• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dust free hay

I'm scared to open my huge bale now. :(

It'll probably be ok :) My two are munching away on it now, I've only had one bag that they didn't eat much of. It just doesn't seem to be as nice as a few months ago :? I was really happy with it when I started getting it a few months ago, but I think if this was my first experience with it, it wouldn't convince me to get more!

I suspect they've just changed onto a different season cut or something as the hay type varies through the year - it does say on the site preference when available. My most recent lot is much softer and whilst the buns do eat it, they much prefer the really coarser stalkier stuff and eat loads more of that.

I've also had the straw and it gets a huge thumbs up from me and the buns, it's incredibly soft and cosy. If you look at the packaging it does say 'dust free straw' instead of hay and they cable tie it in a different colour. I also discovered that you can mix 'n' batch for a set of 5 or 10 - the limitation is the website, so when I last ordered, I put 5 of each on the page but then emailed and asked for 7 hay 3 straw and that is what arrived :D

Sarah if your lot turn their noses up at the stuff you've bought, I'll buy it off you, although it doesn't help getting hay for your lot!

Just thought I'd check out the dust free hay co. and I'm shocked how much the dust free hay co. hay is!!

How long does 1 small bale last? for how many bunnies/piggies??

xx

Just thought I'd check out the dust free hay co. and I'm shocked how much the dust free hay co. hay is!!

How long does 1 small bale last? for how many bunnies/piggies??

xx

Its actually pretty cheap compared to some hay you get online. If you bulk buy the bags it costs £5 per 2kg bag of timothy hay. One bag lasts my two medium sized buns around 9 days. It would last longer, but one of their favourite things to do is to pull it out of the rack, stamp on it, wee on it, then act like they are starving when I give them fresh stuff :lol:

Norman(dustfree hay man) has sent me 5 more sacks of hay free of charge :D :D .. He's sent the coarse longer strands and they are eating it .. From now on I'll order the soft hay as they like that better but thought I'd just post what a good man he is.

I've finally started my big bale (of soft hay) now, and it's definitely going down well with the bunnies (phew) - the piggies are still on an older bag, so don't know what they'll think of the change.

Norman(dustfree hay man) has sent me 5 more sacks of hay free of charge :D :D .. He's sent the coarse longer strands and they are eating it .. From now on I'll order the soft hay as they like that better but thought I'd just post what a good man he is.

Wow, thats really good of him. At least the buns and pigs are eating it.

I used to buy Dust free hay until I found a farm about 20 minutes away where I can buy a bale for £2.40! and it lasts a month :D

check the colour of the plastic tie at the top of the bag ;)

the coarse hay ties are black

i think the soft ones are white and the straw is green... and its lovely and soft...

theyve started doing timothy hay which is fantastic but dont really want to change again now ive found something that works...

i use 10 bags in 3 months.... and i have 25 buns and they have constant hay and eat as much as they want... but theyre mainly small rabbits

x becky

I use dustfree. My bunnies love the stalkier hay. The last batch of 10 they send the softer one as I guess stalky was out of stock. Buns weren't so keen on it so didn't eat as much but still ate it. This latest 10 sack bundle looks like its def the stalky as they've got the black clips on them x:D

What colour are the ties on the timothy hay? Does anyone know? Only the last lot of hay I've had doesn't look like normal and has a black tie on the top. I can't remember if its always been that colour :?

Back