• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does a name make a difference....

I think that names without personality traits are better. Grumpy, fatty, dopey all give a negative personality trait to a rabbit. Unusual, wacky or enhancing names IMHO add to the appeal of the bun.

My rabbits answer to their names - when they're in the mood.

I must be really sad but I think its awful changing a rabbits name, my rescue does were Doris ands Lola, I loved the name Lola but Doris?? - honestly - the vets used to laugh at me when I rang up to book her in :oops: Still it was her name and what she'd been called for a whole year, it seemed unfair to change it just because I didn't like it. Her new owner has since changed her name though :rolleyes:

I give them whatever name occurs to me - sometimes this can take a few weeks but I'll invariable go out to feed and randomly call them a name - and thats it! Hence why I have a Janet and a Delilah! LOL I'm struggling with one girl at the moment, shes one I bred and has come back to me, problem is she was named after me so I can't keep that name LOL! Shes a REW and I keep flicking between Snow White and Crystal :? I'm sure I'll settle on one eventually!!

Back to the question though I can't see why a name would have any bearing on whether they wanted to adopt the rabbit or not. Pretty fickle if it does!

Why do rescues give rabbits names, rather than, say, a number? Do they stand more chance of being rehomed if they already have a name? Or is it because of vets procedures, etc?

We always give the rabbits a name..and they always have one we've not had before..which gets harder as the numbers we've taken in grow..
The reason I do this is if not we'd have had 30 Daisys and 30 Barneys and 30 Lillys and 30 Snowys..!:lol:

some are a bit unusual depending what mood I'm in when I name them..
I like them to have a name as you never know how long they will be here and don't like to just call them number 107,etc..

A name also gives a bit of personality to the bun

We actually had a bad tempered bun I named Grumpy Fred..by the time he left he was no longer grumpy but the name hadn't put people off..

I've found it's not the name that makes a bun stick it's the colour, as in poor Cole....although a soft, cutsey name does tend to make people go "ahhhhh "more!........alot of people change the names and that's fine..:D

Last edited:
I think a name can effect the choice, we're all influenced by marketing but so long as its the right bun for the owner I don't think it makes a difference if they pick bun A or B.

If I liked a rescue bun [or any animal] it doesn't really matter what their name is.. if I thought it didn't suit them I'd change it :)

I must be really sad but I think its awful changing a rabbits name, my rescue does were Doris ands Lola, I loved the name Lola but Doris?? - honestly - the vets used to laugh at me when I rang up to book her in :oops: Still it was her name and what she'd been called for a whole year, it seemed unfair to change it just because I didn't like it. Her new owner has since changed her name though :rolleyes:

I give them whatever name occurs to me - sometimes this can take a few weeks but I'll invariable go out to feed and randomly call them a name - and thats it! Hence why I have a Janet and a Delilah! LOL I'm struggling with one girl at the moment, shes one I bred and has come back to me, problem is she was named after me so I can't keep that name LOL! Shes a REW and I keep flicking between Snow White and Crystal :? I'm sure I'll settle on one eventually!!

Back to the question though I can't see why a name would have any bearing on whether they wanted to adopt the rabbit or not. Pretty fickle if it does!

I think it depends how long they've had the name. I changed my cat's name from Tilly as it was the same as my sister's dog and it's a horrible name IMO. The Worm is much better :oops: :lol: She was a stray though and had only been in the rescue a couple of weeks so she didn't know it. If she had then I might have called her Milly maybe.

I did find it odd when people changed my fosters names though, I'll always think of them with their original ones.

I think lots of people would be put off with names like Killer or lucifer because they'd want to know why!

I changed my adopted bunny name though :oops: :oops: It was a lovely name (Lakota) but I knew I'd end up calling her honey most of the time anyway as a term of affection so it seemed easier to do it from the start. I'm now having trouble though because I've got a rosie and I keep calling them by each others names.

I am awful with numbers...I would forget who was number 82 and 83 etc., they would need labels on their hutches or I would have to refer to the record book constantly.

I am awful with numbers...I would forget who was number 82 and 83 etc., they would need labels on their hutches or I would have to refer to the record book constantly.

Fair point, but I've know rescues forget names as well. My Smokey apparently did have another name given by the rescue, but the lady couldn't remember it :lol:

I think if I ran a rescue I would need to have details pinned to cages or in files with photos attached, because I would just never remember. :roll:

Sometimes if I change a name it takes me a while to stop calling them by the old name :oops: and othertimes I cant chose between a name and call them one but my subconscious protests and uses the other.

Phil never got over calling Caspian 'Kasabian' :roll:

i can't bring myself to change Dude's name - he's my little Dudey!! :love:

If he doesn't have any re-homing interest shown by Feb i *might* think about changing it! :roll: :lol:

a name would never put me off, probably cos i have changed both my rescues names though

matilda was originally molly
and cerys was called penelope

Back