• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do Rabbits & Dogs Get Along?

egg

Warren Scout
Hi everyone and Happy New Year :wave:

We've been thinking of getting a small dog (older dog, not a puppy probably) but I'm worried about how it would interact with our 2 house rabbits. Does anyone have experience of a dog and rabbit(s) living together?

My rabbits live in a cage in the living room but their cage door is open whenever we're at home so they come and go as they please. One is very timid and gentle, the other is VERY dominant and can be quite aggressive when he doesn't get his own way. My main concern is that Charlie (the dominant rabbit) will try to hump a small dog and generally bully it and that the dog might get fed up and attack him. Charlie sees himself as head of the house and likes to be in charge so I'm a little concerned how this would go down with another animal in the home.

:)

I know people on here have dogs and rabbits together, I personally wouldn't mix the 2 like that regardless of what the dogs temperament is like.

Please don't get a dog, it will only negatively affect your rabbits. You should never keep rabbits and dogs in the same area, even if they appear to get along they are two different species and won't understand each other. One mistake or misjudgement and you end up with a dead rabbit.

I have outdoor bunnies and introduced a pup who they (and the guineas) love but I don't think I'd let them free range together .....

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like a bad idea, the only way it could work then is by moving the rabbits outside which I would never do :love:

It was my husband who wanted the dog, I'm perfectly happy with my bunnies :lol:

My youngest son wants a puppy...I told him it is bad enough that the piggies have to put up with Pebbles jumping in their pen to eat their food, they wouldn't want a puppy jumping in there to eat them!! :lol::lol: Seriously though, I wouldn't trust a dog anywhere near my buns or piggies.

Thanks fruitandnutcake, you're right, it's not worth the risk.

We'll stick to bunnies and guineas! :love:

Back