• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Decanted rabbit medicine

Graciee

Staff member
How long would you use it for?

If something was dispensed 8 months ago, would you still happily use it?

TIA x

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I wouldn't unless my vet said it was ok & explained why it was ok
Thanks, my Vet in the past has said 6 months it'd be fine.. But Idk I'm worried as its been 8 months since this one was dispensed :( can hopefully get some fresh tomorrow morning but we used up all the newer tramadol :(

If I'm honest I would be tempted to with my own animals. I'd be thinking it would either help or had no effect as the medication is no longer effective, although a risk may be if any bacteria has got in. I'm strict with eye drops for my dog that aren't prescription but have to be used within 28 days as bacteria may get in then obviously you're putting it sensitive in the eyes, not sure an oral liquid could have the same effect??

If I'm honest I would be tempted to with my own animals. I'd be thinking it would either help or had no effect as the medication is no longer effective, although a risk may be if any bacteria has got in. I'm strict with eye drops for my dog that aren't prescription but have to be used within 28 days as bacteria may get in then obviously you're putting it sensitive in the eyes, not sure an oral liquid could have the same effect??
That's what I was thinking [emoji51] he's in so much pain :(

I smelt it and it smells like tramadol, it looks fine, I'm happy to taste it [emoji38] but Idk, I don't wanna hurt him :(

Its usually just less effective in humans and I probably would with my buns as I'm quite careful with sterileness with meds because I keep some on hand but it's an individual decision.

This is where having a medically inclined friend would be really helpful lol

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

When I get meds I often put half into a separate bottle (the old bottle) so I do not contaminate the unused portion when I am loading a previously used/yet washed oral syringe. While I have used expired meds in emergency situations in the past when a vet was not available, I know I would feel awful if the pet took a turn for the worse, not knowing if his/her condition just got worse or the expired meds were contaminated. It is a judgement call.

Back