• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cylap Problems

Has your bun(s) have ever had any side effects with Cylap

• Yes

Votes: 50 64.1%
  • No

Votes: 28 35.9%

• Total voters
I voted yes. Sophie had her first VHD cylap injection 6 months ago and developed 7 or 8 huge open sores around and even further away from the injection site. She needed baytril, an antibiotic cream and I had 3 vets visits associated with this. She still has scars.

My vet was great and contacted the manufacturer who refunded all my vets bills.

We had another vet visit today with Billy our Continental Giant , (you can read about him on page 4 of this thread for those of you who aren't familar with what happened in his particular case after having the Cylap vaccination). Billy has had xrays , scans , bloods taken , all these tests have revealed Billy had no underlying health issues and in this case all evidence point to the VHD vaccination being the cause for how unwell he has been this last month since having this vaccination. Our vet will be speaking to someone from Fort Dodge (Cylap manufacture) next week to tell them of their findings concerning Billy.
Will let you guys know what they say.

Really hope that Billy will be better soon, looking forward to hearing what Fort Dodge have to say....

My dutch boy Marley had a quite severe VHD burn appear a couple of days after his Cylap vaccine. It was reported to Forte Dodge (the manufacturers) and they covered the bill for his subsequent veterinary treatment. Thankfully the scarring was not permenant and the fur eventually grew back.

My vets no longer offer the Cylap VHD vaccine.

Couldn't believe this :-(

Really hope that Billy will be better soon, looking forward to hearing what Fort Dodge have to say....

Hi Fiona. Well yesterday I received below email from Fort Dodge , I have removed names to protect peoples privacy but I guess you will still get the picture.

Thank you for your email of 17 December 2009 and apologies that you have not previously had a reply from us.

Your Veterinary Surgeon, ................... had spoken to our Technical Services Manager, ............., when the report came to us and again today regarding 'Billy's' symptoms following vaccination with our product Cylap.

I understand that Billy is visiting your vet again today, who I am sure will discuss their conversation with you, but we would like to reiterate that we do not have similar symptoms cases recorded as Suspected Adverse Reactions on our pharmacovigilance database and would not anticipate Billy's symptoms to be directly connected to the Cylap vaccine itself but could perhaps be coincidental at the timing of the vaccination or precipitated by the act of having a vaccination.

We are sorry to hear of Billy's illness and do hope he makes a full recovery.

Above response was sent inspite of all test results of scans , bloods , xrays and even his teeth showing no underlying health problems with Billy , but! because they say they do not have similar symptoms recorded on their data base then in so many words they are saying they can't see it connected to the Cylap vaccination. Our vets practice is also satified Billy was in good health the day he received the vaccination other wise it wouldn't have been administerd to him. Reading through your posts I see a number of you have expierenced skin problems with your rabbits after being vaccinated with Cylap and some poor buns have flare up's of that condition again several months later , also some of you have had rabbits who have stopped eating for a while after being vaccinated (which is very concerning in it's self as we know how vital it is to keep a rabbits gut moving). To me! whats been happening with Billy is similar! to the flare ups some of you have expeirenced with recurring skin problems with your rabbits after having the Cylap vaccination , it's the re curring symptoms I'm refering to here , please let me explain , as in the case of rabbits not eating after being vaccinated for Billy it has been like a flare up again and again , a recurring symptom if you like of that situation of him not eating over and over again since his vaccination. Billy is known as the eating machine (or he was) because of the amount of food he used to consume but he was weighed at the surgey last night and his weight has dropped by two kilo's since being vaccinated :(

UPDATE! Concerning Billy Our Continental Giant.

After seeing the distress and suffering Billy had gone through since being vaccinated with the Cylap vaccine (you can read about him starting on page 4 of this thread) I felt I needed to say! something so I did a written report and handed it into our vets practice stating why! I thought the vaccine was the cause of Billy's un wellness. Just over a week ago we got a phone call from the vets to inform us Fort Dodge are reimbursing us all financial costs involved in Billys treatment (over £360 worth).

Back