• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you consider yourself a good rabbit owner?

Sometimes, yes. And most of the time better than the perceived average owner with a bunny left alone in a small hutch at the bottom of the garden. (Though I get the impression, from hearing about other rabbit owners mentioned by family and friends, that there are quite a lot of well-loved house bunnies out there who have plenty of space.)

This year so far I think I have mostly been "good enough" - cf the psychologist Winnicott's concept of the "good enough" mother.

But there certainly are things that some posters on here provide that I don't or can't.

Last year I wasn't that good as I was stressed out of my skull by having two frequently ill rabbits when I was completely new to caring for the species and also ill myself most of the time.

Not really, but they have better with me than they had with their previous owners, more space, hay and pellets, and company. They are also spayed, neutered and vax'd. What more could they want?

They don't have much quality time with me, purely because they don't seem to like it.

As far as rabbit owners go I know I'm above average, but to give rabbits an "ideal" life is near impossible while they're in captivity. Is anything less than ideal bad?

That is a good point but then you have to remember that domesticated animals and animals raised as pets are happy in smaller areas. I doubt a domesticated rabbit would want to run free in a field like a wild rabbit would. I have a pretty large yard, and back when I used to let my ducks free range they didn't go in many areas of my yard even though they had the freedom to. And I know on another forum I'm on people who have dozens of acres of land say their chickens and ducks always stay within sight of their house.

Other than space what do rabbits want? A rabbit friend, some like human company, good food, fresh water, clean living space, and a safe place. I'd say going off that most members here are very good owners.

I agree with this post above but I do not beleive that saying you are a good owner has anything to do with the Dunning-Kruger effect though. In my opinion saying you are "good" does not meant that you are saying that you are superior or even above average. I interrupt "good owner" as meaning that you care about the welfare,health and happiness of the rabbit,admitting that you do not know everything and do research/ask for help such as being on this forum and getting your rabbit the best medical care available. always putting them first and doing your best to advocate for them. That is a good owner which sounds like most people are expressing not that they are exceptional or above average.
Totally agree :)

That is a good point but then you have to remember that domesticated animals and animals raised as pets are happy in smaller areas. I doubt a domesticated rabbit would want to run free in a field like a wild rabbit would.
Having seen my rabbits tear around my old garden (which was pretty huge) at immense speed I'd say they definitely would make use of an entire field. Certainly an area bigger than the majority of gardens in the UK.
I'm not saying every rabbit, but most.

I have a pretty large yard, and back when I used to let my ducks free range they didn't go in many areas of my yard even though they had the freedom to. And I know on another forum I'm on people who have dozens of acres of land say their chickens and ducks always stay within sight of their house.
Ducks and chickens aren't anything like rabbits. I find that comparison rather bizarre.

Other than space what do rabbits want? A rabbit friend, some like human company, good food, fresh water, clean living space, and a safe place. I'd say going off that most members here are very good owners.
You say that like space is a minimal issue, whereas for me it's the entire reason I don't think rabbits are really suitable as pets (for the majority of people). I believe space is the most important factor in a happy rabbit as it provides them with the opportunity to do plenty of exercise and keeps them mentally active as they spend so much time exploring and foraging.

I'm not sure why people seem to think it's bad to admit to being a good bunny owner. Do I think I am a good owner? Yep. They are loved, have a lot of space, variety of food and hay, cuddled, rushed to the vets the second I think they aren't right, and I love them to pieces. It's all a learning process having a pet. Heavens above, I brought up two girls to be caring, loving adults, but I look back and know I would have done some things differently. Does that make me not a good mother? Of course not. Same with bunnies, we do our best and love them and care for them, and that is what is important. We aren't aiming to be "the best" or "know everything." Just simply good, caring bunny owners.

I guess I'm guilty of being a good bunny mum. :D

Ducks and chickens aren't anything like rabbits. I find that comparison rather bizarre.

It's comparing domesticated species. My point was domesticated species are usually happy in smaller areas. An adult wild rabbit that was captured and put in a small yard wouldn't be happy with the space but i'm sure a domesticated rabbit would be pleased.

You say that like space is a minimal issue, whereas for me it's the entire reason I don't think rabbits are really suitable as pets (for the majority of people). I believe space is the most important factor in a happy rabbit as it provides them with the opportunity to do plenty of exercise and keeps them mentally active as they spend so much time exploring and foraging.

No, I said 'other than space' because I had already discussed space, there was no reason to mention it again. Obviously space is important. But looking at this thread I do think people worry too much about it. I agree with Lindy, people seem scared to admit they're good bunny owners.

Back