• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cylap Problems

Has your bun(s) have ever had any side effects with Cylap

• Yes

Votes: 50 64.1%
  • No

Votes: 28 35.9%

• Total voters
Jose developed a limp the day after, took her back to the vets and was told that she'd probably landed funny jumping around and that it wasnt a side effect from the Cylap :roll:

Mine have had a slight reaction to the lapinject, so I hate to think what it would have been like had we used cylap

Valentine was fine for the first 24 hours after the vaccination, then didn't eat much and was very quiet for about 36 hours. She did not develop a limp, however was holed up in her bed for most of this time looking very sorry for herself :(

My two looked quite poorly all puffy and hunched up for 24hrs and they hardly moved and were off colour for several days! They'll be having lapinject next time!

:wave:Spoke to the vet about this and couldn't remember the name of the Lapinject, told him about the side effects etc and they hadn't had any reports so Gizmo had Cylap today - hopefully will be OK he is resting at the moment but, was eating hay in his carrier as soon as I put him back in. The vet also said with a lot of vaccines that often the 'base' of the vaccine is the same (from the same supplier_ often marketed with different name as some other things are added etc) He seems OK at the mo so will report of any strange effects x

Rainbow had his VHD last week and he was fine with the Cylap. I told the vet about Jose's limp, so she did it near the back legs instead

:wave: Gizmo seems fine (touches wood) I did go out for a few hours this afternoon so he had lots of time to sleep zzz but, I think he was just tired from the stress factor of going to the vet, totally normal so far - eating really well, no limping etc I am keeping an eye so if I don't post on this thread again then he is fine. He had his in the scruff of his neck and the vet massaged it for a quite a while after. :)

Billy our Continental Giant rabbit (aged 21 months) was vaccinated with Cylap approx 3 weeks ago and we've been back and forth the vets since :(. The day he had the vaccination he had a bad allergic re action to it and we had to get back to the vets quickly , I honestly thought we were going to loose him :cry: , he was very listless , couldn't even support his own weight or lift his head . The vet gave him a good examination and found his temperature was up and there was a problem with his one eye which appeared sunken , there were other comments the vet made about what she was finding but I was too upset to take it all in at the time. The practice did report to the manufactures what happened to Billy (apprently they will get back with their report but we've heard nothing yet) Billy was given an anti inflammatory injection and they had said about keeping him at the surgery that night but thought that would only stress him out even more , I was told to phone and let them now how he was doing at 8pm and if there was no improvement I was to bring him straight back in , fortunately I could see a little improvement in him so I just kept an eye on him over night. For the next several days we had to syringe feed Billy and it was a good four days before he started producing droppings. He seemed to be getting back to his old mischievous ways for about a week then last week it started again he wouldn't eat or drink totally unresponsive to what was going on around him :cry: we got him back to the vets who were so concerned about him this time they kept him in to get fluids into him and run tests to see what was going on. The poor thing has had to have both his front and back legs and stomach shaved where he's been on drips , scanned , xrayed ,bloods taken , teeth checked etc etc. All these tests have revealed nothing obviously wrong. We have had to inject Billy twice a day wth a gut stimulant , one day he will nibble a bit of veg and hay and then the next he's hasn't been interested in eating again. We have another vets appointment in the morning as they want to take more bloods :( All I can say in all honesty before he had the Cylap vaccination we hadn't had a days concern about him health wise but! since the vaccination we've spent a lot of time back and forth the vets . One vet we saw at the practice advised for him not to vaccinated against VHD again :?
Apart from the distress and suffering Billy has gone through bless him up to now it has cost us near £300 trying to sort him out.

Zebedee had his cylap two weeks ago. Its the first time he's had it since being with me and he stopped eating for almost two days :(

