• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

doe escaped with buck

lereme

New Kit
My doe had kits 2 weeks ago, when I was puting in her food and hay today she jumped over my shoulder and out of the hutch. My male was also out and they hid under the decking, managed to coax her out after 15 mins, I am devastated incase she is pregnant again...how will I know and what will she do to her kits. The male is going to get the snip next week, they are housed separately.:cry:

you could take her to the vet and ask to see if she can have an emergancy spay

ETA. just reread to see she has 2 week old kits with her at the moment? Im not sure if she would be able to be spayed while feeding. best to as vet

Last edited:
I would normally say emergency spay too, but is that going to be possible if she's still feeding 2-week old kits? It's definitely worth discussing with your vet as they may be able to do it, or they may be able to do it in another week or two when the kits are a bit older and more able to 'cope' if her milk dries up early.

Good luck - please have a chat with your vet and see what they think.

I would normally say emergency spay too, but is that going to be possible if she's still feeding 2-week old kits? It's definitely worth discussing with your vet as they may be able to do it, or they may be able to do it in another week or two when the kits are a bit older and more able to 'cope' if her milk dries up early.

Good luck - please have a chat with your vet and see what they think.

You're right, I didn't think of that. Not sure a vet would spay her with 2 weeks old kits

Thankyou for your replies. I am hoping shes not, what age do the kits stop feeding from mum. Not very good at this, got rabbits sexed at the pet shop where I was assured ruby was a girl who turned into randy!! I have 4 kits who are thriving don't want to jeapordise them.

They ideally need to stay with mum until they are 8 weeks old. A pregnancy is 31 days (anything from 28-34 is viable). However, kits can do 'ok' if removed from mum earlier although, like I say, its not ideal, and poor mum may be struggling greatly having to care for one litter immediately followed by another.

It sounds like if you are lucky you may have them with mum until 6 weeks or so. However, she may turn on them earlier than that.

It varies - they should start munching away on mum's food within the next week or so, so they do start to rely less on mum's milk from thereon in - but their tummies are still very sensitive to change. I have no idea if an emergency spay would have an effect on her milk supply or not - but hopefully your vet will know or at least can find out!

As has been advised I woudl speak to the vet about the female and also book in the male so that he can be neutered which will prevent further problems in the future. Then once the female has finished raising any babies she has she can be neutered and then bodned with the male.

Back