• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Decisions decisions!

daisymaisy

Young Bun
My nearly 13-week old buns have been sleeping indoors and spending most days out in their enclosure & run. Having done some reading and thinking, I'm wondering if they will be happier outside 24/7. Always thought they'd be more sociable and content spending time indoors with us, but from what I've read going in and out everyday could be having the opposite effect and possibly make them unhappy. They just seem to fragile to leave outside!

Hi Daisy ;) Well they have each other which is a good start. I have mine indoors because lack of garden space in our back yard area but we have a huge front area but I wouldn't trust them out front full time incase they got stolen, however I have been contemplating an outdoor run for the summer months. To be honest even if i did have the space out back i think i would still prefer them indoors. I love interacting with them which is constant because they are in my living area, I am not sure wether they would get as much attention outside but .. you have 2 bonded Buns so they have each other for company. My Rabbits are single Rabbits at the moment. I'v seen some lovely outdoor set up's on here ;) xx

My nearly 13-week old buns have been sleeping indoors and spending most days out in their enclosure & run. Having done some reading and thinking, I'm wondering if they will be happier outside 24/7. Always thought they'd be more sociable and content spending time indoors with us, but from what I've read going in and out everyday could be having the opposite effect and possibly make them unhappy. They just seem to fragile to leave outside!

I'm wondering about what is wrong with them going in and out everyday? My rabbit is a single at the moment and so I have her with me wherever I am. When I am inside she is with me and when I am outside or in the kitchen she is around outside? Just curious!

Hey Bellatrix15 - it was a little snipped of info I read on a leaflet produced by RWAF. I may have misinterpreted, but it basically says that if they are routinely switched from hutch to run that they don't settle, and that it's stressful waiting for us to come along and let them out. I've extended the use of the word hutch to cage, as that's all I have indoors, so I guess they are, in effect, waiting for me to let them out. We really like the social interaction with them in the evenings though (and I think Daisy is a bit partial to Mr Walliams on BGT). I think I'm going to make the outdoor enclosure a little more suitable for all weather conditions, and religiously put them out earlier in the day.

Hey Bellatrix15 - it was a little snipped of info I read on a leaflet produced by RWAF. I may have misinterpreted, but it basically says that if they are routinely switched from hutch to run that they don't settle, and that it's stressful waiting for us to come along and let them out. I've extended the use of the word hutch to cage, as that's all I have indoors, so I guess they are, in effect, waiting for me to let them out. We really like the social interaction with them in the evenings though (and I think Daisy is a bit partial to Mr Walliams on BGT). I think I'm going to make the outdoor enclosure a little more suitable for all weather conditions, and religiously put them out earlier in the day.

I think that sounds good. I don't want to lose sight of mine and i adore sharing my home with them but at times they have to be locked up, it isn't long but it isn't nice for them when they are but i have to consider their safety and of course my home. As long as I am home or someone else is home they are free. In the mornings they are itching to get out and I can see that if they had that full time outdoor that would be great and less faffing about. I suppose it is what works best for you and your pets. xx

Oh dear - almost summer and now I'm wondering how my arrangements will work in Winter. As Freakinfreak points out, they don't like sudden temperature changes, so if I continue bringing them indoors each night, come winter it might not work. hmmmmmmmm... thinking cap back on!

My eight buns are outside all year round and seem to be very hardy. Although they are outside, I often have visitors in my kitchen looking for titbits and the ginger nut tin. (a very special occasional treat). If you were thinking of a shed with attached covered run (which I have) you won't have to get up early to let them out and they would enjoy going in/out as they please. A shed is very cosy to sit in and chat with the buns, I have vet bed covering the whole floor, which I sit on and so comfy I'm tempted to sleep out there! I have 3 dogs as well so it would be a bit crowded with 8 buns as well indoors!

ps My youngsters were born outside (in a shed) I don't think they are fragile temperature wise.

Bunnies cope very well outdoors as long as their accommodation is suitable :) Mine are in a shed.

Like other people have said though, sudden temperature change can actually kill them, so moving them in and out constantly isn't great. It's better to have them always in, or always out (though of course we all bring our bunnies in for a cuddle from time to time) :)

Bunnies cope very well outdoors as long as their accommodation is suitable :) Mine are in a shed.

Like other people have said though, sudden temperature change can actually kill them, so moving them in and out constantly isn't great. It's better to have them always in, or always out (though of course we all bring our bunnies in for a cuddle from time to time) :)

I don't ever bring mine indoors. Two dogs, one of which would be VERY interested and all eight rabbits loathe being cuddled!!!

Mine are outdoors. I was told when I got mine from the breeder not to bring them in for too long because of the temperature changes as others have said. In the summer it isn't so bad as there's not often much of a change like there is in winter. When I first had Bella in Feb it was still really cold so would bring her in for very quick cuddles, or better still if I could stand the cold I stayed outside to give her cuddles instead.

Mind is made up! So, now begins the fun of designing something :) Have taken lots of ideas from this site, added a few things, and hope to begin construction in the next week or two! This is too much fun :) :) :)

Back