• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Devastated: Urgent, Please Help

aussiebun

Alpha Buck
Hi all,

I am in complete shock and utterly devastated. My beautiful, friendly, storybook bunny Roger passed away this afternoon with no warning or sign of illness whatsoever. He was only 4!

How can this happen? Could it be related to the Myxi/VHD outbreaks close to my area, even though my buns are house buns and vaccinated?

There was no warning, he didn't appear ill, was behaving normally, no wounds/marks on his little body, no chewed cords or anything that could have hurt him, I'm at a loss.

This can't be happening.

Oh No :shock: :cry: :cry:

As he was VHD Vaccinated it's highly unlikely that VHD was the cause. Always assuming he was not only just vaccinated (ie within the last 3 weeks with CYLAP, the one you have over in Aus') and that he had a sufficient immune response to the vaccine to give him adequate protection. Especially when in a known are of disease outbreak.

There are so many things that can cause sudden death and really a PM is the only way to stand a chance of obtaining some answers as to 'why'.

Was Roger the Rex ?
In my experience Rexes are prone to Heart Disease. So a cardiomyopathy is something that should be evident at PM.

Acute Pneumonia or acute bloat are another couple of possibilities.

I really am so very sorry. You must feel totally shocked and devastated :cry:

I am so sorry to hear about Roger. :cry::cry: I have no answers, but I will be thinking about you today. xxx

Binky free, little Roger. xxx

Jane - I knew you'd be the first person to respond.

I'm just in shock, numb one minute, in tears the next.

Barney is with him at the moment, so that he can say goodbye. I sat with them for a few moments, but I feel they need time alone together for Barney to really be able to express his emotions :(

Rogy was most definitely vaccinated, absolutely, so are Barney, Lucy and Lily. Rogy and Barney are due for boosters next month.

Rogy was just your run of the mill bunny, nothing fancy but oh lordy he was beautiful and soooo funny!

He didn't seem ill at all, the last time I saw him alive was only 2 hours before I found him! He and Barney were sitting together under my bed, nothing seemed out of order. I went back in a couple of hours later to give them their dinner and Barney was waiting but Rogy wasn't, that was when I found him :(

I can't believe this.

I'm so very sorry to hear about Roger, i can't imagine how you feel. It's every bunny mummy's most dreaded nightmare:cry:

Lot's of hugs and thoughts to you x

Thankyou all for your kind words, they are most appreciated.

Should I be worried about my other buns? Especially Barney who was with Roger 24/7? Should they all go to the vet?

I'm very concerned about Barney, he relied on Roger for everything, I don't think he'll cope well with this at all.

I dont have any advice, but i just wanted to say that im thinking of you right now, i know how upsetting it is to lose a special bunny, i only lost Kermit last year.
Hugs for you xx

How devastating. I'm so sorry that happened to you and especially Barney. I hope you both begin to feel better soon.

I'm so sorry! It's terrible to just find them there....brings back memories of my Maximus. He was fine one minute, and the next he was gone.:( He was a rex.

I just hope that, in time, it gets easier.

I'm so sorry for your loss, i lost my Jazz suddenly last year, 2 hours before he was fine, then found dead, he had a pm and had an enlarged heart, he was only 1 :(

I'm so sorry, I lost a bunny before Xmas in a similar sudden way. I took my remaining bunny to the vets to get a thorough check over, and he was fine. I was offered a PM, but I just couldn't afford it - I wanted to have my bun cremated and returned to me which was £110 before I had a PM too.

So long as my remaining bun had a clean bill of health, that had to be my priority. As it was, my vet gave me a couple of suggestions as to what could have happened given it was so sudden. The main thing was that my vet reassured me that even if she'd been with them, there was nothing they probably could have done because it was so sudden.

I'm afraid I have no answers. But I am so so sorry for you. :cry:

So, so sorry for your loss. Had a similar experience two years ago. She was lively and begging off me. I was elsewhere in the house and then two hours later she I found her dead. I've assumed over time that it was her heart as I didn't have a PM done and it seems the most likely explanation.

Is the weather particularly hot for you at the moment? Just wondering if it's somthing that could maybe have contributed?

I hope it's nothing that will affect your other buns, seeing as they are vaccinated and the suddenness of your loss, hopefully this is the case.

I'm so sorry, this has been a terrible shock for you.

I know this doesn't help but even seemingly fit and healthy adult humans can die suddenly and we're only just beginning to understand why.

My Betty bun took to her bed one afternoon and quietly slipped over the bridge. She was a little older but I had to console myself that she had not had to endure a lingering and painful illness. I found my loss difficult and at the time did not know about this wonderful site and all these wonderful supportive people.

Do not beat yourself up wondering if there was anything different you could have done - you did the very best you could at the time.

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost two of mine just before Christmas and know only too well how you must be feeling. :cry:

Back