• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Difference in the Genitals of a Neutered Buck and a Doe

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
Can anyone help. I've looked on line for photos but still not sure. TIA

Last edited:
Buck has a circular hole at the end of the prepuce
Doe has a slit

Gap between vagina and anus of a Doe is shorter than gap between penis and anus of a Buck

SwrPB5l.jpg

xcLVoWz.jpg

ETA, a Buck with a split penis ( genetic problem) the his penis will look like a vagina so that can make things more complicated.

Last edited:
Good luck - it's not easy. My latest bunny was literally picked up from a field - obviously a dumped pet and the most handleable rabbit I've ever come across. Was advertised as a girl - they had never kept a rabbit before, but had done a good job for a year. Definitely wasn't an entire male (at around 2 - 3years old, that should have been obvious). Vet thinks it's a neutered boy, so Betty is now Bertie. There's no clue from my other rabbits, either - 2 hate him/her and hopefully B will bond with my other boy, as that was the original plan.

I had a look on Cottontails yesterday and there is good advice and photos but I'm still not sure. :roll:

Can you post some images of his/her bits on here ?

I am afraid not. My phone doesn''t take photos and I can''t figure out my camera. He/she has been living with an entire Buck in the previous home and hasn't got pregnant but I have separated them and he is booked in for castration. He was mounting the other Rabbit yesterday but didn't mate with her/him. The previous owners had named the Buck Ruby!

We checked again yesterday and I am pretty sure it's a Doe, but why hasn't she got pregnant (I hope). Won't be sure for another 3 weeks. He is booked in for castration on the 21st December, the first date available. The Vets are extremely busy as one of the practices has closed down.

We checked again yesterday and I am pretty sure it's a Doe, but why hasn't she got pregnant (I hope). Won't be sure for another 3 weeks. He is booked in for castration on the 21st December, the first date available. The Vets are extremely busy as one of the practices has closed down.

How old is she ?

In regards to unfixed bunnies, in my experience does seem to be gentle where as bucks can be aggressive once there past 3 months old but can be trained. Once they mature you can easily identify who is male and female.

Last edited:
Back