• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Facial Paralysis/weepy eye

Margret

Warren Scout
I have a 5 year old German lop female who has always been in good health. In August 2019 I noticed she had a weepy eye. Took her to vet and he checked her eyes thoroughly, also checked her teeth, no issues. He diagnosed conjunctivitis and he also flushed her tear ducts. She had a course of eye drops and all seemed well. In December again we took her back as she had a weepy eye, always right side...again no issues, again conjunctivitis diagnosed...more drops. 2 weeks ago, I noticed weepy eye, but also thought her left side of face was swollen....vet gave her a thorough check, checked all along here jaw, nothing abnormal, checked eye sockets with pressure no obvious sign of pain again no sign of ulcers in mouth or dental problems...gave me antibiotic and pain relief....back today for recheck, eye still weepy, he flushed out tear ducts of both eyes, she is so good, lies quite content, no distress. Again checked teeth and mouth.He also checked her ears, some wax, which he washed out and cleaned with cotton bud. He took a photo of her face to send to Royal **** Vet Hospital Edinburgh for advice. Continue with antibiotics and drops, Got a call tonight to say it looks like she has a paralysis of the facial nerve which could be in relation to inner ear....seems it has something to do with lops bone structure. They have said I could get her a CT scan and then it may mean surgery but the outcome is not always good. I am concerned about her having a GA for CT scan as I know anaesthetics for rabbits can be risky. Has anyone ever come across this problem before. She is insured but it is not the money that is the problem I just want to do whats best for her, but not causing her undue stress. At the moment she is eating normally, going out into the garden from her shed when weather permits. Is always happy to see us. I am just so upset tonight I don't know what to do for best. Sorry for rambling. Any advice welcome. Thank you

I’m sorry to hear about your rabbit’s problems :cry: I don’t have any experience of this so I can’t advise, but I’m sending lots of vibes for her xx

I have a 5 year old German lop female who has always been in good health. In August 2019 I noticed she had a weepy eye. Took her to vet and he checked her eyes thoroughly, also checked her teeth, no issues. He diagnosed conjunctivitis and he also flushed her tear ducts. She had a course of eye drops and all seemed well. In December again we took her back as she had a weepy eye, always right side...again no issues, again conjunctivitis diagnosed...more drops. 2 weeks ago, I noticed weepy eye, but also thought her left side of face was swollen....vet gave her a thorough check, checked all along here jaw, nothing abnormal, checked eye sockets with pressure no obvious sign of pain again no sign of ulcers in mouth or dental problems...gave me antibiotic and pain relief....back today for recheck, eye still weepy, he flushed out tear ducts of both eyes, she is so good, lies quite content, no distress. Again checked teeth and mouth.He also checked her ears, some wax, which he washed out and cleaned with cotton bud. He took a photo of her face to send to Royal **** Vet Hospital Edinburgh for advice. Continue with antibiotics and drops, Got a call tonight to say it looks like she has a paralysis of the facial nerve which could be in relation to inner ear....seems it has something to do with lops bone structure. They have said I could get her a CT scan and then it may mean surgery but the outcome is not always good. I am concerned about her having a GA for CT scan as I know anaesthetics for rabbits can be risky. Has anyone ever come across this problem before. She is insured but it is not the money that is the problem I just want to do whats best for her, but not causing her undue stress. At the moment she is eating normally, going out into the garden from her shed when weather permits. Is always happy to see us. I am just so upset tonight I don't know what to do for best. Sorry for rambling. Any advice welcome. Thank you

I am sorry to hear about your Rabbit's problems. I have encountered the problem you describe and it was due to Otitis Media. These links contain information about the condition and the surgery needed, should you opt to go ahead with it

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/BacterialOtitisMediaInterna.htm

http://www.tokyovets.com/2017rabbitear3.pdf

*Warning graphic images of surgical procedures on this link*

http://www.ivis.org/proceedings/navc/2006/SAE/617.pdf?LA=1

There is the option of 'palliative care' ie managing the condition with long-term antibiotics and non steroidal ant-inflammatories. This will not cure the condition but may contain the infection, for a while at least.

Best wishes for whatever you decide xx

Whenever I am faced with decision to do more extensive testing my vet may ask me if results would change treatment.
Would CT give better information on extent of infection and recovery time ,risk or outcome of surgery . Would you consider surgery if bunny currently happy?
Sorry for rambling. I had bunnies with middle ear infections and used antibiotics and supportive care. Some recovered. Others improved then relapsed with multiple antibiotics.
Sending lots of positive vibes.

Last edited:
Back