he is being put to sleep. As painful as it will be I think it is best for me to stroke his head while he goes to sleep. But the other half of me doesn't want to witness it but I don't want him passed to the vet to be put to sleep without me kissing him goodnight. So difficult. I have never been so heart broken in my life. I have a sore head this morning as I decided to drown my sorrows with a bottle of wine. Luckily I'm not in work due to jury service and I'm not back in court till Tuesday.

I have never loved an animal so much in my life. I didn't think for one minute it would be leukaemia with it being so rare in rabbits.

~ Emmzie x

((((((((( Hugs )))))))

Obviously it is a totally individual thing, but for me I have to remain with my Rabbit at the end. Yes, it is painful for me and I feel total devastation. But to not stay would be far worse, for me I would feel as though I had abandoned the Rabbit when he/she needed me most. I just could not leave them to pass without me being there to hold them, talk to them and make them feel safe.

There are no 'right' or 'wrong' things to do. We can only do what feels appropriate for ourselves and for our Rabbit. There are no words that will make you feel any less heartbroken, I wish there were. But to allow a peaceful and dignified passing before any real suffering starts is one of the most loving and compassionate gifts we can give to a Rabbit with whom we have been privileged to share our lives.

xx

((((((((( Hugs )))))))

Obviously it is a totally individual thing, but for me I have to remain with my Rabbit at the end. Yes, it is painful for me and I feel total devastation. But to not stay would be far worse, for me I would feel as though I had abandoned the Rabbit when he/she needed me most. I just could not leave them to pass without me being there to hold them, talk to them and make them feel safe.

There are no 'right' or 'wrong' things to do. We can only do what feels appropriate for ourselves and for our Rabbit. There are no words that will make you feel any less heartbroken, I wish there were. But to allow a peaceful and dignified passing before any real suffering starts is one of the most loving and compassionate gifts we can give to a Rabbit with whom we have been privileged to share our lives.

xx

Thank you, brought a tear to my eye reading your post as I feel so as putting him to sleep but I don't want him to get poorly and die suffering. He is totally clueless, I was cuddling him before and all he wanted was his breakfast.

I will stay with him and stroke him to sleep. I don't think I could ever get another rabbit. I would always compare him to Fudge and Fudge is unique everyone tells me how intelligent he is for a rabbit and how human like he is. And he's so cheeky.

I didn't think this would hurt so bad but he is my little boy and I love him to pieces.

~ Emmzie x

Thank you, brought a tear to my eye reading your post as I feel so as putting him to sleep but I don't want him to get poorly and die suffering. He is totally clueless, I was cuddling him before and all he wanted was his breakfast.

I will stay with him and stroke him to sleep. I don't think I could ever get another rabbit. I would always compare him to Fudge and Fudge is unique everyone tells me how intelligent he is for a rabbit and how human like he is. And he's so cheeky.

I didn't think this would hurt so bad but he is my little boy and I love him to pieces.

~ Emmzie x

Sending massive hugs and thinking of you :cry: xxx

~ Emmzie x

I absolutely understand all that you are feeling. All Rabbits are wonderful, but sometimes there will be one who is extra special, totally unique and irreplaceable. Not everyone is fortunate enough to find that extra special Rabbit, so in that respect we are both very lucky. Even though it means having our hearts broken eventually.

"We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached.
Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way.
We cherish memory as the only certain immortality,
never fully understanding the necessary plan."

Irving Townsend.

Thank you so much for all your support. I wouldn't know what to do of it wasnt for you guys.

Fudge has been booked in to be put to sleep tomorrow 11am

I will be spending quality time with him today and treat him to some tasty treats and take plenty of photos

~ Emmzie x

Thank you so much for all your support. I wouldn't know what to do of it wasnt for you guys.

Fudge has been booked in to be put to sleep tomorrow 11am

I will be spending quality time with him today and treat him to some tasty treats and take plenty of photos

~ Emmzie x

You are showing tremendous courage and selflessness. Fudge has no fear of the situation, he is not as yet feeling ill or in pain. How many humans with an incurable illness would like to leave BEFORE they start to suffer. I know I would.

I will light a candle for Fudge at 11am tomorrow xx

I'm very sorry you have had such bad news about Fudge.

We had a young Rex given to us a few years ago suffering from what I believed to be congenital heart disease . The following day he was taken to the vet who confirmed the diagnosis and gave his professional recommendation of putting to sleep at that visit. After discussing any possible treatment the vet agreed to try a diuretic for two days to shift the fluid built up around the heart. This helped so we then put him on Fortekor to "buy" some time with the conviction that as soon as the medications lost their effect he would be put to sleep. One evening he looked to be struggling and the next morning he had barely eaten and refused his meds for the first time. He was put to sleep that afternoon, thirty days after the first suggestion.

If Fudge is not suffering at the moment other than the excessive drinking and urinating, would you consider monitoring him until his quality of life is affected, as was the case with our little one? He may still have a reasonable number of quality days remaining for you to enjoy more of each others company and affection.

I am so sorry. Although I haven't posted on here I have been keeping up with your updates. I am sending vibes for a peaceful passing tomorrow and sending lots of hugs your way. :(

As usual Jane has hit the mail on the head. What you are doing is selfless and brave. Our rabbits depend on us to make the tough decisions, and you are allowing him to pass peacefully. *big hugs*

I'm very sorry you have had such bad news about Fudge.

We had a young Rex given to us a few years ago suffering from what I believed to be congenital heart disease . The following day he was taken to the vet who confirmed the diagnosis and gave his professional recommendation of putting to sleep at that visit. After discussing any possible treatment the vet agreed to try a diuretic for two days to shift the fluid built up around the heart. This helped so we then put him on Fortekor to "buy" some time with the conviction that as soon as the medications lost their effect he would be put to sleep. One evening he looked to be struggling and the next morning he had barely eaten and refused his meds for the first time. He was put to sleep that afternoon, thirty days after the first suggestion.

If Fudge is not suffering at the moment other than the excessive drinking and urinating, would you consider monitoring him until his quality of life is affected, as was the case with our little one? He may still have a reasonable number of quality days remaining for you to enjoy more of each others company and affection.

That's so sad :(

He is not suffering and I would consider keeping him alive for as long as I can but I don't want him to be poorly one day and suffer then put him down. I want him to be put to sleep happy as he can be with me stroking his head and telling him its ok.

~ Emmzie x

I'm so sorry for your sad news :( you have made such a brave and selfless decision and fudge is so lucky to have you looking out for him xx

It is such a hard decision to make - but so brave. Am very sad you have to make it though...my thoughts are with at this time.

Drowning my sorrows even though I drank last night but it eases the pain. I've took plenty of photos today and given him cuddles. He looked confused when I was crying a s telling him its ok.

I don't know how in going to cope tomorrow. I may sound dramatic but honestly never felt pain like this.

~ Emmzie x

Honestly I'm so sorry. This thread has almost been making me cry so I can't imagine how you must feel. I think you are being very brave, doing what you are doing, and the only thing I would say is don't let this whole situation result in you never having another rabbit. I think the fact that you feel the way you do is testament to what amazing animals they are, and how they are very quickly part of the family. Take your time to grieve but you never know, sometime in the future there may be a special little bun who is just right for you, and who might help you get over the pain of your loss. I will be thinking of you tomorrow. X

I'm so sorry - I just can't imagine how you must be feeling. I think you are very brave and selfless.

Back