• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dealing with loss of our rabbit

Sweep sounds like he was a very special bunny. He looks very handsome in his picture too.
I often cried myself to sleep after the loss of a bunny. Often asking myself 'what if'. I learned to take it further and ask myself 'what if he did not have me to give him a love.
Write his story, post it to rainbow bridge or keep it with his photos.
Keep busy.

Sweep sounds like he was a very special bunny. He looks very handsome in his picture too.
I often cried myself to sleep after the loss of a bunny. Often asking myself 'what if'. I learned to take it further and ask myself 'what if he did not have me to give him a love.
Write his story, post it to rainbow bridge or keep it with his photos.
Keep busy.
Thank you so much for your kind words and advice. He was a very special little boy, and losing him is absolutely devastating. I understand the crying yourself to sleep, as that’s what I have been doing. And waking up early and crying all over again x

What a beautiful boy. I'm so sorry for your loss. Losing a rabbit friend is a pain like no other.

Did you all cry constantly when you lost you bunnies? I just haven’t been able to stop since he has been gone 😥😥😥
I cried a lot when I lost my little bunny about three years ago, I just felt raw. I still shed a few tears now when I look at her photo. Its easier now, but I still miss her very much. Sending you a big hug, it will get easier xx

I understand that entirely. I can’t seem to get out of it. I’m worried about going back to work and worried I won’t cope. Everything feels just empty at the moment. Sorry for your loss too x

I understand that entirely. I can’t seem to get out of it. I’m worried about going back to work and worried I won’t cope. Everything feels just empty at the moment. Sorry for your loss too x
Don’t expect too much from yourself, I’m sure anyone who has lost a loved pet will understand how you are feeling.

When I lost my Maddie after a similar illness to your Sweep, I cried myself to exhaustion and still shed tears when I think of her life cut short. She was my lap bunny and holding her gave me a feeling of peace which I lost when I lost her.
She will never be replaced, yet a few months later I saw Amber unexpectedly when I was getting supplies and it was love at first cuddle. Even after three years, I still have a Maddie hole in my heart, yet my heart grew to hold another bunny. A month after getting Amber I brought home her brother Zorro after he was bullied by another bunny and covered in bites. Another lap bunny.
I hope you can find a way to move forward while honoring the memory of Sweep.

Last edited:
Did you take time off work after the loss of your bunnies? I’m struggling to think how I can go back, and yet I know that I must.

Did you take time off work after the loss of your bunnies? I’m struggling to think how I can go back, and yet I know that I must.

Due to illness and disability I have not worked for a long time, so the situation never occured. What I did and still do have is other Rabbits who need me, I have a dog too. So I am forced to keep going and do my usual things because of my responsibility for their welfare.

I do think it’s important to insure there is structure to your days at this time. Work could provide structure. If you have a good relationship with your employer then you could say that you have just lost a dearly loved pet.Whilst some people will still think of pets as ‘just’ animals there are those who know just how important pets can be, no less than any human family member.

If you don’t go to work I think you will find you go deeper down into the dark hole of despair. Sometimes being forced to function might not be what we want, but it is what we need. That said, as with everything we are all different. What is right for me wont necessarily be right for anyone else.

Due to illness and disability I have not worked for a long time, so the situation never occured. What I did and still do have is other Rabbits who need me, I have a dog too. So I am forced to keep going and do my usual things because of my responsibility for their welfare.

I do think it’s important to insure there is structure to your days at this time. Work could provide structure. If you have a good relationship with your employer then you could say that you have just lost a dearly loved pet.Whilst some people will still think of pets as ‘just’ animals there are those who know just how important pets can be, no less than any human family member.

If you don’t go to work I think you will find you go deeper down into the dark hole of despair. Sometimes being forced to function might not be what we want, but it is what we need. That said, as with everything we are all different. What is right for me wont necessarily be right for anyone else.
I am very sorry to hear that.
I think you are right in what you are saying. Last week I knew that I was very capable of sinking into a very deep dark hole if I didn’t try. So today I have gone back to work, and it has been so difficult. The physical symptoms are also a problem with all the grief, so it is hard. But luckily I have a great team and colleagues who all understand.

I think you are right in what you are saying. Last week I knew that I was very capable of sinking into a very deep dark hole if I didn’t try. So today I have gone back to work, and it has been so difficult. The physical symptoms are also a problem with all the grief, so it is hard. But luckily I have a great team and colleagues who all understand.
Glad that you have colleagues that understand, hope their support helps a little xx

It will make a huge difference if your colleagues are empathetic 😀

Back