• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ear infection

glitterdust

Warren Scout
Hi
Norah had a lopsided face and was out of sorts in herself. I took her to the vets and they drained Her tear ducts but I knew something else was going on. I examined Her myself and found a lump behind Norah's ear and took her to my regular vet and they referred Her to the animal hospital. They diagnosed ear infections in both ears , she had a G.A , Her ears flushed and swabs sent away and they lanced the Lump. They did say an operation on both ears would be an option.Swabs came back E coli, so she's on baytril and another antibiotic metradonizole (I think that's how you spell it) fibreplex and metacam. She's been on these for four weeks now and the vet suggested another flush soon. I do not want to go down the operation road, not because I am not a good bunny mum, I do everything for my two bunnies, but Norah is 8 years old and I think 2 operations is just too much for her.. Has anybody had this situation and chose not to operate and managed it another way? The Cost is not an issue. Suffering and pain is a big issue for me. As it stands now she is fine, she eats, skips , chases us, lives a beautiful life with Her husbun, she is fussy with certain foods but she might be like this anyway. I'm not sure what to do for the best. The first vet I spoke to said because of her age she would advise to try every other option rather than surgery, the second vet said surgery would be beneficial but still not 100% curable... I'm confused and would love to hear what other people had done in this situation.
Thank you in advance
Xxxxxxx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Hi
Norah had a lopsided face and was out of sorts in herself. I took her to the vets and they drained Her tear ducts but I knew something else was going on. I examined Her myself and found a lump behind Norah's ear and took her to my regular vet and they referred Her to the animal hospital. They diagnosed ear infections in both ears , she had a G.A , Her ears flushed and swabs sent away and they lanced the Lump. They did say an operation on both ears would be an option.Swabs came back E coli, so she's on baytril and another antibiotic metradonizole (I think that's how you spell it) fibreplex and metacam. She's been on these for four weeks now and the vet suggested another flush soon. I do not want to go down the operation road, not because I am not a good bunny mum, I do everything for my two bunnies, but Norah is 8 years old and I think 2 operations is just too much for her.. Has anybody had this situation and chose not to operate and managed it another way? The Cost is not an issue. Suffering and pain is a big issue for me. As it stands now she is fine, she eats, skips , chases us, lives a beautiful life with Her husbun, she is fussy with certain foods but she might be like this anyway. I'm not sure what to do for the best. The first vet I spoke to said because of her age she would advise to try every other option rather than surgery, the second vet said surgery would be beneficial but still not 100% curable... I'm confused and would love to hear what other people had done in this situation.
Thank you in advance
Xxxxxxx

I had a Rabbit with chronic otitis who could not have surgery due to other health problems. Whilst his infection was never cured it was contained on long term antibiotics and analgesia. Ear canal resection and ablation is major invasive surgery and I would only consider it as a very last resort. The procedure cannot guarantee being curative.

Some additional information :

https://www.rvc.ac.uk/clinical-connections/rabbit-ear-base-abscesses

https://www.veterinarywebinars.com/...oads/2016/03/Study_Notes_Ear_Nose_Rabbits.pdf

It seems the antibiotics aren't working [emoji853] the lump came back again after 4 weeks, she is booked for another flush on wednesday and X-rays. They took another swab and one ear was clear the other was not so I dont know how the lump has reformed, I really don't want to be in a situation where it is operation or pts. I think i would go with the op so i didn't feel guilty but then she could suffer and not make it anyway.. What age is classed as old for a bunny?
Is there anything I can suggest to the vet on Wednesday for us to try. He said she has the correct antibiotics for the bacteria she has. He took her off the metrodonazole after 3 weeks and kept on with the baytril.
I'm so confused.
Xxxxx

Back