• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you ever look in the 'Rabbit care, health and advice section?

I do. I post lots of questions and also try to answer things sometimes, although most of you guys have a lot more experience than me! I'm always grateful for the replies I get and think it's so sad that some of you don't feel your advice gets appreciated or listened to. I suppose it's always up to the individual in the end but I think that it's great to get other people's opinions on things even if you don't always agree with them. I don't get round to looking at general chat much as I'm trying to keep up with all the other sections, maybe with time I'll feel I know enough to start entering in to discussion of broader topics!

Anyway, thanks to anyone who has replied to any of my posts in the care, health and advice section :thumb:

I do, but i dont have the knowledge to help. I like to read and if something has been asked and it help its good but i feel that a lot that i have put in there was ignored and i just post if i am really struggling.

GC is fine when you're all behaving yourselves; it's just when there's trifle slinging and popcorn munching going on that I'd rather it didn't exist. ;):lol::lol:

This. Plus it makes me sad when there are more people looking in there than the rabbit parts of the forum. Not that much in GC interests me

Last edited:
I look at "New posts" mainly and try to help people that have no replies to their threads, even if it's just to bump it. Most of GC seems to be about babies or kids and I really don't give a toss. :lol:

I also think that there comes a point when you cant keep doling out the same advice and having it completely ignored. I am talking mainly about 'Health' here. Sometimes the only thing to suggest is to take the Rabbit to a Vet. But often that is not what the person wants to hear. I have to stand back from those types of threads now as they upset and annoy me in equal measures.

I agree if someone is posting saying they are so worried about their rabbit what could be wrong I often wonder why they don't just go to the vets instead of asking. When they say they can't afford it I also get upset and annoyed and find it really frustrating when they don't listen.

I look in health a lot since I have my Doughnut thread there and try and give advice about rabbit being spayed but couldn't answer more complicated questions.

All your advice on Doughnut Jane has been much appreciated though. I think it's great to learn as much as you can about your rabbit and in the health you do learn quite a bit when the people in the "know" comment.

I look at them frequently - to learn. I am quite the novice in some respects and I did get questioned whether I should have Marley when I didnt have the suitable accommodation or money to house him correctly there and then because if I couldn't afford that then what about more vet bills, which I know my OH would've paid until I could pay him back. Even though I'd explained he was young, to be pts and had quite bad wounds and I'd took him, paid his vet bills when he still mightve not made it and intended to give him the life he deserved, it was just at that moment I had little money and he wasn't in suitable housing and had to be taken to the living room in order to have exercise. Even though I was asking of ways to improve it for the time being I felt a little attacked at that point. He now has a 6 x 4 wendyhouse with a 7.5 x 4 x 2.5 run. I learnt all that from here and I felt joining the forum was the best way I could learn as forums tend to be very specific and full of people wanting to help.

I have on occasion tried to reply to others and then deleted it as I've second guessed myself and felt I should leave it for someone more knowledgable. I am a worrier and not knowing the signs of things such as bloat and common problems means I panick at almost every movement much to OHs dismay!

I also think that there comes a point when you cant keep doling out the same advice and having it completely ignored. I am talking mainly about 'Health' here. Sometimes the only thing to suggest is to take the Rabbit to a Vet. But often that is not what the person wants to hear. I have to stand back from those types of threads now as they upset and annoy me in equal measures.

Jane you and others do a great job giving advice in health and it is appreciated. Sadly there aren't many subjects in there I feel confident enough to give advise on although conversly thats because my buns aren't often sick

I do occasionally look there but I do usually just click on 'new posts' and then I may go onto a sub forum from there.

It's quite hard to post lengthy replies on my phone and it takes such a long time that somebody else has already replied :lol:

I'm not overly confident in posting replies as although I do have some knowledge I don't want to be giving out advice which may be wrong or repeating somebody else. But I will definitely start posting more replies though as much as I can. :wave:

I do love the Housing sub forum , I am on there quite a lot browsing through threads.:oops: I love looking at setups.

