• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Devastated. Have to separate Barney & Molly :( U/D 27 March can't stop crying

:wave: Until you come up with a solution, I'm sure they will be fine in their room split in half :D they'll have much more space than a lot of buns have. Easy for me to say I know but try not to worry about them too much, I think you've done the best thing for them at the moment. I really couldn't advise what would be best to do, as I've only done the one bond so I don't know enough to say, but I think gut instincts are important about wether you think a bond might work taking into account your individual buns personalities. I would let the dust settle and give yourselves and them time to recover, and in the meantime have a think about the different options. Hopefully Becki will give some advice and ideas for you to think about :thumb:

I'm so sorry that things with Molly aren't working out. :cry: I'm sure Anne at Animal Care would understand if you had to take her back, and would make sure that she got a good home.

I would concentrate on bonding Barney with Olly or Daisy and Digby, if he seems so miserable on his own. Then, Molly can have the room to herself and Barney will be with new friends and happier. :)

oh no.. Its horrible when a bond breaks and problems arise. You may recall i adopted a duo to bond with my Willow but the boys fought over her so rather than break them up, i returned them to the rescue and bonded Willow with Smudge,

Its heartbreaking but sometimes for the best. If you're going to be ill over it, its a decision that may be for the best. I know how stressful the whole thing can be.

Lots of love
fee x

I am feeling a little better today. Barney is much happier than he was yesterday; although I think he still wants to be with Molly despite her keep attacking him. Molly is happier too, she isn't that bothered that Barney isn't with her. I think she feels better being in a pen, strangely enough. Maybe her bad start in life, in a tiny dirty hutch, means she is happier having a cage of some kind. I've been letting them out in turns, but neither spends much time out of their pen :( I guess it's boring with no bun to play with :( and it's such a faff having to climb over pens just to top up hay or clean out, it's just more work. But for now I'm just going to see how it goes. I will not be rebonding them. Barney has been through enough now. If he seems too lonely I will think about possibly bonding him with my other buns, but that's a scary prospect right now. I think they'll both be happier when they can have some greens again instead of just hay! One week down, one to go. I think I've done well not giving in !

Only just seen this. Sorry to hear about the bond.

Some bunnies like Mr B don't really get on with other bunnies and are happier single. He had 3 failed bonds, 2 before I got him. There was no way I was going to bother rebonding with him, he was never that happy with Cutie-pie and they spent most of the time of opposite sides of the bedroom. She clearly wanted company and pined for him after he attacked her, but he would completely freak out if she ever dashed into the hallway to see him.

Oh god :(:(

It's an awful thing to witness. Thank god you were home. It could just be the time of year. My two have been very frisky and full of beans lately. I remember one spring before Big died he and Little had the most god awful scrap while we were out, totally out of nowhere and they were best friends. It can happen to the best of bonds :(

Sorry to hear this :(
I had to separate Leo and Kerbie the other week after nearly a year together with no issues. Both are poorly at the moment, mainly Kerbie and he became very defensive and attacked Leo. I suspect illness and spring fever! We made their space smaller and just gave them hay and they snuggled and groomed each other but then they would just flip and both be at it :roll: both as bad as each other though.

I had a bit of a cry because of the fact they both looked unhappy. Kerbie was bored and Leo wasn't moving. So once they're both 100% health wise again I'll attempt the rebond and add in Charley.

Oh god :(:(

It's an awful thing to witness. Thank god you were home. It could just be the time of year. My two have been very frisky and full of beans lately. I remember one spring before Big died he and Little had the most god awful scrap while we were out, totally out of nowhere and they were best friends. It can happen to the best of bonds :(

I know, I really don't want to think about what might've happened if no one was home :( it only took about two minutes for all that to happen!!!

I'm sorry you have had to separate them. I had a pair and a single female living side by side and had to step over the partition. We then lost the male and I tried to bond the two girls but Katy was having none of it no matter how many times I tried. They were both happy enough living alongside each other. They got a lot of free range time (garden with puppy panels dividing it in half) and if one went out the other followed. They would also mirror image each other at times and just sit alongside each other (so long as the divider was there ;) ) They were still company for each other although not together. We lost Katy last October and Cassie became quiet and would not go in the garden. She now has a new husbun and it has put the spark back into her.

Thanks bunny babe that's good to hear.

I'm worried again tonight :( neither of them are really coming out of their pens, even when the door is open :( I think I will start them on a small amount of greens tomorrow - Barney is losing weight, and they aren't eating as much hay now, my new batch is not as nice :( and I was just stroking Barney, and found another gash on his shoulder :cry: he must still be really sore bless him, I feel so sorry for him.

