• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Extra love vibes for poor Truffle

Haha! Why thank you, tell me what I owe you ;-) lol.

So I thought leaving him this morning and not doing his eye drop would make him happier this morning. Apparently not.
He straight up refuses pellets and then wouldn’t sniff anything else. He then nibbles at an apple chip. Then that was it. He nearly ate a bit of apple and mouthed it a few times then decided nah!

Now he’s just laying on my small offerings in his castle.

When he came out the hutch he did a giant squishy poop, so my brain panicked about megacolon, but my nurse friend said it wouldn’t be that and his poops are going to be weird until he’s better.

*sigh*

ff2de7777124a1354b9126733977cab5.png

7d93b836c4e881571c5d76c3cd152507.jpg

ac09265d52f4221cfc9d9f6009adecf9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh dear ... Remind me is he on any gut motility meds ongoing, or pain relief?

Yes the poops are going to be weird for sure, and I wouldn't worry about that.
I am more concerned about him not getting back to eating normally xx

Blimey Truffle, that's one heck of a squidger!

How has he been this afternoon? I'm hoping that he'll be feeling a bit better within himself now that he's managed to get that out.

I know right!

So this afternoon he’s been in his castle laying, loafing, and when I remind him he will nibble on grass and some of Joey&boos special dry willow. He got up about an hour ago and used the loo in the living room, sat about 5 mins and near the end strained a bit, then ran off. He deposited another big long gloopy poopy and some teeny nuggets.

So I guess it’s good it’s coming out still and he’s picking at things. He’s still pretty grumpy and not doing much, he’s gone into the kitchen now onto the dining chair in a loaf.

He's not looking very happy with himself is he? Have the vets suggested what might have brought on the Stasis? My rabbits also have always been prescribed pain relief when they've had Stasis

No he’s not, I was hoping he’d be a bit more bouncy today.

Yeah it’s likely to be the penicillin injections messing with his gut flora and then with stress of vet visits for stasis and me having to syringe feed him we are locked in a vicious cycle. That’s why I hoped if I left him alone more today he might come round with a stress free morning.

Yes I am wondering about this because a few people said that’s standard giving pain meds. He’s been given none and seen two different vets. I’ve been watching him today and trying to figure out if pain can be an issue putting him off food.

Oh dear ... Remind me is he on any gut motility meds ongoing, or pain relief?

Yes the poops are going to be weird for sure, and I wouldn't worry about that.
I am more concerned about him not getting back to eating normally xx

No nothing ongoing apart from syringe feeding food and probiotic when needed. He had ranitidine yesterday morning and evening that’s it for gut stimulants now.

I’ve tried to give him some space today and he has nibbled some bits of grass and joey&boos dry willow has been well received. So at least he’s trying now and sniffing things. If he’s not interested in dinner in a while I’ll have to syringe because I can’t wait too long for him. Sam thinks me and Truffle are locked in a cycle, I syringe him, he gets annoyed and stressed and so won’t eat, then I have to intervene again.

It’s hard to know what’s right for him. Stress and syringe, maybe having to go vets tonight for more gut meds, or leave them both there to get all day meds good and fluids, or try and let him eat himself so he’s not stressed by me (just upset at feeling rubbish and ill) :-(

Last edited:
It's hard to get the balance right, isn't it? On the one hand you have to intervene if they're not eating but there is the worry that too much interference will stress them out and exacerbate the stasis.

I strongly suspect that his demeanour is mainly due to the fact he's not feeling well rather than annoyance at you for the syringe feed. I'd look into contacting your vet again to get gut meds and pain relief to administer over the next few days. I always time them to coincide with the syringe feeds so you don't have to disturb him any more than necessary.

Last edited:
It's hard to get the balance right, isn't it

Yeah, it’s hard to know the right things best for each bun. If he just eats it will all be ok but he doesn’t understand when I tell him

That’s good I guess that you think he looks like he’s not as annoyed at me, maybe your right and I should just keep feeding him for now. Issue is he started spitting it out last night lol.
Yeah I see what you mean x

Last edited:
It's hard to get the balance right, isn't it? On the one hand you have to intervene if they're not eating but there is the worry that too much interference will stress them out and exacerbate the stasis.

