• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fast breathing/odd posture: UD 22/3 Gone to the Bridge

Thank you, sorry just a quick reply! She did lots of binky's this morning when I came down :love:

Yeah I'm not necessarily upset that the lung mass was missed, even though it was to me fairly obvious, it's that her breathing was never acknowledged even when I tried to show videos of her at home. And even after saying there's a small amount of fluid on the lungs she was discharged without any medication, we had to ask for it and again keep asking as the regular vet had gone home and the locum didn't want to 'over load her' or could see no reason for any medication.

It is upsetting when you can't see the regular vet you're used to, and a shame many still aren't that clued up on rabbits!

Awwww glad she is doing so well! [emoji175]

Like I said to you before the locum vet I saw seemed reserved about prescribing anything other than Baytril and a higher Metacam dose.

By writing to your vets I guess you are at least helping spread awareness about bunnies but it hasn't helped you as far as Bigwig is concerned xx

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Thank you :) That does seem to be common with locums, I appreciate they may not have much experience with rabbits but does seem to be just baytril and metacam they're comfortable with.

I've had a call from the referral vet and it's good news! Her lung wash and deep nasal swab showed significant Pasteurella. The lung wash showed white blood cells but no tumour cells! So we're looking at an abscess, vet has advised it's a 'good' strain which is sensitive to baytril and she does seem to be doing better on it so to stick with it for a 6 week course. She's keeping frusol and metacam too although not sure for how long on those, she's having a check up next week so will ask then. In 6 weeks we'll recheck the X ray or if her breathing is still not right go for CT and surgery may still be needed if the abscess if still there but hopefully this will have kicked it. The vet is writing a letter to update my regular vets as I'll be picking up the medication from them to save the trip, he is also recommending a probiotic they can order in for me to pick up.

I spoke with my regular vet regarding our written letter and they apologised and did a nice gesture of good will for us regarding her treatment by the locum so we're happy with that outcome and have been calling us to check in on Bigwig.

Thank you :) That does seem to be common with locums, I appreciate they may not have much experience with rabbits but does seem to be just baytril and metacam they're comfortable with.

I've had a call from the referral vet and it's good news! Her lung wash and deep nasal swab showed significant Pasteurella. The lung wash showed white blood cells but no tumour cells! So we're looking at an abscess, vet has advised it's a 'good' strain which is sensitive to baytril and she does seem to be doing better on it so to stick with it for a 6 week course. She's keeping frusol and metacam too although not sure for how long on those, she's having a check up next week so will ask then. In 6 weeks we'll recheck the X ray or if her breathing is still not right go for CT and surgery may still be needed if the abscess if still there but hopefully this will have kicked it. The vet is writing a letter to update my regular vets as I'll be picking up the medication from them to save the trip, he is also recommending a probiotic they can order in for me to pick up.

I spoke with my regular vet regarding our written letter and they apologised and did a nice gesture of good will for us regarding her treatment by the locum so we're happy with that outcome and have been calling us to check in on Bigwig.

A great outcome all round :D

That's fantastic news!

Hopefully the antibiotics will sort the abcess shortly.

It's nice that your vets have acknowledged things and are checking in with you.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I really am so happy for you Liz, hand rearing a Bunny leads to a very special bond and I can understand how terribly worried you were when the big C was mentioned. Hopefully a heavy hit of abx will get rid of the infection over the next few weeks x

Thank you all :D She was easy to tell apart from the other same coloured babies (Hazel and Fiver) thanks to her white feetsies! One of the reasons I didn't want to keep any of them was that I knew we'd get really attached, but of course we're glad we did. :love:

Thank you all :D She was easy to tell apart from the other same coloured babies (Hazel and Fiver) thanks to her white feetsies! One of the reasons I didn't want to keep any of them was that I knew we'd get really attached, but of course we're glad we did. :love:

:love:

Thanks everyone :)

She's actually gone a bit downhill, coughing more and leaving pellets and not as active. She's been on baytril a while now so I'm thinking of calling the exotic vet and asking if it would.be worth switching to penicillin injections which was our other option or sticking with baytril for longer.

Back