Thanks bunny babe that's good to hear.

I'm worried again tonight :( neither of them are really coming out of their pens, even when the door is open :( I think I will start them on a small amount of greens tomorrow - Barney is losing weight, and they aren't eating as much hay now, my new batch is not as nice :( and I was just stroking Barney, and found another gash on his shoulder :cry: he must still be really sore bless him, I feel so sorry for him.

:(

I've no real advice but sending best wishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad he has perked up.

I used to put the food in the same place by the panels so it would look like they were eating together etc (until Cassie started jumping in her water when she got excited :roll: ) so anything you can do like that may also help them settle.

My 2 boys are fighting as per my post.
Maybe we should swap one each?! Bonding a new pair and hope they work out!x

I am in emotional turmoil :cry: too much going on in my head. I am going to have to take Molly and Barney back to their respective rescue centres :cry: for loads of reasons.

I daren't rebond them - Molly is too unpredictable, she really injured Barney when she attacked him, I can't risk her hurting him when there's no one home.

They are in pens side by side but Barney wants to be with her :( he keeps trying to break into her pen. I am struggling to contain him. He's clever and strong! He needs company.

Barney is a very sociable bunny, it isn't doing him any good being on his own. I don't have the time to spend with him that he deserves.

If I take Barney back he will soon be snapped up as he's so lovely natured. But I will worry like mad about what happens next for him, as clearly any stress makes him really poorly :( if he were to be bonded with another bun it would have to be a lot more supervised , and with a very chilled out bun.

He can't eat commercial rabbit food, which a lot of potential owners might not understand. It makes him ill. That worries me too.

Molly will probably spend the rest of her life in a small hutch in the rescue she came from. With playtime in a run once a week, which is next to the dog kennels :cry: :cry: this is what I'm struggling with most. I feel like the worst person in the world, and will hate myself forever. I have always been dead against returning animals to rescues.

If I take them back Olly will get the attention he needs and deserves, which is how this all began anyway :( he hardly gets any these days.
If I take them back, it may mean I can afford to rent my own place with the other 3 buns. I think I could just manage it. I need to do this. Things are very strained with my OH these days. If I can reduce my £150 a month hay bill.

So many reasons. And I can't stop crying at the thought of returning them :cry: I love Barney to bits, he's full of fun and so adorable. Molly I love differently. She's very independent and doesn't like people, but likes living next to another bun. I wish I could be her forever friend; I don't think anyone else will 'get' her. Not in the area where her rescue is. I wish I could take her to one of the others that are on here, I would feel so much better if I could do that :(

Just really struggling with this :cry:

I am in emotional turmoil :cry: too much going on in my head. I am going to have to take Molly and Barney back to their respective rescue centres :cry: for loads of reasons.

I daren't rebond them - Molly is too unpredictable, she really injured Barney when she attacked him, I can't risk her hurting him when there's no one home.

They are in pens side by side but Barney wants to be with her :( he keeps trying to break into her pen. I am struggling to contain him. He's clever and strong! He needs company.

Barney is a very sociable bunny, it isn't doing him any good being on his own. I don't have the time to spend with him that he deserves.

If I take Barney back he will soon be snapped up as he's so lovely natured. But I will worry like mad about what happens next for him, as clearly any stress makes him really poorly :( if he were to be bonded with another bun it would have to be a lot more supervised , and with a very chilled out bun.

He can't eat commercial rabbit food, which a lot of potential owners might not understand. It makes him ill. That worries me too.

Molly will probably spend the rest of her life in a small hutch in the rescue she came from. With playtime in a run once a week, which is next to the dog kennels :cry: :cry: this is what I'm struggling with most. I feel like the worst person in the world, and will hate myself forever. I have always been dead against returning animals to rescues.

If I take them back Olly will get the attention he needs and deserves, which is how this all began anyway :( he hardly gets any these days.
If I take them back, it may mean I can afford to rent my own place with the other 3 buns. I think I could just manage it. I need to do this. Things are very strained with my OH these days. If I can reduce my £150 a month hay bill.

So many reasons. And I can't stop crying at the thought of returning them :cry: I love Barney to bits, he's full of fun and so adorable. Molly I love differently. She's very independent and doesn't like people, but likes living next to another bun. I wish I could be her forever friend; I don't think anyone else will 'get' her. Not in the area where her rescue is. I wish I could take her to one of the others that are on here, I would feel so much better if I could do that :(

Just really struggling with this :cry:

Can you not try bonding Barney and Olly and keep Molly in a separate room? :(

Back