• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Destructive bunnies, help!

adoptafosteredbunny

Warren Scout
Ok so our new family members are very destructive! None of our nine fosters were ever this naughty so this is new to us! So please may I have lots of advice on dealing with this? Winnie has just got to the mattress!
ysata2ap.jpg

They also both seem to like skirting board and digging and pulling at carpet! Nightmare but I love them!! Bonnie is intent on getting into any gaps and will pull out anything that you use to block them with lol. We are moving to rented accommodation in a week or so, so we really need to get everything to prevent them destroying the place ASAP! So far I think best bet for the floor in their new room will be Lino...they chew the edges if they get to them but otherwise leave it alone, what do you guys use with destructive buns?

Also will this behaviour subside when they are spayed??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have very destructive bunnies. One of them, Fiver, has tortured me with it. They live free range in my bedroom and the whole place is bunny proofed but it hasn't stopped them finding something to destroy. I would advise penning them in a large dog pen or some kind of setup so they can't get to carpet, furniture etc. Either that or use puppy pen panels to block off places that are not bunny proof.

Fiver becomes absolutely obsessed with trying to get to something he isn't allowed to. He became obsessed with ripping a rug to pieces but only under my drawers. :? I tried EVERYTHING to block it off but he simply destroyed whatever it was I used or pulled it out. In the end I threw out the rug and that stopped the behaviour. :roll: He literally unraveled the whole thing anyway. He also became obsessed with chewing my walls, so I stuck laminate flooring on them so he couldn't get to them. He then decided to chew my bed and all my furniture so I now have plastic edging on everything. Although, he has chewed a massive gouge out of my bedroom door when somebody left it open one day.
More recently he decided to squeeze between the 2 litter trays (about a 3" gap) and destroyed the vet bed that was there. I now have a massive hole in the vet bed and there was bits EVERYWHERE. :roll: I've tried to block it off...but I know fine well that he will pull it out and I will just have to move the litter trays or the vet bed to stop him. Everyday he finds something else to get in to. My bedding all has huge holes in it and my headboard has been chewed to death. I don't mind these things, it's the price I pay for having such a..charismatic..rabbit. :lol:

Fiver has been neutered since he was 4 months old...he is nearly 7 now. In other words, if you have a very determined bunny, there is nothing you can do to stop them or distract them. This is why I advise penning them. My lot refuse to be caged in any way, hence why they are free range (how easy my life would be if I could put them in a cage!). You can try several things, though, to see if it helps. Placing cardboard or something over the carpet they are trying to chew can help distract. Giving them toys or chews that are more interesting than the furniture can help temporarily. Any toys that they can really destroy (willow balls, hyacinth tunnels etc) really work well. Basically, the messier the toy the more interesting it is for them. :roll: I have been building a hutch so that they can all go out during the day whilst I'm at work. My theory is that they then get to see something other than my bedroom day in and day out and will hopefully keep their minds active (because 1000 different toys isn't enough :roll:).

Thanks for your advice! Fiver sounds a lot like Bonnie! We are really lucky that we will have a dedicated bunny room so can avoid furniture being nommed! We have a puppy pen at the moment and ordered another yesterday so should be able to put them along the walls. There's Tudor beams which I certainly don't want ruined!! We will also get some more messy toys and Lino floor to fit the whole room. Oh how cheap and easy bunnies are....NOT!

Thanks for your advice! Fiver sounds a lot like Bonnie! We are really lucky that we will have a dedicated bunny room so can avoid furniture being nommed! We have a puppy pen at the moment and ordered another yesterday so should be able to put them along the walls. There's Tudor beams which I certainly don't want ruined!! We will also get some more messy toys and Lino floor to fit the whole room. Oh how cheap and easy bunnies are....NOT!

:lol: Yes, they are a pain in the **** sometimes.

Watch the lino..if they find an edge to it..you will not have lino anymore. :lol:

My Milly is like Vegan_Bunnys Fiver... My two used to be free range and as a result my wallpaper was ripped off, they chewed the carpet down to the floorboards, Milly broke into my wardrobe and ate my favourite pair of shoes ( :cry: ), they ate a sofa (!), they eat my bedding... Mine are penned when I'm not there now!

I've never been able to stop her! She then taught Charlie how to be naughty, he used to be the least destructive bunny ever!

Back