• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you know the history of your rescue bunny?

Mine was adopted through here, he was being terrorised by his previous owners dog so they gave him up to a rescue. His ears ***** up and he stands to attention now if he hears a dog bark or if someone whistles at him!

I know the historys for most of mine, except Xena and Mallow, who were both strays/ dumped ( I suspect dumped because they were both very hormonal.

Sorrell- bought by a junkie, taken in by someone who couldn't afford a cage and had lots of friends with staffies, rehomed her when she fell off the window sil and broke a leg.

Thumper- rehomed due to an allergy, he was to be rehomed but nobody was interested in him.

Milly and Molly- rehomed because of aggression.

Katie- rehomed due to her eye problem.

Betsy- rehomed aged 5 because the owner went to uni.

Snowy- owned by a junkie and kept next to a ferret.

Jessica- angora, rehomed because the owner didn't have time for her.

Treacle- rehomed ( owners told to by police!) to us after they were left with a friend while owner was away. Friend was horrified at state of cage and rabbits. We took her, the owner reported them stolen, police called and we explained the situation and they told the owner if she took them back they would be charged!

Oddeye and Runt- are brothes, taken from a family who ahd been given a male/ female and they then proceded to have one litter after another. When we went to collect them, father was in a small hutch and mum was in a bigger one with 8 eight weeks old babies. The owner had mental health problems and we managed to get mum and the 4 boys. The rescue we took them for tried to get the rest rehomed, but I don't know what happened in the end. Mum and 2 boys were rehomed. Runt and Oddeye had no interest.

Latest additions, Snowball and Mitzi were rehomed bacause owner is moving abroad with work. He couldn't get anybody else to take them, partially I think because they are old, so they arrived on Sunday.

Our worst rabbit rescue was Rosie, who was found with cigarrette burns and a broken leg, she was taken in by a rescue who basically couldn't handle her so she spent the next 4 years in a hutch. They asked us to take her and she was terrified and scratched and really bit. Mike, especially, worked very hard on her and by the time she died we could pick her up in a t-shirt. She had 2 good years having access to a run and having bunny company either side of her. We did try to bond her a couple of times but she was so metally damaged she would just sit and shake so we gave up. I think she was happy.

I know both of my rabbit's history.

Maisie was taken in because her owners got bored and no longer found the idea of a house bunny 'fun'. She was then rehomed but had to be returned due to a bonding going nasty.

Marvin was born into rescue and I found him on here.

I know both of my rabbit's history.

Maisie was taken in because her owners got bored and no longer found the idea of a house bunny 'fun'. She was then rehomed but had to be returned due to a bonding going nasty.

Marvin was born into rescue and I found him on here.

And what a cheeky little chappy he was. Knocking off the water bottle attached to his carry case in my car and the water leaking all over the floor of it :roll:

And what a cheeky little chappy he was. Knocking off the water bottle attached to his carry case in my car and the water leaking all over the floor of it :roll:

You don't know the half of it :lol: he often jumps up at his water bowl after i've filled it up trying to knock water everywhere. That and the constant biting of me, then the next minute jumping on my lap trying to give me nose rubs. Crazy schizophrenic bunny :roll:

You don't know the half of it :lol: he often jumps up at his water bowl after i've filled it up trying to knock water everywhere. That and the constant biting of me, then the next minute jumping on my lap trying to give me nose rubs. Crazy schizophrenic bunny :roll:

I found wee on the chair of the car after i got home and checked the following morning too. :lol:

He was a pleasure to bunny-run to you though, even if he did try having my hand off when i tried to give him a couple of pellets when we stopped for a loo break :lol:

Nope, Eddie was a stray that was found. So no idea about how old he is or anything. Suspect he escaped though, as he loves digging in corners :lol:

I know Ghostie's and Benji's story to a lot of extent.
Not sure about Pickle, or Toffee.
Gabriel, Whisper and Frosty were an accidental litter, but the rescue (me down the phone) had to do a lot of 'convincing' to give up the bunnies.

Milly wasn't technically a rescue from a rescue centre, but I think she was unwanted. The lady I got her from had bought her for her grandson who had got bored with the idea of a pet. She said she was giving her up as she couldn't spend enough time with her, however there was a lot of talk about the renovations about to start in the garden and I got the impression a bunny palace wasn't going to be part of them! So she came to live with me and I'm so glad too :) I was told Milly was 6 months old when I got her and had been bought from the local market's pet stall, so I know her birthday is sometime in March though not sure exactly when! The little fatty :lol: will be 2 this year!

Noah arrived as a 5 week old with his siblings. He was the result of owners not getting their buns fixed. Back then the rescue had a policy where the rabbits were not allowed to be adopted out until neutered. So he was still at the shelter waiting for his second plum to drop when I enquired. They ended up "digging" the plum out so that he could be adopted out. Which was when I got him aged 5 months.

