• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dividing Hutch - Is this big enough?

Bitzy

Mama Doe
Hiya

My 11 week old bunnies (allegedly male and female) have had a big falling out so we're having to separate them until they've been 'done' and can be re-bonded.

So, we've divided the hutch and attached run into two .... luckily the hutch has 2 ramps leading to the downstairs part and the doors on this are kept open so each half has permanent access to the (divided) run.

Each half of the hutch and run space works out at 32 ft sq ...... is this big enough for each bunny?? (If I remember rightly its meant to be a minimum of 36 sq ft for 2 bunnies but didn't know what the minimum was for single bunnies)

Obviously this will only be temporary and hopefully in a couple of months when they've been neutered and re-bonded they can have the run of the full thing again.

We've separated it with 2 layers of mesh (with about 2-3cm inbetween each layer) so that they can still see and smell each other but can't get to each other and fight.

Does this set up sound ok for them??

Thanks, Jo x

Last edited:
I'd say as it's temporary, being four square foot under the suggested size isn't really going to matter. Four square foot isn't a huge loss really - and they sound like they'd have loads of room once they're back together again. :D

If you're really worried they won't have enough space you can always do as Bungle Bunny has hinted at and let them out for a little while to free range, or maybe even bring them inside for a bit of a hop about. :)

Good luck with the neutering and re-bonding once you get there. :):wave:

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

OH has just said that tomorrow (after he's been to buy more wood and mesh etc), he's planning on extending the run by another 2-3 ft so that should bring it up to them having at least 36 sq ft each (when you take into account the width too).

I'd like to free range them indoors as well because they're used to having double the space that they have just now but obviously that would have to be seperately and so their 'out' time would be limited.....but I'll do it as often as poss.

I'll keep you posted about their sex (getting them re-checked at vets on Tues) and their neutering/bonding etc.

Cheers, Jo x

Ours fell out just before neutering and had to be separated due to fighting. They did go back together fairly easily though. Bear in mind that you will need a neutral space for bonding, so if you have them inside and the male is spraying urine and marking everything, you will have to have a good clean before using the same space for bonding.

Thanks tintin, I was a bit worried about them re-bonding....... what sex are yours??

I was thinking of rebonding them in a pen in the spare bedroom when the time's right, neither of them will be going in there before then and it means I can stay with them without disturbing anyone else.

They've been bombing round the (separated) run this morning and were binkying all over the gaff so I think they're quite happy with the new arrangement. :D

They can still see and smell each other through the mesh but so far have pretty much ignored each other!

Cheers, Jo x

Back