• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dominance seems sorted, but the humping goes on - help.

BevBunny

Mama Doe
I've always been a bit concerned about Darwin and Lavenders bond, he was still very hormonal when he first came to live with us - they did a lot of humping each other and it was obvious that Lavender wanted to be dominant but Darwin kept humping her anyhow cos he was hormonal. It mostly only happened at night, so we separated them with mesh at night for 6 weeks or so, and it stopped, they've now been properly together for a few months with no humping, lots of snuggling, playing etc. However, I was concerned that it was a proper bond still cos they'd get tetchy with each other on the odd occassion.

Lavender has now started to hump him, he just lets her, and doesn't try to hump her back. He grooms her when she presents to him, she steals food off him etc etc so it seems to be that she is dominant, but she won't stop humping him. I've just been fussing Darwin and noticed he's got a bald patch on the back of his neck with 4 little cuts. It must be wear Lavender is grabbing his fur when she humps him. I'm about to bathe it, and will keep a close eye on it.

Any ideas why she continues to hump him? Or anything I can do to stop it? Most of the time they're absolutely lovely together so I don't think I need to separate them.

Back