• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

ex breeding "stock" rehoming

I raised this recently under hot topics as I have been thinking about this in relation to ex breeding dogs.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=163676&highlight=raine

Many Tears Rescue taken some ex breeding bitches, longside their other abandoned and relinguished dogs. I feel that having spent their lives in sheds producing litter after litter, they deserve as much right to be taken in by a rescue. They should not be pushed down the ladder below the chav who is producing litters and selling them on the free ads, offloading their stock to rescues. One could say you are helping the Welsh puppy farmers produce more litters by rehoming his ex stock but, in my opinion, they would kill these ex breeding bitches, or sell them for £50. Because of their having spent time only in sheds with other dogs, they do need rehoming with a companion dog and also help with litter training which, I doubt the farmer would tell to the new owner he was selling for £50.00.

As for taking in ex breeding rabbits. If someone is giving up breeding (although they could be lying), yes. If the environment they are being kept in is awful, yes. If the bunny is ex breeding stock and has spent its life in a 3/4 foot hutch, yes. Should these groups of poor animals, go below the family who have grown tired of their rabbit, no. The only time I would not help would be if a breeder was just using a rescue setting by not being responsible and continue to keep contacting with 20/30 bunnies they want help with.

It is important that all rescues have the right to decide how to operate their own rescues and make the decisions they want to make. No one should impose their opinions on that rescue. I think over the years, it seems that each case is individual and is often assessed by the rescue on its merits, and thats the best way forward.

I look at is this way, if you don't take the breeders ex breeding bunnies what will become of them? will they be necked? so yes I would take them, at the end of the day they are still an unwanted bunny looking for a loving home.

I've got two ex breeder buns and two others from the same breeder (who came to me as babies), and I wouldn't change them for th world. Sometimes I really feel rabbits are meant to come to you, and both Badger and Sandy (the ex breeding buns) were so definitely meant to come to me. Who am I to mess with fate :D:lol:

I do agree though, that its not the bunnies fault where they come from, each bun deserves as good a life as the next one.

I just go with fate and take the buns in that I know are meant to come to me. Wherever they come from, that's not an issue for me. If they are meant to be here they are meant to be here.

Have to say Tinkerbell is an ex-breeding bun i figured she'd end up in a rescue anyway so i vacc, spayed and gave her a home and i dont regret it, dreamer adores her. But i do see peoples point about not giving breeders an easy way out.

I look at is this way, if you don't take the breeders ex breeding bunnies what will become of them? will they be necked? so yes I would take them, at the end of the day they are still an unwanted bunny looking for a loving home.

Here here! :censored:How naive to think that if you don't rehome an ex-breeding bun that the breeder will just have to hang onto them and get more - it aint gonna happen.
I have several ex-breeding stock bunnies and they're all living out their lovely lives in peace with me. I wouldn't hesitate. I'm not anti-rescue (have several rescued bunnies too), but my ex-breeding buns have all been at risk of an unpleasant end. The bunnies that desperately need to be kept in mind for rehoming are the uppy eared English spotty ones. Breeders will dispose of them if they have even a tiny spot in the wrong place, and they're lovely rabbits.
The downside for the poor bubs is that they cost money, and breeders just won't keep them.:(

Head- No, I would not take a retired breeding Rabbit

Heart- Yes,I would take a retired breeding rabbit

Just aswell I am not taking in any more Rabbits as heart always rules head.

One of my mums buns is an ex breeding rabbit (who she got via a rescue). When she got her she was in good condition and had been neutered by the rescue but was very nervous. It has been so rewarding watching her come out of her shell and develop a personality of her own. She was terrified of her husbun when she first met him but now he is permanently damp from her washing him. I think she was definately deserving of a good home. I believe she had been kept well as a breeding bun but in many ways breeding buns are abused as they dont get to interact with other buns and behave naturally with them

I don't think there is anything wrong about taking on ex-breeding rabbits. It's the same as some people preferring to go to a breeder for their rabbits. That's different from 'saving' rabbits from a bad breeder though.

I do think it's wrong for breeders to rehome through rescue though, like the cases of the dogs. If they have retired stock it should be the breeders responsibility to find homes not a rescues.

What's your opinion on this?:D

It's a difficult one. The trouble is unless you have endless capacity you are just saving one rabbit and they'll be half a dozen more taking their place. You're setting a bad president and helping the breeder out. So ideally it's best to stand back and try and solve the root problem rather than the individual one. If the rabbit is ill or its welfare is seriously at risk then you can go the legal routes.

There are probably thousands of rabbits living in small hutches (which is probably the most common complaint), just as many in private homes as breeders - probably more. Obviously if your going to 'save' a bunny odds are you'll pick the one in front of you, but from an academic stand point you'd achieve more picking one from a rescue or private home.

The more I think about this the more I get really confused :lol: I think it has to depend on all circumstances..Liz's Eddie, was taken from a breeder, I would never regret helping Kris rescue him :?

I have actually ended up with quite a few, not through choice as such just the way it has worked out.

Eddie, Fidget, Evie, Geordie :roll: I think Elwood was too, Fern, Flint, April Revel, the list goes on

I haven't read the whole thread, but I guess at the end of the day all bunnies come from some sort of breeder, I supose it depends on the individual where you decide to draw the line on whether you are rescuing a bunny or helping a breeder restock :?

Head- No, I would not take a retired breeding Rabbit

Heart- Yes,I would take a retired breeding rabbit

That sums up exactly how I feel. I would want to take on an exbreeding doe would had lived her whole life in a tiny hutch producing litter after litter and give her a loving home with lots of space. She would be very deserving of a new home. However, I would not want to support the breeder in any way.:?

it is a tricky one.... by taking on an ex breeder it is giving the breeder the ability to easily go on with dispensable bunnies when they have served their purpose

but by taking on a rescue bunny that someone has got tired of when it outgrows the baby stage, is that not enabling people to do that very thing too. they get rid of the bunny when they get tired of it, and because this is so common, people do it without a second thought. its an easy option

Back