• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

FAO: The Duchess

Helen Great pics,I can never decide which of your abodes is my favourite............

I think i'd say its a close call, between Little lodge (I had to steal the roof idea :oops:) And Le Petite Maison (copying you veranda is going to be my next project :oops: Might need a few more tips first though :D)

Thanks for inspiring me! without seeing your setups, I would never of dreamed of changing my buns accomodation :lol:

'Ere now Lisa you really, really must share some of your photos of your housing. Make mine look very shabby. Don't be shy - you will inspire others with the amount of effort you have put in.

Not suggesting everyone could do what you have achieved Lisa, but you really should share!

Wonderful! You have such vision and imagination and I admire your frugal nature recycling materials in to your projects.

Fizz has requested a revamp of his accomodation (the corrolux roof of his run extension has dipped due to the weight of Felix a neighbours cat who uses it to get up on the the adjacent fence:roll:) so he will be viewing this thread with great excitement, no doubt jotting down a few ideas.

Can I ask what paint you find safe for the inside of hutches please as Fizz's back wall looks a little unsightly.

When I was 7 we stayed in a delightful converted carriage of a corridor train set in someones back garden in Clacton-on-sea, it was simply called "The Seagull" fond memories which prompt me to offer this as a name for your boarding accomodation.

We always rented a beach hut when we holidayed in Clacton and these too hold special memories for me so I offer the name The Beach Hut and also the name of a Hotel, in Jersey I think, Tides Reach - rather romantic I thought.

Wonderful! You have such vision and imagination and I admire your frugal nature recycling materials in to your projects.

Fizz has requested a revamp of his accomodation (the corrolux roof of his run extension has dipped due to the weight of Felix a neighbours cat who uses it to get up on the the adjacent fence:roll:) so he will be viewing this thread with great excitement, no doubt jotting down a few ideas.

Can I ask what paint you find safe for the inside of hutches please as Fizz's back wall looks a little unsightly.

When I was 7 we stayed in a delightful converted carriage of a corridor train set in someones back garden in Clacton-on-sea, it was simply called "The Seagull" fond memories which prompt me to offer this as a name for your boarding accomodation.

We always rented a beach hut when we holidayed in Clacton and these too hold special memories for me so I offer the name The Beach Hut and also the name of a Hotel, in Jersey I think, Tides Reach - rather romantic I thought.

Bless, I have very fond memories as my life as a child too because every year without fail we holidayed in Frinton (for the uniniated - just along the coast from Clacton) and also rented a beach hut. This is kind of where I got the strong feelings for beachy themed accommodation. So stripey towels, buckets and spades, postcards blah blah blah.

I use Cuprinol garden shades for inside and out. Hardly anything has gotten chewed but it is supposed to be safe (obviously unless eaten in large quantities). It is good because it wipes clean so keeps the wee marks down. I also add extra timber battens almost like skirting board to the floors to keep the lino in place - prevents bunnies from getting the corners up and chewing it. It also stops buns from chewing the painted bits.

Agh yes, now you mention it I think we have spoken before about our Clacton, Frinton, Jaywick and Walton-on-the-Naze childhood memories!

Thanks for the Garden Shades tip.

Yesterday evening we had a ridiulous quote for a new kitchen from Everest - £48,000! I'd hardly stopped laughing this morning at the ridiculousness of it when I went out to feed the animals and Fizz reminded me of his Spring revamp request - he thought it was a good time to mention it as for sure it'll come in on a smaller budget even if he does get those night shutters he's after!

Agh yes, now you mention it I think we have spoken before about our Clacton, Frinton, Jaywick and Walton-on-the-Naze childhood memories!

Thanks for the Garden Shades tip.

Yesterday evening we had a ridiulous quote for a new kitchen from Everest - £48,000! I'd hardly stopped laughing this morning at the ridiculousness of it when I went out to feed the animals and Fizz reminded me of his Spring revamp request - he thought it was a good time to mention it as for sure it'll come in on a smaller budget even if he does get those night shutters he's after!

Had they gotten the decimal point in the wrong place - blimey!

Have visions of a rabbit talking to you now about decorations and colour choices.:lol::lol:

I am trying to come up with one more pair of names for my new hutches, but I need to use something different. Have used Cottage, Room, Apartments, Maison, Flat, Annex, Shed, Home, Lodge and Warren in all of my titles so far so I'm a bit stuck.

Good luck with yours!

Ive thought of a few for mine, but none of them seem right. I thought of Rose cottage and Dandelion Den, but P@H used to sell hutches with these names, and you already have one called Rose cottage, but i might have to go with Dandelion Den :) xx

Helen, how do you make the inner meshed doors - do they open inwards or outwards?

Deb, they all open inwards, which can be a bit of a pain because you have to watch where you put the litter trays etc. But it makes it a bit safer because I think if they opened out, the buns would make a run for it when you open the doors.

I make them out of sawn treated timber from Wickes using screws or fixing plates and then by fixing the mesh with U-shaped nails for strength. Most of them close using a hasp and staple to close depending on the depth of the door opening. Sometimes I have to fix a wooden frame inside the door because if you fix the mesh door to the original door frame, there isn't enough room for the proper outside door to fit in the hole!

'Ere now Lisa you really, really must share some of your photos of your housing. Make mine look very shabby. Don't be shy - you will inspire others with the amount of effort you have put in.

Not suggesting everyone could do what you have achieved Lisa, but you really should share!

Some pics as promised :D
The trios house.

624078db.jpg

Side view

aee85ff2.jpg

Inside

98ddbdd2.jpg

75a9c123.jpg

And my pairs place.

64ac3e6a.jpg

I can vouch for the door not opening out as the best idea, as you have to be very quick so they dont escape. So an inner low panel is needed here.(work in progress)

9f16f40e.jpg

(The baton on the floor has been removed, and the sides are now boxed in)

f2486cd4.jpg

I have a few more pics of both set ups here :)

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=274246&highlight=tiger+peppa+sugar

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=274555&highlight=tiger+peppa+sugar

Last edited:
Lisa you have been very modest in your posting of pictures - I've seen so many more!

They really do make your bunnies' lives like heaven on earth. :D

Truly inspirational - what fantastic ideas you have both given everyone. I love your garden/play house set ups Duchess they are so pretty and you have made very clever use of your finds:D

I hope no one minds, but can I ask whether it would be possible to either make this thread a sticky "playhouse setups" or add it to the housing sticky - if I was a new bunny mummy looking for ideas I would think I had died and gone to heaven if I came across this thread. Hopefully it will help to get the message out there that buns don't have to live in hutches and certainly not tiny ones!

Keep the pics coming lady, loving it.:love:

I think your bunny houses are just fantastic inside and out and I just love the way you have a matching little dustpan and brush hung on each house.
They were obviously made with love and so much work has gone into them they are a credit to you :love:

I think your bunny houses are just fantastic inside and out and I just love the way you have a matching little dustpan and brush hung on each house.
They were obviously made with love and so much work has gone into them they are a credit to you :love:

This :D:wave:

Back