• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Doe biting herself, after reaction to shots

Nahowe

New Kit
Hi, I have a 11 month old doe, named Barcardi. In May she was spayed and was given by a vet myximatosis and VHD all on the same day. I found later that giving both injections was not recommended but the vet I saw suggested it, because I was only going to have one shot and the other later on.

Mid to end of May I noticed a bare patch of skin on the front of her neck and then on her back. The patch on her back got a bacterial infection, so I took her back to the same vets and he admitted that it was caused by the injections. Whether its because she had both injections together or not we don't know if she would have had the same reaction to it or not, but the vet has taken responsibility and treatment is free of charge.

My sister and I have been backwards and forwards to the vets since then, but its not completley better, the rabbit keeps biting her skin on her back, which at first she could wear a collar, but because she was able to bite her skin on her neck and because the collar was rubbing against it we had to take it off.

This weekend just gone she had bitten her back again, causing a deep wound, so I took her to the vets. The vet said the injection has gone from her system and the reason why she keeps biting herself is because its in her mind now ie a habit forming. He gave her the Cortisone injection to quickly heal the wound. He said he doesn't normally like giving rabbits this because they are very sensitive. Today the wound has closed up, which is good.

What I need advise on is how can I stop her from biting herself, I wouldn't like to do this, but would having her teeth taken out be the answer?

your help will be much appriciated

Natalie
:D

hi, i would have a look round for a new vet and get a second opinion. def should not have had vaccinations on the same day 2 weeks apart is recomended time. some vets just should not treat rabbits. luckily i have a good one. i would get a second opinion.
hope you sort her out.

oh and i think taking out her teeth maybe a little drastic.:)

Doe biting herself

Thanks for you reply, getting a second opinion is what someone from the RSPSA said, but its not that easy because its not just a case of them just looking at her they need to see her records from the vets I use plus they will charge just to see her to. Not sure what to do yet.I expect taking her teeth out is a little drastic, but you should see what she does to herself, she has made one terrible wound in her flesh after it had already heald.

:)

It sounds like she had a reaction to the VHD jab....do you know if it was Cylap? This bunny needs to be on pain relief urgently....biting themselves is often a sure sign of pain and distress. She needs a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory pain killer as a course of medication, possibly some antibiotics if the wound is infected.
I'm shocked by your vet!!! :shock::shock: Giving both vaccinations on the same day, AND on the day your bun was spayed is both clinically inappropriate and a big welfare issue! :( Giving a rabbit an injection of cortisol - a steroid is also totally inappropriate unless as a last resort - your poor bun has probably a very compromised immune system now. :( Steroids suppress the immune system and should not be used in rabbits unless all the risks are weighed up and there is no other option.
Removing her teeth is totally unnecessary in my opinion. :( This poor bun just needs some pain relief and some time out!
I would strongly recommend you find another vet - a rabbit savy vet. If you tell us which area you are in we might be able to recommend someone?

A new vet is perfectly capable of doing a full exam and history and you can ring your existing vet and ask them to forward on the notes, this is not a problem. Good luck, please find a better vet asap! :)

Back