• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dopey-Mega Vibes Needed - U/D 15th Feb - :-)

Thanks everyone :)
He (Dopey :rolleyes::lol:) is very bright but he has not eaten since last Monday :cry: He is having syringe feeds and I am hoping that being in a 'Bunny Environment' will mean he'll see all the other Buns scoffing and follow their lead.
I cant begin to imagin the pain he must have been in :cry: He's on lots of meds to help now though :)

Janex

I bet he is feeling a bit dopey with all his pain meds. Poor little chap. How is he at taking the syringe feeds?

How is he at taking the syringe feeds?

He is actually taking them quite well, about 20mls each feed. His poor jaw feels dreadful though :cry:
He is amazingly bright within himself, all things considered. I just wish we could get him to eat for himself. He can manage to 'gum' the bars of his cage ( no Incisors so he can only 'gum' ) when he wants attention !! So if he can do that why cant/wont he eat soft food :?

Janex

He is actually taking them quite well, about 20mls each feed. His poor jaw feels dreadful though :cry:
He is amazingly bright within himself, all things considered. I just wish we could get him to eat for himself. He can manage to 'gum' the bars of his cage ( no Incisors so he can only 'gum' ) when he wants attention !! So if he can do that why cant/wont he eat soft food :?

Janex

Perhaps the infection in his jaw is more painful on his molars because more force needs to exerted for longer to grind anything and involves moving his whole jaw, perhaps it is simply that it hurts to open his jaws wide enough to accomodate it at the back of his mouth.

Or maybe the cold of the bars is soothing on his sore mouth?

He had his Incisors removed ( not by Christabel ) and it appears that during the proceedure his jaw was broken. Infection tract in from where his Incisors were and went all around his jaw, into his gums and behind his right eye.

:cry:

Janex

That really is a horror story :cry: I would be making a complaint about the vets that done the op :evil:
Hope he has a good weekend with you Jane :)

Dopey still wont eat :cry: He remains very bright within himself and seems to be benefiting from seeing lots of other Bunnies.

Please keep the vibes coming

Janex

Bless him. How long has he been off his food for?

Loads more (((vibes))) going your way, for once I actually dont need any of them :rolleyes:

He had his Incisors removed ( not by Christabel ) and it appears that during the proceedure his jaw was broken. Infection tract in from where his Incisors were and went all around his jaw, into his gums and behind his right eye.

:cry:

Janex

oh poor baby :( :( :(

Bless him. How long has he been off his food for?

Loads more (((vibes))) going your way, for once I actually dont need any of them :rolleyes:

Since last Monday :cry:

He has just tried to hump my arm though :rolleyes:
What is it about my flippin' arm. Harry now has competition :lol:

Janex

Hi Jane - and everyone else :wave:

Our Tilly-Mint had a broken jaw and had to be syringe fed for 6 weeks - her jaw was actually wired though :?
I would think that the less movement in his mouth the better at the moment - it must be very fragile - poor little man :( But, it's a really good sign that he is so bright within himself - even if he has tried to hump your arm :oops::lol::lol::lol:

Speaking from personal experience with a bun who did have severe dental problems and also abscesses that nearly ate the jaw away - I found that the syringe feeding was the best for her :D She eventually started to nibble on things by herself but they where cut up so finely you would think that they had been in a blender:rolleyes::lol::lol: Also, add fine oats and baby food to just a teeny amount of really fine veggies and offer him them - keep on offering and eventually he will try it and have a go :D It does take a long while but you can get there :D

He will be fine if he's on the pain meds to allievate the pain he is in but his jaw is going to feel very tender and also stiff - it won't yet be sitting right for him and he has to adjust;)

He sounds adorable and we would all love to see a picture of him - or lots of pictures :D:D:D

Also, try him with warm weetabix and maybe some warm oats - just keep them there for him and see if he attempts a little nibble - once he realises it won't hurt then he may get braver :D:D

My brother aggravated an old jaw injury in a drunken escapade recently :roll: And was on soup/other liquid food for a few weeks! At least he knew why it was hurting too, poor bun probably doesn't want to even try nibbling anything as all he'll know is last time he did it, it hurt him a lot :(

Back