• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

DEVASTATED advice needed asap

ive done the virkon in the house, we are doing the garden next. i cant believe a full quad as gone. im just praying now it is contained with only them. The chances of that is low because after tiggi went i cleaned the enclosures with the same dust pan and brush. Im just praying that because none of the other sets have become ill yet, that it stops here. why would darcy only develop symptoms through the night when it has been 5 days since tiggi and 3 days from cosmo. does this suggest tiggi was infected and passed it to cosmo (who she was closest to) then cosmo passed it to darcy. This is my one hope because it means only tiggi has come into contact with it and it will be more contained. sorry for rambling im just looking for any glimmer of hope at this point. :cry: it will be even harder if the others die because i will then know its me who has passed it on to them via cleaning. Santa if it wasnt for your blog and posts i think i would have lost them all by now, so thankyou. Reading everyones kind words is helping tremendously so thankyou all also. xxxxxxxxx :love:

ive done the virkon in the house, we are doing the garden next. i cant believe a full quad as gone. im just praying now it is contained with only them. The chances of that is low because after tiggi went i cleaned the enclosures with the same dust pan and brush. Im just praying that because none of the other sets have become ill yet, that it stops here. why would darcy only develop symptoms through the night when it has been 5 days since tiggi and 3 days from cosmo. does this suggest tiggi was infected and passed it to cosmo (who she was closest to) then cosmo passed it to darcy. This is my one hope because it means only tiggi has come into contact with it and it will be more contained. sorry for rambling im just looking for any glimmer of hope at this point. :cry: it will be even harder if the others die because i will then know its me who has passed it on to them via cleaning. Santa if it wasnt for your blog and posts i think i would have lost them all by now, so thankyou. Reading everyones kind words is helping tremendously so thankyou all also. xxxxxxxxx :love:

I know it is easy to say but whatever happens you shouldnt blame yourself because you are doing the best you can with the knowledge that you have at the time. If the worst was to happen and any of the others become ill then you should not blame yourself that it was you that transferred it by cleaning. The same could happen to anyone in your situation.

Thinking of you and sending more hugs, and vibes for the bunnies xxx

thanks zoobec, im just on high alert now watching. my living room is empty without bleu and bellas things, and them two have had to stay locked in our room. They have got all the room now because my hubby said anything could happen so he doesnt mind if they wee on us through the night. We took the gate off cutting our side of the room off from theirs and they now have it all, plus tunnels under the bed. And do you know what, they havent weed on the bed once since monday, which im so proud of bella especially because she hasnt been spayed yet.

thanks zoobec, im just on high alert now watching. my living room is empty without bleu and bellas things, and them two have had to stay locked in our room. They have got all the room now because my hubby said anything could happen so he doesnt mind if they wee on us through the night. We took the gate off cutting our side of the room off from theirs and they now have it all, plus tunnels under the bed. And do you know what, they havent weed on the bed once since monday, which im so proud of bella especially because she hasnt been spayed yet.

I hope young Bella continues to behave and spread a ray of sunshine in your mire of hard work and sadness.

Strength to your arm, WS. I'm glad your husband is so supportive.

How are the children taking this? And Ben? xx

I can only add my sympathy for the awful situation you are in. Horrendous.

You are doing such a fantastic job under very stressful and difficult circumstances. Wishing the very, very best of luck with everything.

Just checking in and adding some more vibes for bunnies staying healthy and comforting hugs for you, W&S. xxxx

thankyou mm. the kids are coping better than us really. my mum keeps taking him out after school so hes not around it as much. Every bun seems ok this morning. we have to clean the 2 aviary/ shed set ups today. so we are going to do one each and wear clothes that have been disinfected and im not transfering particles from one shed to the other. Ive not cleaned them for 4 days and thats bad for how often i normally do them, but i was trying not to make things worse. I cant leave them longer than today.

thankyou mm. the kids are coping better than us really. my mum keeps taking him out after school so hes not around it as much. Every bun seems ok this morning. we have to clean the 2 aviary/ shed set ups today. so we are going to do one each and wear clothes that have been disinfected and im not transfering particles from one shed to the other. Ive not cleaned them for 4 days and thats bad for how often i normally do them, but i was trying not to make things worse. I cant leave them longer than today.

I'm glad they all seem OK this morning. It must be so difficult trying to think of all the risks of transfering infection.

I hope that the situation will begin to appear more optimistic soon. And whilst it appears that it was RHD2, you can't be certain. Small possibility, but I'm sure there could be other viruses that can attack in a similarly devastating way. It would seem probable to me that Tiggi passed it on to Cosmo and Cosmo passed it on to Darcy. Because of the couple of days between each infection, it would appear to be the case that it was rabbit to rabbit, rather than them all becoming individually infected by the virus from within their enclosure.

Sending lots of hugs.

im just waiting for a call back from the vets. ive asked them to contact the lab and ask can i have testing done on darcy to try and confirm or not that is vhd1 or vhd2. i wish i would have done this earlier

another sad update darcy passed away an hour ago. A possitive is the virkon has come but i cant get the sodding lid off it and nowhere tells you how. god this is hard
I'm so sorry you lost Darcy. :cry:

You're doing incredibly well and are being so so strong. I honestly don't know what to say but please know all my vibes are going to you and your buns xxx

And I'm glad you have managed to get the lid off now xxx

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

im just waiting for a call back from the vets. ive asked them to contact the lab and ask can i have testing done on darcy to try and confirm or not that is vhd1 or vhd2. i wish i would have done this earlier

I wanted to mention this earlier but didn't want to come across as heartless given what you are going through. I don't know if you know about this project but you can have the lab fees paid for if this helps a little (and it also helps with the research):

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/vets/sudden-or-unexpected-death-investigation-1

i didnt know about that. Just read through it its a shame Its to late for that because it has to be done within 6 hours. im just hoping they can do liver samples or something now. x thanks bunny buddy x

I really hope today is the beginning of a new phase of health for your rabbits. You've all endured so much, it seems really unfair.

How long is it to countdown, when they will all be protected by the vaccine?

well going by santas blog its 7 days to immunity from vaccine which is the 21st then add on 9 days incase any have been infected before full immunity. That would make it 30th june. If feels like forever since tiggi died and its only 1 week so this countdown is going to feel like months.

Back