• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dental bun owners. Were they accidental litters or a deliberate litter.

Was your dental bun(s) part of a deliberate litter or an accidental one?

• Deliberately bread by a *******

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Accidental litter.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Don't know if bun was intended or not.

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Ha ha I don't have a dental bun :P

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters
The woman who I got Grim from originally bought him from a pet shop so I guess he was intentional. Other rabbits with similar colouring and breeds in the area seem to have the same problems and I rescued another, Dexter, from a pet shop (could have been the same one) who also had to have his front teeth out like Grim did. Although Dexter was only 12 weeks old. :evil:

i dont know history of yours but dental problems are usually genetic and should never be bred from and any good breeder wont breed from a rabbit with dental problems in its line or any other genetic problems
however some breeders either dont care or dont know of the problem
hard to say really
i dont have dental problems in my lines therefore i dont have any rabbits with dental problems ;)
ann x

i dont know history of yours but dental problems are usually genetic and should never be bred from and any good breeder wont breed from a rabbit with dental problems in its line or any other genetic problems
however some breeders either dont care or dont know of the problem
hard to say really
i dont have dental problems in my lines therefore i dont have any rabbits with dental problems ;)
ann x

That's good:) But how old are your oldest buns, as it doesn't always come out until they are older?

Wow you have had a bad time of it:(

Do you know how the other two got on? And were Mum and Dad related?

Binky free Blackie:(

Nope unfortunately the person that got the other 2 babies didnt keep in touch :(

Mum and dad were both from different breeders :? (this was 1year 6month before i knew about rescuing) but although they were from different breeders they could have been related through generations of breeding but there was no way to find out as the breeder i got millie from was a new breeder and "Just bought any rabbit to breed from" the breeder i got Thumper from was a 13year old girl and her mum (both lovely people whom i convinced to stop breeding :D) They had went that little bit further to get non-related rabbits to breed from.

Thumper was miss-sexed as he was ment to be a she :roll: but i think he was a late bloomer :lol:

Ive not had the hardest time but its not exactly been easy. At 3weeks old Fudge was at the vets because she wouldnt suckle from her mum :roll: you should have seen her poo after she got better, green, slimey and squidgy :shock: Blackies eye started watering at 4weeks old and then skyes eye at 4 1/2weeks old, Fudges watered at about 3months old before she got her first dental but luckily cleared up :)

Fudge does have the most advanced dental disease out of them all, she has loose molars that arent level, she has missing teeth and large spaces between her teeth, she has poor enamel and at the last dental her inscisors had to be burred as they were growing too long (first time for that). She gets stasis alot because of the pain from the roots of her teeth pushing through her jaw (which isnt slowing down :() she also gets gassy/colic alot which has in the passed caused stasis. She is on metacam alot because of the pain but apart from all that she is still a very happy and loving bunny :love:

I cant look to the future with Fudge as i know its only going to get worse so we take each day as it comes and i spend as much time with her as possible. I will not leave my room without telling her i love her incase its the last time i can. I am confident in my vet 210% that when things do get worse she is going to get the best treatment and i have the determination to make her as comfortable and happy as possible through anything until the end :)

sorry for the essay :shock::roll: just thought id share :):lol:

Pipkin was from a breeder but didn't start having teeth trouble until he was 3, so it might have been the same with his parents, as Sky-O said.

That's good:) But how old are your oldest buns, as it doesn't always come out until they are older?

my oldest minilop was 11, just lost a 7 year last week :cry:
the oldest in the shed now is conti giant age 6 , nethie age 7 and mini lop 5/6 need to look at her ring
i know my lines well and i know there are no teeth problems in the lines
ann x

Back