The rescue has since changed that policy. They have been totally inundated with bunnies, and simply do not have the space to hold onto them for 4 or 5 months. So they are adopted out with a signed agreement that the buns will get fixed.

Charlee was the result of missexed bunnies I think. I got her as an 8 wk old baby.

I suspect that much of what I was told about my bun was untrue.

I'm fairly sure that he was dumped in a canvass bag on some aquaintances fund raising for a rescue & that all the rescues within a 50 mile radius were full. It's likely that they were given the ultimatum of "take him or he'll be pts tomorrow".

He certainly wasn't 7 months old. He tripled in size.:shock:
He obviously hadn't been handled yet had no fear of humans. He was intensely claustrophobic terrified of a 2 hop transport hutch. He was also terrified of dogs & even run away from me if I had patted a dog & came in smelling of them.

I suspect that he was a breeders reject, hence the terror of a small hutch.
The terror of dogs could have been from a short stay with my aquaintance while I hurriedly sorted out some accommodation for him.

Although it's been a life time struggle with his tummy & teeth, & I've sometimes wished he didn't have his health issues, I always end up thinking but he wouldn't be Thumper without them.

He's the best thing which ever happened to me. A fantastic personality, & best animal companion I've ever had! :love:

I got my Peter from Kris at Starlights. He had only just gone to her when I got him and I believe he was found on the side of the road with two other bunnies, sadly one had already being killed on the road:(

Peter had very stained yellow fur when I first got him (he's mainly white) so he had obviously been kept in some horrible conditions before being dumped. He also has shredded ears where I assume he had fought with another rabbit.

When I write this it makes me realise how strong and trusting he has been. From the moment I got him he has oozed with confidence and is so trusting. He is soooo friendly (although does tend to nip on the odd occasion but purely for attention). It really makes you realise how strong these little creatures can be, you would NEVER know what he has been through, even though I imagine it could be worse that I will ever know.

And he made the perfect husbun for Poppy-to get him was the best decision I ever made on so many levels:D (even if he did ruin my new duvet cover at the weekend by digging it) :lol:

I *think* Ebony's mum was rescued from a large rescue situation with alot of other rabbits/animals and then Ebs was born in rescue along with her litter mates

My two had previously been in a family with kids, they had boarded them at Rabbit Residence while they'd been on holidays. However the family inherited a dog. The dog harassed the bunnies. They became exceptionally stressed and, despite the family having these two for 4 years, they were handed in to Rabbit Residence for rehoming.

I would have got rid of the dog!

Lucky was an advert on Facebook. He'd been bought as a pet for a baby but as she started crawling, the parents couldnt cope.

The ad went on FB and we picked him up the same day. He'd had a few names already but was called Ollie when we picked him up - he's our 3rd bun so we changed his name to Lucky.

Daisy was in a rescue and she'd already had 2 attempts at being re-homed and they broke down. We were her third attempt. (And hopefully 3rd time lucky for her too).

:love:

Lucky was an advert on Facebook. He'd been bought as a pet for a baby but as she started crawling, the parents couldnt cope.

The ad went on FB and we picked him up the same day. He'd had a few names already but was called Ollie when we picked him up - he's our 3rd bun so we changed his name to Lucky.

Daisy was in a rescue and she'd already had 2 attempts at being re-homed and they broke down. We were her third attempt. (And hopefully 3rd time lucky for her too).

:love:

Seriously? :shock: wtf? :roll: some people!

I hope Daisy is with you forever Grin! :love:

Seriously? :shock: wtf? :roll: some people!

I hope Daisy is with you forever Grin! :love:

It was the second bunny they had got for her - the baby was only a month old when they bought the first one - and 2 months old when they swapped the first bun (not cuddly enough) for Lucky.

I hope they both have their forever homes here. :love:

It was the second bunny they had got for her - the baby was only a month old when they bought the first one - and 2 months old when they swapped the first bun (not cuddly enough) for Lucky.

I hope they both have their forever homes here. :love:

That's like buying a car for a 3 yr old. OMG. I'm actually genuinely gobsmacked! That does NOT happen very often :lol:

My Feline comes from an accidental litter, was brought to a petstore but apparently she was too old to be sold so she and her brother(s) and sister(s) ended up at a rescue. Now you should know that she was six months when I adopted her, I think she must have been four months or a little bit older when she arrived at the rescue.. Too old?? .......

My cat is a rescue too, she (and the other cat) was abandoned. Her owners just moved away without them......

Most of mine were originally just unwanted pets or unwanted breeding stock AFAIK.

Also...I have a couple who were found as strays, a couple from out-of-control breeding situations where the bunnies came into rescue rather than be dealt with by the RSPCA, a few who were gong to be put to sleep due to health problems, and one who's owner became too poorly to take care of her rabbits.

Back