• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Esme's got belly ache... U/D P 11 Elijah.but.. now okay.

I didn't think of Excel Light - it's definitely worth looking into. :thumb:

Either that or dropping the pellets altogether as you first suggested - she would probably feel like she was missing out if you fed the others in front of her (rattling their food bowls etc) but she might be just as easily pleased if you fed her some of her veg portion in place of the pellets. If that makes sense (I know what I'm trying to say lol).

I didn't think of Excel Light - it's definitely worth looking into. :thumb:

Either that or dropping the pellets altogether as you first suggested - she would probably feel like she was missing out if you fed the others in front of her (rattling their food bowls etc) but she might be just as easily pleased if you fed her some of her veg portion in place of the pellets. If that makes sense (I know what I'm trying to say lol).

There is only Artie in the same room and he's the least bothered about pellets of all the bunnies, so I *could* consider not giving them to him either. My main issue with that is Artie eats his Excel gradually from about 11pm to when I get up. I gauge how well Artie is feeling by how much Excel he's eaten through the night/24 hours. I'm so much in the habit of that I hate to change it. Esme on the other hand gets about 1/3 the amount of pellets that Artie does and they are gone in 5 minutes. She does do about 10 laps of her pen when she seems me pick up the pellet tub though so she does burn some calories off in anticipation :lol::lol:

Edit to add: I could probably get a way with giving her a handful of dried plantain instead of pellets - she gets equally excited and probably wouldn't really register she got a substitute as she'd be equally pleased :D

Last edited:
Thank you so much everybody :wave:

I'm glad your fright turned out not to be serious too.

U/D from vets

Esme is a lot brighter this morning but hasn't yet eaten anything for herself. This doesn't surprise me greatly with Esme. She's had Metacam, Domperidone and Zantac and will continue to be syringe fed and medicated until she improves enough to come home.

*lily* this isn't the first time I've blamed spring greens so maybe I need to think seriously about finding an alternative.

Karen - I've been aware Esme's overweight for about two years :oops::oops: I've cut her pellets down and she gets less than the other bunnies that are all (except Elijah) about the same natural weight as her but she just doesn't shift the wieght. I might seriously have to do a no pellet diet but I've been too soft on her and I know Excel is the highlight of her day. I need to look into it all (lifestyle etc) more deeply. From what the vet said last night the concern was 'the physiology we are dealing with' ie not a lecture about her being fat but the fact that if she doesn't eat then the fast breaks down and enters the liver therefore making the liver fatty and preventing it from working properly. There's so much more to these thing than is obvious on the surface.

I now just feed herbs and hay and haven't had a problem following this diet :D (Louie, not me! :lol::lol:).

Great news!

Thank you.

.............before she eats them out of house and home !! :lol:
So glad to hear that she is feeling better xx

:lol::lol::lol: They'll charge you extra for all the food she's been consuming. :lol: I'm so glad she's coming home. :D

:lol::lol::lol: Anybody would think she liked her food :?

Thanksies :D

I'm not going to say how much it costs to drag NHB out at midnight but let's just say thank god I've only had to do 'silly o'clock' once in 6.5 years of keeping rabbits :shock::shock::shock: Actually, it wasn't that awful in isolation (less than a lot I've seen on here) and the nurse got 1.5 hours overtime too (also perfecty reasonably as Esme did need nursing especially feeding) but it did stack up a bit *gulp*. That said, I'm so, so pleased I've got somewhere I can take them where I know they will be x-rayed and nursed. It's lovely to have her back again :love::love::love:

glad she's all better:D

in all honesty, i wish i had such a good emergency vet - i paid a small fortune for utter tosh last year when my esme was really ill.

sadly, its the only 24/7 cover around here.

I'm not going to say how much it costs to drag NHB out at midnight but let's just say thank god I've only had to do 'silly o'clock' once in 6.5 years of keeping rabbits :shock::shock::shock:

*gulp* I dread to think. :shock:

Back