• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Echo's PostMortem

I always make sure there is a gap so the duvet is not pressed to the hutch, and air can get between the cage and the duvet, and with all the fireworks and how skittish some buns can be, it was to dampen the noise.

Thank you for suggesting I killed her.

Thats a bit dramatic :shock:

I was only pointing out that "wrapping them up really warm at night" as you stated in your OP is actually quite a dangerous thing to do for bunnies health. Sorry to try to give some helpful advice :?

So sorry you have lost her:(

I cover all my hutches up really well with insulation and tarps so they are wind and water tight - I doubt anyone thinks you killed her - she was just very unlucky. Isn't pneumonia normally secondary to something else? She may have had something underlying that made her prone to developing pnuemonia?

Liz, it was not any of your comments that was aimed at.

There was another single comment that in all fairness I took to state it was my own fault.

I have never in past had comment passed on me using duvets in winter and on firework night, so how was I to know? :(

So sorry you have lost her:(

I cover all my hutches up really well with insulation and tarps so they are wind and water tight - I doubt anyone thinks you killed her - she was just very unlucky. Isn't pneumonia normally secondary to something else? She may have had something underlying that made her prone developing pnuemonia?

I agree with this, Belgain Hares are quite fragile creatures. I have known of others that have died quite young with various resperatory problems. In fact my Vet warned us of this before we got Django.

I'm sure that a lot of people cover their rabbits up really snuggly and don't encounter Pneumonia, I would imagine that she had something underlying that contributed to the Pneumonia.

I lost my Simba to Pneumonia, very quickly, in Spring time and he only had a tarpaulin over the run bit of his hutch so assume that he to had another underlying illness.

I'm so very sorry that you lost him but please don't think anyone is saying it is your fault.

Liz, it was not any of your comments that was aimed at.

There was another single comment that in all fairness I took to state it was my own fault.

I have never in past had comment passed on me using duvets in winter and on firework night, so how was I to know? :(

:roll: probably mine then, though you know thats not what i meant

I cover mine the roof of mine with duvets to stops the ice/frost and have never had a problem. The hutches are large (8ft by 3ft by 3ft) and airy inside. However I really suspect that Echo must have had something underlying.

I am sure Echo did have underlying problems, I have lost bunnies myself to acute pneumonia :(

But it would be irrisponsible of me not to point out that the advice given in the OP could have detrimental affects on a bunnies health especially one that does have underlying health problems.

No-one was suggesting that Kris killed her bunny, Vikki was only agreeing with my posts and adding her veterinary knowledge which I am greatful for. :)

I'm sorry you lost Echo.
I lost a bunny to pneumonia many years ago. Looking back, there were signs that she probably had pasteurella or similar (unexplained abscesses etc) but of course I didn't realise it at the time. Once I realised she was ill it was over in a matter of hours. Sorry for waffling but what I'm trying to say is that I agree there probably was an underlying problem, and that it may not have been apparent xx

I am sure Echo did have underlying problems, I have lost bunnies myself to acute pneumonia :(

But it would be irrisponsible of me not to point out that the advice given in the OP could have detrimental affects on a bunnies health especially one that does have underlying health problems.

No-one was suggesting that Kris killed her bunny, Vikki was only agreeing with my posts and adding her veterinary knowledge which I am greatful for. :)

Thanks Liz, i did mean to also agree that she probably had either an underlying problem or a weak immune system.

So sorry to hear about Echo. I'm quite sure you did everything possible to make her better Kris and no-one would think badly of you for trying to keep her snug and warm. I'd probably have done a similar thing myself - we can only ever do what we think is best for our bunnies. Big hugs to you.

But I would say 'ditto' to Liz and Vikki's suggestions regarding ventilation. My own bunny-savvy vet says a dry hutch with a howling gale rattling through it is far healthier than a hutch all done up with covers. I'm actually starting to wonder is that's why one of my sheds is developing mould on the inside. There's very little air-flow, despite a constantly open bunny flap, so I've cleaned it all out today and I'll be leaving the door to the run open during the day this week to see if it stops it coming back. The buns are lovely and dry - about a foot :shock: of fresh barley straw to snuggle into so they won't be cold.

I really don't hink anyone is suggesting its your fault, my Lionel has severe pneumonia and he is an indoor bun, his immune system is weak he has had abcesses and he probably has other problems we don't know about as well, there was nothing i could do to prevent it and i really don't think you could have done either. So sorry you lost her :cry:

I have a block of 3 hutches for the fosters the back is up against the fence, one side is up against the house and the other side is up against a shed, i have been giving them extra hay in this weather and they are covered with tarpaulin at night which i pull down at a slight angle and weigh the front down with bricks so the air still circulates behind the gap if that makes sense :?

Back