• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do rabbits need Grass?

Bucks

Warren Scout
Maybe sounds like a daft question, I realise that it would be nice for the rabbits to play & lay about on a lawn, but do they actually need fresh grass to eat, I am asking as we don't have a lawn, we give them plenty of the excell fresh herbage & fresh forage, I know about not feeding them grass clippings (which is a pity as I cut lawns for a living)
I was thinking of maybe growing a bit of turf in a seed tray in they realy needed it.

Maybe sounds like a daft question, I realise that it would be nice for the rabbits to play & lay about on a lawn, but do they actually need fresh grass to eat, I am asking as we don't have a lawn, we give them plenty of the excell fresh herbage & fresh forage, I know about not feeding them grass clippings (which is a pity as I cut lawns for a living)
I was thinking of maybe growing a bit of turf in a seed tray in they realy needed it.

Great idea! I've got an old indoor cage base which I grow grass in. As long as they have plenty of hay they don't NEED grass, but it would be nice.

A good variety of hay is important enrichment for buns. I recommend this:

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Hays,+Grasses+%2526+Herbs.4/Select+by+Hay+Type.130/Sample+Pack.23/

In my experience readigrass is the all time favourite! :D

Great idea! I've got an old indoor cage base which I grow grass in. As long as they have plenty of hay they don't NEED grass, but it would be nice.

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Hays,+Grasses+%2526+Herbs.4/Select+by+Hay+Type.130/Sample+Pack.23/

My girls love Readigrass. I don't give it to them too often though as I believe it is quite high in calcium.

I buy rolls of turf from garden centres at this time of year. The buns love it and when it gets eaten it's cheap to replace.

Yes I saw the Sample packs from thehayexperts mentioned on another thread, Will have to try it & the Readigrass.

How long do these Hays & grasses keep for?

Yes I saw the Sample packs from thehayexperts mentioned on another thread, Will have to try it & the Readigrass.

How long do these Hays & grasses keep for?

If you keep them inside in the dry, probably around 6 months? The sample packs are only small, so it shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 weeks to use them up. :)

With new turf you don't know when it was last sprayed with Herbicide!

That would also be my concern with new turf.

Best grass for buns if you don't have a lawn is to go find somewhere safe you can pick it that the council don't spray and isn't fouled by dogs etc.
Wild meadows, fields, parks and such. We get a big carrier bag of long meadow grasses and dandelions etc from our grade II listed city cemetery that is only strimmed in summer on a rotation basis - no spraying. I keep the bag in the fridge and feed it over a couple of days, washed first. Buns love it :love:
We also have a lawn.

As long as your buns have access 24 hrs a day to unlimited quality grass hay (variety as has been said is best) then they don't need grass, but every bun enjoys a handful if you can get hold of it. :D

Best grass for buns if you don't have a lawn is to go find somewhere safe you can pick it that the council don't spray and isn't fouled by dogs etc.
Wild meadows, fields, parks and such.

If you're going to do this, be sure to keep a very close eye on them. If they appear unwell or have dodgy tummies, if could be coccidiossis, which is passed on from wild rabbits, and is potentially fatal. You'll also want to worm them.

If you're going to do this, be sure to keep a very close eye on them. If they appear unwell or have dodgy tummies, if could be coccidiossis, which is passed on from wild rabbits, and is potentially fatal. You'll also want to worm them.

Coccidiosis can be passed on from dogs and cats also. It depends on the areas you pick from to be honest as to the risks invovled, but I agree it is best to be careful.

Coccidiosis can be passed on from dogs and cats also. It depends on the areas you pick from to be honest as to the risks invovled, but I agree it is best to be careful.

Really? I didn't actually know that! I think a lot of buns have it in their systems, but it only really affects very young, very old or otherwise immune comprimised buns. I'm just a bit paranoid cuz mine had it twice, and Ginger has lasting damage from it.

well I have just grown a seed tray full of grass for my buns.

It is quite well grown now so I think I might treat them to it today.

just before I have to drag Blueberry away for his separation in anticipation of his plums appearing and getting the chop :( :roll:

xx

Back