• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Doesn't want to join in ...

Hi all, am new on here and hoping someone will have advice to dispense ...
Having very fond memories of a rex rabbit i had as a child i recently decided to purchase (after much thought) a 8 week old lively rex rabbit for myself and 9 year old son with the intention of her being a "partial" house rabbit - in with us when at home but out in a large chicken coop type hutch when not.
When she first arrived (we have had her about 6 weeks) i acclimatised her to the house within a part of the kicthen where she was happy to interact with us (providing we didn't try to pick her up) and would use her litter tray.
Unfortunately after an incident where she mistook my son's finger for a yoghurt drop he is undertandably wary and is lacking in interest but i have persisted and now when in she has free run of the house - she is happy hopping around and sniffing us if i place her in the front room but ignores her litter tray despite there being one in the original place in kitchen and the one out of her hutch in the front room - she tends to poop where she stops and has recently taken to "messing" on the sofa. After being in the room for about half an hour she retires to the kitchen to hide round the back of the sofa and will stay there until i take her outside - which strikes me as she is unhappy being in with us ... She loves having the run of the garden but this can be limited due to the weather or the fact that we can't watch over her all the time (and am worried that the neighbour's cat will get her)
My questions being:
Is she retiring to a quiet corner because she is uncomfortable with our company or does she feel insecure? Is it just a case of time and patience?
Can i stop her from pooping all over my front room carpet and sofa?
Would it be better just to get her a female friend so that human interaction is not required as much and there is less need to bring her in with us? Really don't want to go for this option if i can help it as wanted her to be part of the family but at this rate she is going to be alone for the majority of the time.
I know she hasn't been with us for long but would really appreciate advice on how we can make her happy ...
I was hoping it would just be a case of time but have been out to her tonight for feeding and fuss (as she didn't come in with us last night) and whilst she didn't bite me did make an aggresive move towards me, which makes me think that she is still not comfortable around me. I hate to think that she is an unhappy or lonely bunny, what can i do to help?

Last edited:
Hiya, welcome to RU! :wave:

I'm sorry your son had a bad experience. These things will happen though, and hopefully he's mature enough to understand and forgive her. Just some pointers:

*Get her spayed - this is the first major step in littertraining. It'll also prevent uterine cancer (almost certain to develop otherwise) and should result in her becoming calmer and happier long term.

* Get her a friend. Rabbits would naturally live in large groups, so need somebun to snuggle with, play with and 'talk' to. It is possible to bond 2 does (so long as they're both spayed!) but a buck/doe bond is far more likely to be successful. He needs to be neutered too, or they may still fight. I can't recommend adopting a husbun from rescue strongly enough, as he'll be neutered and vaccinated already. Many rescues will even take care of the bonding for you, and it'll work out cheaper in the long run.

* Spend loads of time with her, on her level (lying on the floor), talking softly and moving calmly. Hand feed her, and avoid picking her up unless absolutely necessary. Encourage your son to do the same.

* Get her a nice big enclosed run for outside. This way she can be out as much as you like without being at risk from preditors. Do you have a shed? Shed's are perfect bunny hotels, with a little alteration. They're a pleasant cosy area to spend time with your buns, without having to worry about mess or damage, and she'll feel more confident as she'll know it's 'her' area.

* Keep the environment she's in as calm as possible - no loud music or TV, no cigarette smoke, no shouting kids. As a prey species rabbits are highly nervous, so basically you want to reassure her there's nothing to worry about.

* Stick at it. You will get there in the end with her, so don't give up. Rabbits are awesome little things, and they'll bring you years of happiness and fun. :D

Last edited:
1) I would buy her a large run to connect to her hutch so when you don't want to bring her in she still has some exercise.
2) at around 6 months she will need spaying as she will become hormonal
3) personally I would go to the rspca and get her a male friend, it's an easier bond than 2 females.
4) she's probably a little frightened with you being so far above her. Try sitting on the floor with her and letting her take interest in you rather than you pursuing her.
5) it's possible that because she's only in your house some of the time and it's such a large space she's marking it as hers with the poos.

I agree with Hoppit, I think initially you need to get her speyed. She is probably displaying some territorial behaviour and coming across slightly agressive and so getting her speyed should limit/stop this behaviour. I personally find does more hormonal and territorial so speying is always a good idea, as well as the fact that unspeyed does have a high risk of cancer!

she's only 14 weeks, most vets won't spay until around 25 weeks.

Yeah sorry I did mean when she was ready a 5/6 months! :oops:

Although thinking about it 14 weeks does seem a bit early for a girly to be territorial/hormonal, perhaps I jumped to conclusions???

Hi all, thank you sooo much for taking the time to reply :) Am loving the "husbun"!! :D

Thankyou for the tip on getting her spayed, i will look into it and arrange when she is old enough - any idea how much this procedure would cost?
We do sit on floor level with her and she is happy to hop around us and over us but just a little concerned that if she continues to use my carpet/sofa as a toilet then my front room may become unpleasent, if we try the same in the kitchen (laminate floor) she reverts to hiding down the side of the sofa.
She does have a tendency to do the stamping on the floor thing occasionally which i gather is a warning? Does this come into the "territorial" train of thought?
I do have a spare shed that i could use but in all honesty the coop that i bought for her, which has a good sized raised sleeping quarter and large run, is probably bigger in surface area - perhaps the shed is a better option when the weather gets colder?
I would feel better about her being outside while i am out at work with company but am worried that by introducing a friend, her interest in us will be even less and not sure i will be capable of herding 2 bunnies back into the hutch after roaming the garden (are they likely to follow each other or do thier own thing? guess it depends on how well they bond?) - at present she will hop neatly back to her hutch after a few clapping of hands and a rendition of "bedtime bella!"
Thanks to you all again for you great advice, hopefully with a little patience, a vets trip and a possible new companion i might have better luck ...

Awww, well, it sounds like you're doing all the right things already. The only thing I can think of, is rather than herding her back home (she might see that as being chased) use her favorite treats to tempt her, while calling her name. She'll soon learn to come running TO you, rather than away from you.

The spay will be in the region of £60, although it does vary alot from practice to practice, so give them a ring to make sure. It'll stop those fiesty teenage girl hormones (yep, at 14 weeks she's definately a teenager!) that are making her grumpy, and you'll see a significant improvement with the littertraining once she's done too.

Definately get her a husbun! I've got 2 (littermates, so they're even closer) who still love me to bits. I think getting her a friend would really boost her confidence, and actually make her closer to you in the long run. It's an adorable sight watching them interact too! :love:

Back