• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does rabbit food go bad

Alicia

Mama Doe
If I bought a 10kg of wagg optimum, would it be ok to keep it in the shed until its used? It would probably take my 2 at least a couple of months to eat it all, would it go bad?

Check the best before date.

I know Allen and Page pellets only have 3 months on average, but provided the bag is resealed or kept inside a sealable container it should be fine if in date.

I was going to buy it on the internet so I can't check the date on it. I thought I read on here somewhere that its only certain pellet foods that can't be kept for long but I can't remember what ones they are

Yes A&P only has a three-month self-life.
If you are keeping them in the shed, keep them in a plastic container with a lid to stop rats and mice getting to it.
I dont know about Wagg specifically, I think it might just be A&P with the short shelf life.

Obviously!! Sorry I didn't think that through did I :lol:

I'd expect you'd get a good 6 months with Wagg, but hopefully someone else will hava an idea of how long it lasts.

They have a best before date but unless damp can get to the food it should be fine. I'm trying to use smaller bags now, twice my mums fed them and left the lid off the food bin when it's heavily raining and I've had to throw away two bin fulls

Yes rabbit food can go bad, it depends on the best before date but also if its stored correctly as leaving it just opened and in the air or in direct sunlight will loose some vitamins and it may go stale.
I would get two food storage containers, one of them I would fill up and put in the freezer and then the other I would fill up and leave it near the hutchs for easy access, anymore thats left in the bag I would roll it up tightly and secure it. As reopening and closing the bag wont make it last as long.

I've got some storage containers :) But I can't really put anything in the freezer, because it takes up space and Mum doesn't like it, but the cupboard under the sink is quite dark and cold, would it be ok if I put some of it in there? How could I tell if it had gone stale, does it smell different or something?

Back