• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you worry about your outside buns too much?

Yes, I worry about them getting cold. Yes I probably worry too much but it's only because I care and I'd rather care too much than too little!

I'll join the gang! I do worry aboutthem being too cold but then they live with it in the wild. Mine have a shed, a hutch inside the shed and several cardboard boxes full of hay to hide in, which they have just started to use since the weather started beng freezing! It's only the last couple of days that their water has actually frozen over, that's a bit worrying as I'm not in all day, crack it open in morning and hope it lasts all day... I feel their ears and behind the scruff of their neks every time I'm out there, I read on here somehwere theat their ears will get cold but as long as theyare warm under the base of their ears / scruff of their neck then they should be fine, and my boys always are :) There's no options for bringing them inside anyways, they would hate it!!! They love being outside and having outdoor run 24 hours a day!

I worry about the chance of stasis (Sebastian is prone to it) and water freezing over, but now its snowed Im not so worried about that anymore :)
other than that Im leaving them too it, they're hardy :wave:

Poppy is loving it and although I worried about how she would cope with the cold before it came, I can see that she much prefers it to the rain or summer so is very happy:love::love: She has a shed and a semi-sheltered run, Ive put big cardboard boxes full of hay in the shed and she has her blankets etc. I feel more worried about the chooks as they're mid-molt and must be really feeling it:(

My 15 year old yorkie is blind and deaf and he is really confused by the snow...he couldn't find his way in the house last night and panicked:shock: We had a look at the tracks in the snow today as you suggested parsnipbun...and Im pleased to say that they're wasn't one footprint of anything at 9am today:thumb: Thanks for the suggestion though it is a great idea:wave:

I don't usually worry, agree with everything that's already been said - their used to being outside and are very hardy. But these extreme drops in temperature do worry me. They have a nest box in the shed and literally half a bale of hay and we gave them porridge last night too. I was making my husband go out and check the water hourly.
Now we have snow it feels much warmer.

I used to worry before I moved them outside but I read so many posts about people saying bunnies are fine in the cold and also it's been cold and the bunnies have been absolutely fine that I don't worry about it

Ruthie xxx

I think they're quite hardy little animals really. I've added loft insulation around their hutch, with a hutch cover with a waterproof front to protect them from wind/rain. I've put down megazorb on the floor as I presume it's a bit warmer on their feetsies than just cold hard lino and then lots of hay. I don't bother with snugglesafes unless it's REALLY cold, they don't really use them anyway. For my trio they all sleep cuddled up and have lovely thick fur.

I also give them extra pellets to "fatten them up" during the winter months.

I don't worry that much, I didn't put their heaters in the sheds this year either. I'm so glad mine are in sheds rather than hutches though as it's much easier to keep them snug! I just looked out of the window and Max is having great fun in the snow, the girls are no where to be seen :lol:

I think my biggest worry is frozen water - I have covers over the hutch/run combo - & the playhouse/aviary has mesh windows, but I hang sacks over them overnight.

I'll spend half hour stuffing boxes with hay, lining litter trays with paper & extra hay, stuffing pet carriers, putting new carpet down, covering windows, putting water on heatpads, then I watch the buns sit out in the aviary when I've finished:roll:

i worry about my indoor bunnies getting too cold and leave heaters on (low) for them overnight, which i wouldn't do for myself.

I worry about my indoor buns getting cold too. I have put lots of blankets in their room that they can snuggle up and get cosy. I'd be really worried if I had outside buns in this freezing weather but then I worry about everything! xx

In our experience rabbits tend to be healthier outdoors. It is more natural for them, than being in an artificial environment. This is with appropriate bedding. Rabbits can cope very well in very low temperatures with the winter coats they have. If the rabbit is already ill however, we bring them in over winter and put them back out in the summer if they can cope with it.

Ruby is as hard as nails, and Jay has a coat like a wooly mammoth. its little Ulfric i worry about and he has a whole shed to himself:lol:

the other 4 are indoors and i have allowed Zuma to don his harness (he and poppet are fine on harness and its a shoulder harness NOT neck harness) and go out to play <3, i havent allowed Pop out as her hocks are a little sore at the moment.

In our experience rabbits tend to be healthier outdoors. It is more natural for them, than being in an artificial environment.

Being in hutches/sheds/runs is still an artificial environment, though I do know what you're saying - I think it's snufflebuns that often benefit from the fresh air outside and don't tolerate central heating well isn't it? Equally I'm sure there are conditions where the bun would benefit from being indoors.

Being in hutches/sheds/runs is still an artificial environment, though I do know what you're saying - I think it's snufflebuns that often benefit from the fresh air outside and don't tolerate central heating well isn't it? Equally I'm sure there are conditions where the bun would benefit from being indoors.

I like going to bed at night knowing that my buns are safe from foxes and that I can just pop my head in their room and check on them if I hear any strange movements! Also in the summer I don't fret about flys as much as I would if they were outside. When there are fireworks they are safe from the loud bangs and all the smoke. I can see the pros and cons for both inside and outside but I like having house bunnies :love: xx

I have worried about them alot less in the snow than I did in the awful winds we had a litte while ago!! :) They are fine out there and I havnt even put their snuggle safes in either...the only thing that plays on my mind is their water bowls keep freezing and so im keeping ontop of those but apart from that they have happily carried on as normal despite the 7.5" of snow we had fall yesterday!! :thumb:

Poppy hasnt been too happy today as the snow has been sliding of the conservatory roof and so she has stayed safely upstairs behind the safety of the weather cover! :)

I have been more worried than usual this cold snap as it is the first time Sweep has been on his own in the cold. He is staying inside the wendyhouse much more and has a snuggle box and a snugglesafe heated up every night and lots of hay and carpets on the floor. He has a water bowl inside that hasn't frozen once yet so it must be keeping relatively warm in there. There is a window but is is covered with perspex at the moment and he has a cat flap so it keeps a lot of draughts out.

Roll on to when he gets a new friend is what I say ;)

Back