I strongly suspect that his demeanour is mainly due to the fact he's not feeling well rather than annoyance at you for the syringe feed. I'd look into contacting your vet again to get gut meds and pain relief to administer over the next few days. I always time them to coincide with the syringe feeds so you don't have to disturb him any more than necessary.

I agree with this :thumb:

No nothing ongoing apart from syringe feeding food and probiotic when needed. He had ranitidine yesterday morning and evening that’s it for gut stimulants now.

I’ve tried to give him some space today and he has nibbled some bits of grass and joey&boos dry willow has been well received. So at least he’s trying now and sniffing things. If he’s not interested in dinner in a while I’ll have to syringe because I can’t wait too long for him. Sam thinks me and Truffle are locked in a cycle, I syringe him, he gets annoyed and stressed and so won’t eat, then I have to intervene again.

It’s hard to know what’s right for him. Stress and syringe, maybe having to go vets tonight for more gut meds, or leave them both there to get all day meds good and fluids, or try and let him eat himself so he’s not stressed by me (just upset at feeling rubbish and ill) :-(

I definitely think you should get some gut motility drugs for him ongoing - that's what's usually supplied when a rabbit isn't eating properly. Also ask for some pain relief - Metacam. These things should be able to get him going again, otherwise you are just syringing food and his gut isn't working properly.

It's not the case that he's not eating because he's stressed out by anything you've done. Really not.
Fluids would also be a good idea, as I think you need to get this lad on the road to recovery, and before the weekend and emergency vets and all that jazz.

Love and hugs xxx

Just topping up the vibes for that gorgeous wee lad Truffle and agree with what MM said above. We're all rooting for him here so we hope that he starts showing some interest in food soon. Lillian here sends Truffle a personal hug:love:

I definitely think you should get some gut motility drugs for him ongoing - that's what's usually supplied when a rabbit isn't eating properly. Also ask for some pain relief - Metacam. These things should be able to get him going again, otherwise you are just syringing food and his gut isn't working properly.

It's not the case that he's not eating because he's stressed out by anything you've done. Really not.
Fluids would also be a good idea, as I think you need to get this lad on the road to recovery, and before the weekend and emergency vets and all that jazz.

Love and hugs xxx

Hey MM :) thank you for all the advice I really appreciate it.

I spoke to my RVN friend earlier but she’s had a super busy day so didn’t get back to me till late afternoon. Anyway. She said he may need oral gut drugs Zantac or emaprid, I said he’s not had pain relief so far but nothing has been suggested still.

I think they don’t want to give too much in one go so his guts have a change to get back into a normal rhythm. I mentioned maybe trying infacol to make him more comfortable in case he has gas, but they would prefer to let the drugs he’s had work. So again bit of a rock and a hard place.

Not that I wouldn’t before anyway, but I totally believe your right now that he’s not eating because of me! This evening I syringed him about 6.30pm with recovery and probiotic, then just as I was making up another lot to give not long ago, about 10.30pm he was nibbling in some grass! Which he’s not done between feeds before, so I’m hoping that’s a good sign.
Yes I totally get what you mean! Don’t need any out of hours fun and games, I’ve had far to many of those haha! Xx

Just topping up the vibes for that gorgeous wee lad Truffle and agree with what MM said above. We're all rooting for him here so we hope that he starts showing some interest in food soon. Lillian here sends Truffle a personal hug:love:

Aww thank you so much. It’s so nice to have so much support behind him, he’s rather enjoying the flattery too ;-) lol.

Hey Lillian! I will pass on the bunny hug to Truffy I’m sure he will appreciate it very much. <3

Hey MM :) thank you for all the advice I really appreciate it.

