• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeding conehead / collared rabbits?

Ada can be seen disapproving of her collar in this thread.
It looked so much like a little Victorian poke-bonnet. The "ribbon" underneath was a piece of bandage, complete with a bow in it, to stop the collar digging into her skin.

I took it off as she was so unhappy in it. The stress was probably worse for her than a few bits of eaten bandage. I have fed her two Oxbow Papaya tablets - which she happily munches up - and syringe-feeding her Biolapis - so that Beatrix doesn't drink half of it, as would happen if it were in a bowl. And she has been eating plenty of hay since she was released from the bonnet. So hopefully her gut will be ok.

The bandage at least seems to distract her from chewing the stitches.

She was very angry when i made her wear both :oops::lol:

2007_1002bunnygrow0028.jpg

I just wanted to say thank you so much for this post, but especially that last bit. I have been in rotten pain for a while (I have joint problems that get worse in the cold) and that is genuinely the first thing to make me laugh in about a week. I'm sorry poor Holly had such an injury but that last photo is just incredible.

In response to the actual question: I have never had a collared rabbit but did have a girly with EC who had awful incontinence. Because of the risk of urine scald we put her in nappies and I had to pick out her caecotropes to hand feed her. If I remember rightly I changed her 2-3 times a day and if she didn't want some of the caecals, I put them in the fridge in a little tuperware tub with a drop of water for her to eat later. Initially I left them out to see if she'd go back to them but they go all dry and she ignored them.

She also had on/off paralysis so physically getting to water was an issue as it would be with a collar, so I offered with a syringe every half hour or so. At night I left her right beside her 'bowl' (a saucer with very low sides) until I could get up in the morning and start again. It is very labour intensive looking after a bunny who cannot eat/drink by themselves so I wish you all the best.

Vita, that picture of Ava made me chuckle, bless her :love:

Coineach, im so glad i managed to give you a giggle :lol:, her face is priceless in that photo :love:. Im so sad to hear your in such awful pain :( i really hope it eases soon, it sounds horrific for you :( xx

Get well soon Coineanach, hope the pain eases soon.

Thanks very much for the advice everyone :)

I have suddenly come down with a bad cold / manflu so is not much fun caring for buns today... for once I am sneezing way more than they are! But fingers crossed the worst is over with Ada and she can now heal quietly. (Well, as quietly as is poss whilst humping B and chomping at bandages)

Back