• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Excessive drinking in young rabbit

weedug

Mama Doe
:wave: I have a new bunny, who’s 12 weeks old now. He is wonderful so far, eating masses of hay, lovely poops and eating the rabbit royale he was fed before he came here. I’ve just started switching him to Excel junior and dwarf pellets today. He doesn’t have any veg yet.

The only thing that’s worrying me is the amount he’s drinking and urinating. I’m measuring his water today, but think he’s maybe drinking about 400ml. He weighs 2.07kg now, and was 1.94 when he arrived 2 weeks ago. Is that too much? He certainly drinks more now than when he first arrived.

I have been wondering if it might be because I’m not feeding him enough for his age. He gets 3 tbs in the morning and the same in the evening. Does that amount sound ok for a youngster? He’s an English bunny.

He’s really active and runs around doing binkies. Quite a difference to the ill/elderly rabbits I’m used to :lol:

:wave: I have a new bunny, who’s 12 weeks old now. He is wonderful so far, eating masses of hay, lovely poops and eating the rabbit royale he was fed before he came here. I’ve just started switching him to Excel junior and dwarf pellets today. He doesn’t have any veg yet.

The only thing that’s worrying me is the amount he’s drinking and urinating. I’m measuring his water today, but think he’s maybe drinking about 400ml. He weighs 2.07kg now, and was 1.94 when he arrived 2 weeks ago. Is that too much? He certainly drinks more now than when he first arrived.

I have been wondering if it might be because I’m not feeding him enough for his age. He gets 3 tbs in the morning and the same in the evening. Does that amount sound ok for a youngster? He’s an English bunny.

He’s really active and runs around doing binkies. Quite a difference to the ill/elderly rabbits I’m used to :lol:

I am so pleased that you have felt able to take on another Bunny :love: The average water consumption for a Rabbit is 50ml-100ml/kg/24 hours. But Rabbits who only have a dried food diet tend to drink more. Young Bucks may also go through a period of drinking a lot as they hit puberty. This is just an observation I have made over the years, I have know qualified proof of it.

I always give any newly acquired Rabbit a one off 28 day course of Panacur as a precaution. Maybe you could ask your Vet if he/she thinks it may be a good idea.

The amount of RR/Pellets fed could possibly be increased a little as he is going to be a Big Rabbit and unlikely to reach full growth until much later than smaller Breeds.

Have you named him yet ?

Thank you for replying Jane. Maybe I got him a bit early, because I instantly panic when he acts different to Honey. I am getting a bit better though.

He’s called Hopscotch. My daughter named him, and he is already very attached to her. I just get to clean him out and feed him! He already licks hands, and goes honking around our feet.

How much would you suggest feeding him? It’s been so long since I’ve had a youngster I’ve totally forgotten these things.

Do I need to panic about the drinking, or just monitor and see how things go?

Thank you for replying Jane. Maybe I got him a bit early, because I instantly panic when he acts different to Honey. I am getting a bit better though.

He’s called Hopscotch. My daughter named him, and he is already very attached to her. I just get to clean him out and feed him! He already licks hands, and goes honking around our feet.

How much would you suggest feeding him? It’s been so long since I’ve had a youngster I’ve totally forgotten these things.

Do I need to panic about the drinking, or just monitor and see how things go?

I would just monitor his water intake, as I said, IME young Bucks do tend to drink a lot as they approach puberty. Especially once they start spraying !! Re his pellet amounts. If he is gaining weight regularly and also eating loads of hay then really it's not essential that you increase the quantities. Perhaps you could add in 2-3 Fibafirst sticks a day.

https://supremepetfoods.com/products/science-naturals-fibafirst/

Did he never have Veg when he was with his Mum and litter mates ? If he did then it should be OK for him to continue to do so. Fresh herbs too. At 12 weeks I would want to be introducing some fresh food into his diet.

He eats loads of hay. Timothy’s his favourite. He’s gained slightly since he came here, but I’ll be monitoring his weight regularly. The fibafirst sticks are a good idea. I don’t want to fill him up too much with pellets.

The only veg he got with his mum were carrots, which I’ve stopped. I’ve been trying to get some mint for him but it’s never included in my delivery. Perhaps this week if I’m lucky. I didn’t want to start changing to pellets and introduce veg at the same time. I’ve given him a little bit apple leaves and twigs, but not sure how much he enjoyed it.

I’m hoping he won’t be too bad at spraying. He’s already great at using his potties and there’s only poop to sweep up.

You mention Hopscotch is good at urinating in his potties, so that would make me less concerned about any serious health issues.
Jane has already given you excellent advice; so I will just add a great big welcome to your latest addition. You must be so pleased to have a bunny who is already licking you and loving on your daughter.

He eats loads of hay. Timothy’s his favourite. He’s gained slightly since he came here, but I’ll be monitoring his weight regularly. The fibafirst sticks are a good idea. I don’t want to fill him up too much with pellets.

The only veg he got with his mum were carrots, which I’ve stopped. I’ve been trying to get some mint for him but it’s never included in my delivery. Perhaps this week if I’m lucky. I didn’t want to start changing to pellets and introduce veg at the same time. I’ve given him a little bit apple leaves and twigs, but not sure how much he enjoyed it.

I’m hoping he won’t be too bad at spraying.
He’s already great at using his potties and there’s only poop to sweep up.

Oh when he hits puberty you better have constant access to an umbrella ..............!! :lol:

Not sure if you have access to any fresh forage ? A good book to get your hands on if you do https://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/product/foraging-for-rabbits-by-twigs-way/

Thank you both. I’m already discussing with my daughter if she would prefer to be wrapped in plastic or just try wellie boots on the house :lol:

He drank a little less overnight, so yesterday’s total was approximately 500ml. Everything else is fine, it’s just all the drinking that was worrying me.

I do have access to fresh forage Jane. My garden has a good supply of weeds :lol:, and I’m on the outskirts of a village so can collect things easily. I’ll try him on a little bit of something from the garden this evening.

I just wanted to say I’m so happy that you were able to take on a new bunny :love: Hopscotch is a great name :love:

Back