• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

*distressing* Front Legs paralysed, can't lift up

stuuk

New Kit
I'm new here and only dropped in to tell this story, because over the last 4 years of owning rabbits myself I've found the various internet forums very helpful.
I thought I would share this information - though I'm not sure it is very useful. Maybe others can add to it, and one day someone might find this useful.
Browse away now as this is not a happy ending.

Our much loved house rabbit called Hoppy came running down the hall today, we were all in the living room adjoining as he came flying on past and darted off into the kitchen, hitting something on the way as is not unusual - he is a bit ditzy and clumsy. So as usual I go to check and see what all the noise is, only this time Hops is on the floor stretched out looking dazed. I got down on the floor with him to check him out thinking maybe he's stunned or something - already very unusual - I've never seen a rabbit get stunned like that.

It becomes obvious to me very quickly when I move close to him that things are not OK. I scoop him up. He never lets me hold him, not voluntarily.
He is totally pliant in my arms and doesn't struggle at all. I put him on the kitchen sideboard so I can get a better look at what's going on.
He gets hugs and comes round a little, but things are not good. I wasn't sure right away though we figured it out pretty quickly - he cannot move his front legs.
After checking him out for awhile we decide to put him back on the floor in a less scary place - we make it comfy for him.

He sits there for the next half hour while he's fussed over but he doesn't do a great deal - his back legs work, but he can't control direction.
He can kind of slither across the floor, but his front legs are starting to go to funny angles - out in front of his body (not so unusual) but then each one more and more outward towards a 90 degree position.
We make calls, but it's New Year and Covid. Someone can see him in the next 2-4 hours, but I'd have to stay in the car and who knows how long it will be. Oh and it's snowing and pitch black.
I decide not to put him through taking him away from his home to a car (he hates cars) to go sit in the cold, away from the people he knows.

His breathing is normal, maybe even a bit slow. He's in no obvious signs of pain. He's being fussed (but in a controlled way) -maybe he'll perk up if we just give him some time?
We wait, monitor closely but try to give him a bit of space.
He doesn't seem confused, but it's not obvious he knows what's going on either - he sits and stares, he lets us cuddle him. He doesn't tough water or food. Can he even see us? We don't know.

A bit less than two hours total time have now elapsed since whatever it was that injured him. His front legs are now splayed out at 60 degree angles away from his body.
I move him to to try and get him a little comfier, and that's when he lets out the only pain shreak I've ever heard him make in the almost 4 years we've known him.
It's an agonised howl pretty much. He's panting now and looks bad. It’s now clear he is in significant pain. Hoppy dies being cuddled by my wife and daughter.

Day two of the new year so far is not better than 2020 for us!
I can only think he broke his neck or back bouncing off something, or possibly had a stroke.
I take some comfort that I didn't bundle him in the car to die in the cold away from his home - and maybe that's what this post is about? the ethics of how to respond?
I know my wife and I discussed it and we didn't really come to a decision, but ultimately if he had to die we were glad he was with us.
Not sure anyone could have done much anyway under the circumstances - he died quickly.

Anyway that's the story and I hope this can possibly help someone someday.
I can tell you I never though as a grown man I would cry like a baby over a small animal, but, yeah. There we go.
We will miss you hoppy rabbit!

Last edited by a moderator:
The noise you heard is not uncommon when a bunny dies unassisted. I had bad weather where all I could do was to give pain meds .
Sorry for your loss.

I really feel for you. My beautiful bunny Misty had a terrible accident and later died at home. It is tragic when it happens like that and you can't get vet assistance straight away.

He was in your wife's arms so hopefully found some comfort there. So sorry for your loss xx

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I'm really sorry to hear this sad news, and thank you for sharing. I hope you can take a little comfort that he didn't die alone, and was with his loving family. Binky free Hoppy xxx

Back