Billy our Continental Giant rabbit (aged 21 months) was vaccinated with Cylap approx 3 weeks ago and we've been back and forth the vets since :(. The day he had the vaccination he had a bad allergic re action to it and we had to get back to the vets quickly , I honestly thought we were going to loose him :cry: , he was very listless , couldn't even support his own weight or lift his head . The vet gave him a good examination and found his temperature was up and there was a problem with his one eye which appeared sunken , there were other comments the vet made about what she was finding but I was too upset to take it all in at the time. The practice did report to the manufactures what happened to Billy (apprently they will get back with their report but we've heard nothing yet) Billy was given an anti inflammatory injection and they had said about keeping him at the surgery that night but thought that would only stress him out even more , I was told to phone and let them now how he was doing at 8pm and if there was no improvement I was to bring him straight back in , fortunately I could see a little improvement in him so I just kept an eye on him over night. For the next several days we had to syringe feed Billy and it was a good four days before he started producing droppings. He seemed to be getting back to his old mischievous ways for about a week then last week it started again he wouldn't eat or drink totally unresponsive to what was going on around him :cry: we got him back to the vets who were so concerned about him this time they kept him in to get fluids into him and run tests to see what was going on. The poor thing has had to have both his front and back legs and stomach shaved where he's been on drips , scanned , xrayed ,bloods taken , teeth checked etc etc. All these tests have revealed nothing obviously wrong. We have had to inject Billy twice a day wth a gut stimulant , one day he will nibble a bit of veg and hay and then the next he's hasn't been interested in eating again. We have another vets appointment in the morning as they want to take more bloods :( All I can say in all honesty before he had the Cylap vaccination we hadn't had a days concern about him health wise but! since the vaccination we've spent a lot of time back and forth the vets . One vet we saw at the practice advised for him not to vaccinated against VHD again :?
Apart from the distress and suffering Billy has gone through bless him up to now it has cost us near £300 trying to sort him out.

:shock: OMG how awful for you and bun - was it directly linked the vaccine or a horrible coincidence? My adopted doe has had cylap aswell and admittedly was a bit 'stiff' that evening and the next day noted she left her caecatrophs aswell! - the day after that in the morning charged out of the shed and was in binky heaven and back to normal. Did mention the 'limp' again as it was another vet - not the same one as injected Gizmo and he said he wasn't surprised and that a similar thing can happen to dogs with a vaccine. He did say it should pass within 24-36 hours if it occurs though and didn't seem overly concerned.:?

First time with Muppet, he was 'off colour' for about 36 hours and I *think* had a slight limp. Second time he was fine initially and then 'off colour' for 24 hours. Maybe it does lessen over time?

Anyway, third time is on Saturday (and Sooty's first time with me) and they're both booked in for lapinject :D

The vet also said with a lot of vaccines that often the 'base' of the vaccine is the same (from the same supplier_ often marketed with different name as some other things are added etc)

Yes mine also said the same thing about the base, so if it's the base that causes the reaction then of course you may not avoid that. They also said that they'd never had any owners coming back to them and saying their rabbit had had an adverse reaction. I suspect that's under reporting by the owners (like me...) as much as anything though or maybe - if the rabbit's outside and they dont spend much time with it - the owners just havent noticed :?

:shock: OMG how awful for you and bun - was it directly linked the vaccine or a horrible coincidence? My adopted doe has had cylap aswell and admittedly was a bit 'stiff' that evening and the next day noted she left her caecatrophs aswell! - the day after that in the morning charged out of the shed and was in binky heaven and back to normal. Did mention the 'limp' again as it was another vet - not the same one as injected Gizmo and he said he wasn't surprised and that a similar thing can happen to dogs with a vaccine. He did say it should pass within 24-36 hours if it occurs though and didn't seem overly concerned.:?

Hello Vicki. Our vet contacted the manufactures yesterday but as of this morning (when we were again at the surgery with Billy) she had no reply back yet.

This morning Billy had another 250mls of fluid by drip put directly underneath his skin then we were sent home with more medications fibreplex because he's been very loose for two days (so much so he has had to have two baths , which is no light weight task with a rabbit weighing 9kgs)
We had already been adding prebiotics to his drinking water but he is also now on a more concentrated formula prescribed by the vet which we have to give by syringe twice a day for seven days. We are booked in for another appointment on Friday.

Can anyone help here please I want to email the company who manufacture Cylap as I understand others of you have , could some one give me the email contact address please? Thank you.

I don't have an email address, but I have the name and address of the person I wrote to when I had problems with Cylap (though I think it was a different person that wrote back). I'll see if I can dig it out and PM you.

I don't have an email address, but I have the name and address of the person I wrote to when I had problems with Cylap (though I think it was a different person that wrote back). I'll see if I can dig it out and PM you.

Thank you John received your PM , very much appreciated :wave:
And I just love your Merry Christmas siggy greeting from Walter and Nora :) it's gorgeous! :D

Oooooooops sorry been calling you John (must put me glasses on lol) sorry Joh619 :)

Last edited:
Back