• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dried forage?

0XBunnyta

Warren Scout
I collect some dried forage around the garden for my bunnies but this year i've decided i want to create a small mini online business. I had the idea of selling some custom fleece items etc like everyone does and some homemade toys but i was also thinking about treats.

I know there are big companies that sell apple twigs in packets but i just think they're over priced for what you get and would like to sell some apple twigs and leaves from the tree at home. My only concern is that i don't really know how to make sure they are 'safe' i'd hate to be to blame if there was any bad bacteria or anything on something I've sold. Normally if i'm making dried forage i wash, dry and microwave leaves so they don't get cooked in the oven but any microorganisms are killed but ive always just fed branches fresh and washed so don't know how to go about that?

Is there anything i need to do in order to be able to sell dried forage/ herbs and twigs etc? and there are no laws on this kind of thing are there? :') that i'm not allowed to sell it without it having a safety certificate or something? i sound like a wally but you never know these days! :wave:

I collect some dried forage around the garden for my bunnies but this year i've decided i want to create a small mini online business. I had the idea of selling some custom fleece items etc like everyone does and some homemade toys but i was also thinking about treats.

I know there are big companies that sell apple twigs in packets but i just think they're over priced for what you get and would like to sell some apple twigs and leaves from the tree at home. My only concern is that i don't really know how to make sure they are 'safe' i'd hate to be to blame if there was any bad bacteria or anything on something I've sold. Normally if i'm making dried forage i wash, dry and microwave leaves so they don't get cooked in the oven but any microorganisms are killed but ive always just fed branches fresh and washed so don't know how to go about that?

Is there anything i need to do in order to be able to sell dried forage/ herbs and twigs etc? and there are no laws on this kind of thing are there? :') that i'm not allowed to sell it without it having a safety certificate or something? i sound like a wally but you never know these days!
:wave:

Not to my knowledge. Maybe pm Galen, or rabbit nutrition.

I've never known bacteria probs from forage. Sometimes the rich forage "disagrees" with a bun as can any food. we usually just wash & dry.
What we really need on RU is a central source of blackthorn leaves for the severe tummy bunnies. When they need them they eat a lot. Problem they can only be eaten after the sloes are fully ripe until leaf fall. I've only got 1 spare crate this year & can probably only help 2 bunnies.

Back