• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do I need to go to the vet?? Edit: *USELESS VET*

was it the first time they have had sprouts? or a long time since they have? it could have made her tummy gassy, especially with moulting aswell. her gut may have slowed down and she is uncomfortable but still managing to eat and drink.

the vet obviously wasn't very helpful. are they open all night? maybe if you gave them a ring, say you were in earlier etc etc.. if she doesn't improve can you bring her back for something to help get her gut moving again.. it should be free of charge if it's a follow up appointment, especially if you say you wanted her to have treatment but were advised to wait and see.

i would think she would need some metacam and some maxolon maybe. or you could try some infacol and that should pass any gas. you do have to be sure there isn't a blockage though.. so i don't know if you would want to do this. i give infacol and then maxolon and metacam when bisc has this and treat him myself.. but that was allowed by the vet as bisc has had it before and i know the signs.. :?

for now i would do what others have said, offer tepid water, some of her favourie foods. if she won't eat then i've found wetting the herbs and leaving them in the water bowl with the stems sticking out encourages them to eat and get some fluid aswell. maybe try this.

do they get excited for any particular food? maybe get some and run around with it! she may get excited and run round if she sees your other bunny getting excited??

also, would she tolerate some tummy rubs? it may help to shift some gas. stop if she grates her teeth though. if you put your ear against her tummy, can you hear any sounds? normal gut sounds are a good sign, but if there is excess gas you can usually hear a kind of fizzing sound, and bubbles 'popping'.

let us know how you get on.

and you were right to take her to the vets. trust your instincts. you know her best and know when something isn't quite right. x

eta: are there any poops at all? if not, it's probably best not to give anything yet. when did she last poop or eat or drink anything?

Just tried to syringe feed... She's still well and truly big and strong enough to resist me enough to be unable to do it. She's currently munching on hay and dandelion salad slowly but surely so hopefully we're getting there. I think I stressed her out a bit trying to force feed... Won't be trying that again unless the situation gets worse. Still looking out for the poos!

She's cuddled up on my bed now so I'm just letting her relax. Don't have any pineapple juice but will go get some tomorrow. Tried to tepid water - she wasn't interested. Gave her some pear which she had a few bites of and its fairly juicy so I think she'll be okay for now.

Thanks for your advice, everyone.

This is a good sign. Maybe giving her some quiet time is good too, maybe turn the lights off or down, this always calms Pie down. If shes still stressed it won't help her tummy.
Dandelion is good for digestion and its good she's eating some pear, they are very juicy.
Keep and eye on her tonight, keep us updated. :wave:

Yeah I am suspicious of the sprouts. That was the second time she has had them but it was months before last night and she had less before and wasn't moulting. I will not be feeding them again, that's for sure.

The vet does have an emergency service but they said to call again in 12 hours if things haven't improved? I asked if the injection she was given would help with gas and i was told that it would so we'll see how that goes.

'I would think she would need some metacam and some maxolon maybe. or you could try some infacol'... I don't really know how to get access to these things? Surely only via the vets? If things haven't improved by the morning I will ask about them.

The vet said he assumed I was right by the GI stasis and didn't really give me any other options for what it could be so really it could be anything. Ry hasn't had any stressors though so I am assuming it was the sprouts plus moulting.

She does seem to be in slightly less pain and is munching hay, digging around, and looking more alert. We'll see how it turns out. Still no poos.

Just tried to syringe feed... She's still well and truly big and strong enough to resist me enough to be unable to do it. She's currently munching on hay and dandelion salad slowly but surely so hopefully we're getting there. I think I stressed her out a bit trying to force feed... Won't be trying that again unless the situation gets worse. Still looking out for the poos!

She's cuddled up on my bed now so I'm just letting her relax. Don't have any pineapple juice but will go get some tomorrow. Tried to tepid water - she wasn't interested. Gave her some pear which she had a few bites of and its fairly juicy so I think she'll be okay for now.

Thanks for your advice, everyone.

maybe the force feed has shown her you mean business! seriously though, it's great she is eating more now. hopefully now there will be some poops aswell as it all moves through her system. keep us updated x

Yeah I am suspicious of the sprouts. That was the second time she has had them but it was months before last night and she had less before and wasn't moulting. I will not be feeding them again, that's for sure.

The vet does have an emergency service but they said to call again in 12 hours if things haven't improved? I asked if the injection she was given would help with gas and i was told that it would so we'll see how that goes.

'I would think she would need some metacam and some maxolon maybe. or you could try some infacol'... I don't really know how to get access to these things? Surely only via the vets? If things haven't improved by the morning I will ask about them.

The vet said he assumed I was right by the GI stasis and didn't really give me any other options for what it could be so really it could be anything. Ry hasn't had any stressors though so I am assuming it was the sprouts plus moulting.

She does seem to be in slightly less pain and is munching hay, digging around, and looking more alert. We'll see how it turns out. Still no poos.

it does sound like it may be the sprouts which have set her tum off a bit but not enough to stop her eating completely.

when bisc has this he does small poops and not many, then there will be alot of horrible dark ones come though. so hopefully she will get her tum back on track soon. great she's eating hay aswell.

infacol you can get at the chemist/supermarket, it's the one for babies. and the maxolon and metacam is from the vets. maybe see how she gets on and then if you still feel she isn't right, take her back tomorrow morning, or ring and update them and see if you can go and collect something for her.

but it sounds like she's doing better. they certainly take their time though don't they!

x

Back