• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Currently bonding part 3

Hello all......another update.

We have now moved the buns into the living room (thoroughly cleaned with white vinegar to rid any previous scent of Smudge they will have been) but worried we may have rushed things.

We started the bonding on Thursday night last week and all appeared to be going reasonably well. Dexter would groom Smudge and the occasional hump late on the night. Smudge would tollerate this, even stay put when he'd lay next to her. They would eat together and be happy grooming themselves without having to keep an eye on the other. Each day we had been gradually reducing the size of the pen as they became more comfortable with one another. We started with it big about 16 sqf and then quickly reduced to to 8sqf as we felt Dexter was pestering Smudge a lot and she never had a breather.

On Sunday night we introduced them to their new shared cage, and adjoining pen. Dexter seemed very happy with his new environment running all over, plotting paths of his quickest routes from the run into the cage, around and back out again. Smudge on the other hand seemed more withdrawn, keeping out of the way huddled in a corner, barely even responding to the idea of a slice of carrot. Paranoid as we are that we may have gone too quick too soon, the same night we closed the cage confining them to the pen. We don't seem to have had any progress from about Saturday night even though it looks fairly positive we now realise we may have jumped the gun. We cannot move them back to the original neutral area again as that bedroom is now in use.

I know we're supposed to stay back and just leave them to it.....and we have been, but it just breaks our hearts to hear them. Both bunnies are very vocal in different ways, Dexter honks a lot when he is happy or excited, Smudge whimpers when she is afraid.

Smudge does occasionally try to mount Dexter, unfortunatley the wrong way around. This would not last long as he would have flung her off before we even have chance to interveen.

Dexter is now getting rougher with his mounting, nipping more and even now started scratting with his claws at Smudge if he cannot mount her. This is mostly confined to the later hours of the evening. We have been reducing and increasing the pen depending on the time of day. Sometime Dexter will not give her any let up and she is cowering etc unable to get away so we have felt the need to increase it. At the minute its about 5sqf.

Tonight (exactly one week on) we took them on a short car journey together in a carrier, after they had spent the day together in the conservatory (in the restricted pen) to try and get over this last hurdle as with Dexters aggressiveness it seems to be getting worse rather than better. It is generally confined to the late evening or very early morning when they are the most awake, dexter is getting more relentless and Smudge more vocal with her cries. We chose the conservatory as another neutral area but have had to move them back as we cannot keep a good eye on them throughout the night.

We are worried that by Monday we will be back at work (granted for only a few hours at a time) and will not be able to keep a watchful eye on them.

Just to say as well though Smudge and Dexter do eat in each others company, they lay in the pen (Smudge on her own and Dex will come and flop next to her but never the other way round), and they groom themselves. All which I know are positive and this is still ongoing. Right now Smudge is laid out and Dex has flopped next to her and they look quite content. They are both eating hay, pellets and the occasional greens (as treats) but smudge will stop if Dex tries to eat any of hers (which doesn't take too long as he will wolf down his food). He even ate some kale as it was hanging from Smudges mouth.

We believe Dexter is doing very well, maybe as he is so young (6 months) and so outgoing. But we are worried about Smudge, she has never been the most energetic and she is very timid. Smudge is 18 months old and she has always been content being let out of her cage and just sitting on the carpet (we never even needed a pen).

Thanks and sorry for the long post. We're just worried for their well being. Any advice would be greatfully recieved.

But are they fighting, is there fur everywhere? I would give them more time to settle down with one another and get their hierarchy sorted out. As lonf as they aren't fighting or hurting one another then hopefully with time they will settle.

Hi tonibun
No they aren't fighting. There is some fur which is mostly smudges. She is a long haired lionhead though. I will take your advice and leave them to it. Do you think they'll be ok when I'm at work? It's only for about 2.5 hours.
I've just read one post where it said it took them three months! I think I worry too much. But I will definitely persevere. Thanks :)

They should be ok but obviously can't guarantee. Rabbits usually show their dislike of another rabbit in the first stages of bonding so if you have come through a day and a night, say, with no fighting, then things are looking promising. Good luck. 3 months? :shock:

Thank you. :)

Yeah I been reading through the previous threads and someone said it took three months to fully bond them. I don't know if that makes me feel better or worse! Lol. I'll keep at it though. Thank you again for the advice :)

Back