• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do i get a friend

ToniB64

New Kit
We adopted Gizmo, who is 4 months, about a month ago, to be a friend with Charlie who was 5, unfortunately Charlie died suddenly on Saturday. When we found them Gizmo was snuggled up with him, they had bonded really well. He has seemed fine until today (Tuesday) and i have noticed he seems a bit quieter, i realise that he is probably missing him, therefore should i see about getting him a new friend? Is it to soon?

The rabbits actually belong to my daughter and they live in her room but have the run of the house, and she says she doesn't want another rabbit. Charlie was her first rabbit and she loved him dearly, we all did and are really gutted that he's died. Gizmo hasn't had a great start to life so i want to do whats right for him, but what is that?

Last edited:
I'm sure Gizmo would love to have a friend, but as he is nearly at the 'hormonal teenager' stage I would book him in for his neuter first then wait several weeks for his hormones to settle (give him lots of attention so he doesn't feel too lonely) then ask a rescue if they have any suitable spayed girlies that he could meet first to make sure they are compatible. Introductions and bonding need to be done in a small neutral area- many rescues will help with bonding for a donation :)

I'm sure Gizmo would love to have a friend, but as he is nearly at the 'hormonal teenager' stage I would book him in for his neuter first then wait several weeks for his hormones to settle (give him lots of attention so he doesn't feel too lonely) then ask a rescue if they have any suitable spayed girlies that he could meet first to make sure they are compatible. Introductions and bonding need to be done in a small neutral area- many rescues will help with bonding for a donation :)

That's spot on. Hopefully by then your daughter will have got over the initial heartbreak of losing her bun, and understand that it's unfair to deny Gizmo a friend he obviously needs. I'm sure she will love the new bun too when she's ready.

He is actually in the vets as we speak. I didnt realise that he would be hormonal for a couple of weeks, so by then it would be easier for my daughter to understand he needs company. I thought he would need company sooner than that, thanks for your help. Have looked through the bunnies for adoption and love the look of Rosie from Walsall, and shes only up the road from us, fingers crossed.

Yes, good luck :wave:
He will still be quite hormonal, and possibly fertile, for 6 weeks or so after his neuter. If you get a girl bun who is already spayed you won't have this extra worry and expense later.
It is a good idea for both buns to have a 4 week course of panacur or lapizole to prevent either infecting the other with e cuniculi which may otherwise cause problems in the future xx

Back