• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Esme's got belly ache... U/D P 11 Elijah.but.. now okay.

The Gripe Water was opened in sept 09 but has been in the fridge since being opened. Is it any good? :oops: Tescos is only 10 minutes away so easy enough to get some fresh (assuming it's still open). I've written 2ml per kg of bunny - does that sound right? Thank you

Binx and Shadow begging and lively - thank god.

I would not use the opened bottle.
I give 1-2ml/kg

I would not use the opened bottle.
I give 1-2ml/kg

Thanks. I decided to go to Tescos for some fresh.

I've just tried giving Gw to both. Unfortunately I have a trapped nerve in my arm and have been in agony 2 days which isn't helping. Elijah was like a feral cat including the hissing :cry::cry: There's no way between us I can get a syringe in his mouth without one or both of us being injured. Esme gave me a similar rebuff and I'm now in agony :cry: I'll try again later and as Esme is nibbling I'll try metacam on food (might as well try this with Elijah as well). They've both been chased round at least. I'm not worrying about serious illness ie blockage as they are both so fiesty but I would like to control/cure the pain for them if they'd co-operate.

Sending lots of vibes :( xxx

Thanks. Thanks everybody for vibes and advice. I would be lost without it.

Elijah has just gone to his dish then bolted away - carrying the Crunchie I left there about an hour ago and scoffed it in his 'safe' place :D:D

Esme is currently ignoring bramble leaf, dandelion, carroty, crunchie and Excel. From her mannerisms however I've a strong feeling she will eat some of it when she thinks I'm not watching as my fussing has been annoying her. She is alert and not looking in pain.

Artie has gone to his dish to eat Excel which is the first time since Wednesday when he had his bladder expressed and his belly shaved - so I'm really pleased to see him looking enthuisastic. Just off to offer Excel to Erin and Elijah - hopefully he's feeling a lot better now.

Oh no, what a worry Alison. :(

I feel for you - dh and I struggle to syringe meds to quite well behaved bunnies between the two of us. Syringing a feisty bun single-handedly would scare the pants off me. :shock:

It sounds like they're both picking up a little, which is good news. :) Sending lots of vibes. xxx

wish i was nearer! i could help you syringe yours if you could help me!

really hope they pick up soon. no idea what has 'caused' eric's episode - nor why it has lasted so long:?

Oh no, what a worry Alison. :(

I feel for you - dh and I struggle to syringe meds to quite well behaved bunnies between the two of us. Syringing a feisty bun single-handedly would scare the pants off me. :shock:

It sounds like they're both picking up a little, which is good news. :) Sending lots of vibes. xxx

Thanks. I really need to learn how to be hands on. Even Artie who is such a softy is a struggle to syringe meds.

wish i was nearer! i could help you syringe yours if you could help me!

really hope they pick up soon. no idea what has 'caused' eric's episode - nor why it has lasted so long:?

The not knowing if awful. Bad as it sounds here because two of them got it at the same time I felt almost relieved that it as 'just' a tummy upset rather than panicking about blockages. I hope you get to sussing out Eric soon, or that he makes a 100% recovery.

I'm pleased to say I just popped in to see Elijah and he came bounding over to seem me with his usual cheery face and a piece of hay sticking out of his mouth - he was fancying his chances of getting another crunchie. :love::love: Esme looks fine. She's watching me and preening. The 'not eating' is her only symptom now.

Thanks.

Elijah is fine now. He's even eaten all his E#cel (keyboard is broke now!)

I've been trying to get a blood glucose reading from Esme. I've trimed the hair off the edge of her ear but I've fired the needle at her ear about 6 times without managing to get some blood. I don't actually know if I need to aim at a vein or just the ear :oops: I really need to do it before I have any chance of rela#ing.

Well I didn't manage the blood glucose reading and I wasn't going to relax without knowing. Esme started flopping and stretching again and had refused all food for about an hour so I decided it was time to take her to the vets. 12.20 am when we arrived :oops::oops: So I wrecked NHB's sleep pattern as well as his tea.:?
She was x-rayed and result was good. It allegedly showed an empty stomach, I've been with her all day and she's been active and eating.:? It also didn't show a lot of gas, so very good news. I had her fat pointed out to me though which I'm torturing myself over as that has to be entirely MY fault. :cry::cry: It was important that she should be syringe fed over night as she carries this fat and this mustn't make her liver fat, which it could if she doesn't eat. Her blood glucose was 14.5 so was borderline in the range that I would have taken her in anyway if I had managed to get a reading.