I've got to say although I have used GC in the past, I am not a big fan of it as I find the GC posts can sometimes smother the Rabbit related threads which are far more important for the reason that it is a rabbit forum especially when somebody is in need of some urgent advice or vibes or even some comforting etc.

I look at "New posts" mainly and try to help people that have no replies to their threads, even if it's just to bump it. Most of GC seems to be about babies or kids and I really don't give a toss. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: Brilliant! I always hit 'new posts' every time I open RU so I see posts on all threads. But I choose not to open the ones about kids and babies :lol:.

Sometimes I've posted a question (never in an emergency), that I know will result in a vet visit, but I want some ideas of what it could be - & what I should flag up to the vet. I've lost confidence in my vets a bit after spaying a male & losing 2 buns after neuter - I just like to know what I'm going in with.

I need to delete one of my Rabbit FB groups tbh - one girl posted about a collapsed bun & people were advising syringe feeding & splashing water on it's face & all kinds of :censored:. Only response should've been Vets Vets vets, not wasting precious minutes.

i use 'new posts'. i rarely give rabbit advice as i don't feel qualified.

should we be preparing for 'general chat' to disappear?

Sometimes I've posted a question (never in an emergency), that I know will result in a vet visit, but I want some ideas of what it could be - & what I should flag up to the vet. I've lost confidence in my vets a bit after spaying a male & losing 2 buns after neuter - I just like to know what I'm going in with.

I need to delete one of my Rabbit FB groups tbh - one girl posted about a collapsed bun & people were advising syringe feeding & splashing water on it's face & all kinds of :censored:. Only response should've been Vets Vets vets, not wasting precious minutes.

Oh yes, I am not suggesting folk who just want some suggestions to put to their Vet are 'annoying'. It is the 'My Rabbit has not eaten for 2 days' and is hardly moving' type posts that I am referring to. In situations like that I feel the only advice I can give is 'Vets Now'. It is when the person continues to sit at their computer asking 'could it be this or could it be that' rather than getting on the phone to the Vet that frustrates me. One person even PMd me asking for advice and closed the message saying 'thought I'd ask you rather than the Vet as your advice is free' :shock:

Yes and I am also not a flippin' Vet and I can not treat your Rabbit !!

As for the 'advice' for the collapsed Rabbit :shock: :cry:

When you remove general chat from forums people tend to (a) start chatting in the other sections (b) disappear in droves! I've seen it happen elsewhere, and not just on animal forums.

For me I see this place as a connection with other animal lovers. Plus I'm still interested in rabbits, even if I don't have them now. I once put a hamster-related post on both here and a widely recommended hamster forum. I got more replies on here, and they were more useful too!

When you remove general chat from forums people tend to (a) start chatting in the other sections (b) disappear in droves! I've seen it happen elsewhere, and not just on animal forums.

For me I see this place as a connection with other animal lovers. Plus I'm still interested in rabbits, even if I don't have them now. I once put a hamster-related post on both here and a widely recommended hamster forum. I got more replies on here, and they were more useful too!

Yes, I've heard Mumsnet can be vicious so maybe that's why we get a lot of baby/child talk on GC since RUers are a little more laid back in the tiny human department?

I've always found hammy forums to be very quiet and generally breeder orientated... I've had a few hams so I do my best to reply to the threads on here and hope that people will reply to mine too :lol:
Same with the cockatiel, I've always had a couple of replies on here where as bird forums have been very quiet. And the mice actually... RU is just better :lol:

I never really open specific areas, I just click New Posts :oops: I'm useless in those threads anyway, I'm not at all experienced so my replies are always "I have no advice but I hope your bunny is okay" or something and that starts to sound a bit stupid :?

I look in the advice sections often, and if i have time and feel able to advise then i do :D i don't visit general chat much, only if something catches my eye.

I have a lot of time on my hands at the moment so read each section, and try to help where I can. I mostly read health stuff so that I can be more aware with my own rabbits.

Back