I spoke to my RVN friend earlier but she’s had a super busy day so didn’t get back to me till late afternoon. Anyway. She said he may need oral gut drugs Zantac or emaprid, I said he’s not had pain relief so far but nothing has been suggested still.

I think they don’t want to give too much in one go so his guts have a change to get back into a normal rhythm. I mentioned maybe trying infacol to make him more comfortable in case he has gas, but they would prefer to let the drugs he’s had work. So again bit of a rock and a hard place.

Not that I wouldn’t before anyway, but I totally believe your right now that he’s not eating because of me! This evening I syringed him about 6.30pm with recovery and probiotic, then just as I was making up another lot to give not long ago, about 10.30pm he was nibbling in some grass! Which he’s not done between feeds before, so I’m hoping that’s a good sign.
Yes I totally get what you mean! Don’t need any out of hours fun and games, I’ve had far to many of those haha! Xx

That's a very good sign :) I hope continues to nibble!

This mornings update.

So he didn’t want to get out of bed this morning and wasn’t interested in anything I put under his nose. So I got him out, had a cuddle and game him a syringe feed to get his day off to a good start and hydrate him. He was very good about it, and I think he enjoyed a good belly massage, I felt him sink down and really relax.
He then washed his face and front (we got a bit messy lol) in his castle, then sat on his favourite kitchen chair a while.

All of a sudden about 15 mins ago, for the first time since this all started, he ran into the hall and up the stairs! He loves doing it when I have the hall door open because of the heat, so I’m hoping that means he’s feeling more comfortable!

And right now he’s in the castle having some nibbles on the dry willow from joey&boo <3

I found his night poop which was long stuck together formed but soft balls, then after this mornings feed he did a small pile of tiny bunny nuggets that were hard. So it’s going through still.

Not sure if I should go down to the vets to get oral mobility gut drugs or if this means he can keep going like this now and hopefully keep improving

3384aad07aae28f12521d2318de7b387.jpg

1670426a2f4df79279122a53e611851c.jpg

1e214af635eac37de65ec2ae02291ad6.jpg

292147ad85df4b39871e4db3b82d87d3.jpg

cc47668b69f0ad1312b11c1402d76464.jpg

That all looks hopeful :D

I love the pic of him on the stairs, it certainly does look like he's getting better.

I also like the way you've used the stairs as extra storage .. I was always told off for doing that :lol:

Well, if it were me, I would ask the vet for some oral motility medication and some pain relief. Even if you just have to give it for 3 or 4 days, it might mean that he feels more like eating for himself and you won't feel it's necessary to syringe feed him Syringe-feeding in my view has two downsides, firstly he doesn't really like it and secondly you won't know whether he's not eating because he's got a full tummy or whether he still doesn't feel like food.

That all looks hopeful :D

I love the pic of him on the stairs, it certainly does look like he's getting better.

I also like the way you've used the stairs as extra storage .. I was always told off for doing that :lol:

Yay!!

Haha, yeah everyone likes running up and down the stairs! Luther makes me chuckle because both his ears go up and he gets super excited and bouncy be because he thinks he’s being naughty lol!

Haha! You should see our spare room! I wish we had a bigger hallway to stash things instead lol

Well, if it were me, I would ask the vet for some oral motility medication and some pain relief. Even if you just have to give it for 3 or 4 days, it might mean that he feels more like eating for himself and you won't feel it's necessary to syringe feed him Syringe-feeding in my view has two downsides, firstly he doesn't really like it and secondly you won't know whether he's not eating because he's got a full tummy or whether he still doesn't feel like food.

Ok, thank you :) I appreciate the advice. I’ll message my nurse friend and see if she might be able to get me some bits to take away.

Yeah I totally understand what you mean. The last few days I felt that was an issue but I have tried to put off syringing until I get the gist he’s definitely not bothering himself. I’m actually shocked today as he had a syringe feed about 9.30 am and tummy rub, ever since he keeps grazing on dry forage and grass so I’m hoping this is a good sign.

Thank you :)

Back