She has stayed over and I get to know how she is in the morning. She was thumping all the time in the #ray room with the nurse so didn't sound much like a sick rabbit :oops::oops: Anyway, hopefully she's alright.

And Elijah is well and truly in good form now.

I'm glad you got your Esme help and I hope she improves and is okay by the morning. Its good that she was thumping. Hope your other bunny stays okay too. Try and have some sleep now. :)

I had a fright tonight too but it turned out to be gas.

So I wrecked NHB's sleep pattern as well as his tea.:?

:lol: The joys of being a vet, eh? I'm sure he's used to it. ;)

I hope you get some good news this morning and that Elijah is still himself. :D

Don't beat yourself up about the fat .... does this mean she needs to join bunny weight watchers now?

Bunnies and their stomachs, so delicate aren't they?

I don't feed spring greens to Louie having had some gassy episodes with previous rabbits :(

Hope that everyone is well this morning xxx

Thank you so much everybody :wave:

I had a fright tonight too but it turned out to be gas.

I'm glad your fright turned out not to be serious too.

U/D from vets

Esme is a lot brighter this morning but hasn't yet eaten anything for herself. This doesn't surprise me greatly with Esme. She's had Metacam, Domperidone and Zantac and will continue to be syringe fed and medicated until she improves enough to come home.

*lily* this isn't the first time I've blamed spring greens so maybe I need to think seriously about finding an alternative.

Karen - I've been aware Esme's overweight for about two years :oops::oops: I've cut her pellets down and she gets less than the other bunnies that are all (except Elijah) about the same natural weight as her but she just doesn't shift the wieght. I might seriously have to do a no pellet diet but I've been too soft on her and I know Excel is the highlight of her day. I need to look into it all (lifestyle etc) more deeply. From what the vet said last night the concern was 'the physiology we are dealing with' ie not a lecture about her being fat but the fact that if she doesn't eat then the fast breaks down and enters the liver therefore making the liver fatty and preventing it from working properly. There's so much more to these thing than is obvious on the surface.

Thank you so much everybody :wave:

I'm glad your fright turned out not to be serious too.

U/D from vets

Esme is a lot brighter this morning but hasn't yet eaten anything for herself. This doesn't surprise me greatly with Esme. She's had Metacam, Domperidone and Zantac and will continue to be syringe fed and medicated until she improves enough to come home.

*lily* this isn't the first time I've blamed spring greens so maybe I need to think seriously about finding an alternative.

Karen - I've been aware Esme's overweight for about two years :oops::oops: I've cut her pellets down and she gets less than the other bunnies that are all (except Elijah) about the same natural weight as her but she just doesn't shift the wieght. I might seriously have to do a no pellet diet but I've been too soft on her and I know Excel is the highlight of her day. I need to look into it all (lifestyle etc) more deeply. From what the vet said last night the concern was 'the physiology we are dealing with' ie not a lecture about her being fat but the fact that if she doesn't eat then the fast breaks down and enters the liver therefore making the liver fatty and preventing it from working properly. There's so much more to these thing than is obvious on the surface.

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformation.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/HepaticLipidosisRabbit.html

I hope that Esme will soon be home xx

I didn't realise that. :shock: Obviously we know that being overweight isn't good but I think it helps to know the reason why.

Are Excel pellets quite fattening I wonder? :? And are there others that she could eat that are less fattening, but so she doesn't feel like she's missing out?

I didn't realise that. :shock: Obviously we know that being overweight isn't good but I think it helps to know the reason why.

Are Excel pellets quite fattening I wonder? :? And are there others that she could eat that are less fattening, but so she doesn't feel like she's missing out?

There's a lot of stuff to do with diet I've only leant in the last few years. I'm ashamed to say I didn't understand why we or rabbits need fibre until after Scrabble had died 3 years ago I saw a documentary on human diet and what lack of fibre does and I was so shocked and realised how important it was for rabbits also. (How could have have got past 40 and not know something so important? :?). This fat/liver issues is a real revelation too. Allison, a vet who has seen Esme a few times mentioned liver issues with Esme carrying fat but I didn't understand it as well as when NHB explained it in the early hours.

There is an Excel Light I could consider. I don't think Excel is any worse than any other and I think *probably* pellets at all would be unnecessary and she does eat loads of hay, happy with greens etc. I can't remember the details but I think Excel light would be beneficial to Artie as well so I might just look into that option.

Back