• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Critical care vs recovery

liv862

Warren Scout
Hi guys :wave:

Just a quickie, after having sum gut problems with mr rolo my vet gave me (as well as meds) some recovery plus to syringe feed, and told me its much better than critical care cos it has more fibre and probiotics in. Have just finished the course (nd we are looking much better thank god!) but now thinking bout buying sum stuff to keep in the first aid box to give if things kick off again.

Have looked online and can get 10 sachets of recovery plus for £25, which is about 20 days worth which seems very excessive. They only last a year nd a half before they expire and I just can't see us getting thru all that. Whereas I have found critical care 141g for £10 which seems like less of a waste.

Now here's my wondering, firstly what do you guys think about recovery being better than critical care? Id never had to use either before but I'm always hearing about critical care on here so i kind of assumed it was the shiz, but vet says otherwise. Secondly, could someone please tell me how long critical care lasts for in the pack? Cos i have a feeling if i have it i won't need it, so id rather it lasts for as long as possible! :lol:

Thanks bunny fans!!! xxx

You can make up a liquid feed yourself. Just soften a few pellets that you normally feed by covering them with boiled water. Once the pellets are soft mash them into a paste and add a bit more water until the paste is of a consistency that can be drawn up into a syringe. To this you can add a couple of pinches of a pro/prebiotic such as Avipro Plus. The 100g pot should suffice to keep in a First Aid box:

http://www.viovet.co.uk/Vetark_Avip...88P32ia4U1JcMGNrmHhC1dciJGbzeaQ1_HxoCT57w_wcB

Do remember that syringe feeding a Rabbit who is in gut stasis should never be attempted until it has been established that there is not a full obstruction within the GI tract and/or gastric dilation. So really only after the Rabbit has been fully assessed by a Vet :)

You could also save the powdery bits left at the bottom of the bag of your normal pellets - saves having to mash up pellets. Keep it in an airtight container or bag.

Hi guys :wave:

Just a quickie, after having sum gut problems with mr rolo my vet gave me (as well as meds) some recovery plus to syringe feed, and told me its much better than critical care cos it has more fibre and probiotics in. Have just finished the course (nd we are looking much better thank god!) but now thinking bout buying sum stuff to keep in the first aid box to give if things kick off again.

Have looked online and can get 10 sachets of recovery plus for £25, which is about 20 days worth which seems very excessive. They only last a year nd a half before they expire and I just can't see us getting thru all that. Whereas I have found critical care 141g for £10 which seems like less of a waste.

Now here's my wondering, firstly what do you guys think about recovery being better than critical care? Id never had to use either before but I'm always hearing about critical care on here so i kind of assumed it was the shiz, but vet says otherwise. Secondly, could someone please tell me how long critical care lasts for in the pack? Cos i have a feeling if i have it i won't need it, so id rather it lasts for as long as possible! :lol:

Thanks bunny fans!!! xxx

I have some recovery food and I have also mashed up soaked pellets, but to be honest most of the stuff like this gets stuck in the syringe and then pops flying all over me and the rabbit :shock:

I tend to use baby food, organic with no additives and the highest fibre I can find and add a pinch of probiotics each time I feed. This way I can keep a pouch of Ella's kitchen in my fridge or freezer and it's always fresh on hand.

I agree it's expensive if you want to have it on stand by and then don't use it and have to throw it away ...

awesome thanks guys, sounds like i can probs get away without buying any then. Have attempted mushing pellets before with very little success, but i tried it with cold water not hot so maybe thats why it didn't work. Ive also got a much better syringe now so that makes it easier.

Am afraid were back on syringe feeding, have lost more weight nd are back having diarrhoea :( vets are being very helpful tho so thats good. will stick to the recovery plus for now cos little man rlly needs the extra probiotics and the extra calories, he's been loosing weight so fast theres barely anything of him left!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: but ill keep note of ur advice for the future, will def save me some pennies!

Thanks everyone xxx

awesome thanks guys, sounds like i can probs get away without buying any then. Have attempted mushing pellets before with very little success, but i tried it with cold water not hot so maybe thats why it didn't work. Ive also got a much better syringe now so that makes it easier.

Am afraid were back on syringe feeding, have lost more weight nd are back having diarrhoea :( vets are being very helpful tho so thats good. will stick to the recovery plus for now cos little man rlly needs the extra probiotics and the extra calories, he's been loosing weight so fast theres barely anything of him left!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: but ill keep note of ur advice for the future, will def save me some pennies!

Thanks everyone xxx

All good wishes for your little man. Sounds like he needs all the help in the world right now :) xx

I have some recovery food and I have also mashed up soaked pellets, but to be honest most of the stuff like this gets stuck in the syringe and then pops flying all over me and the rabbit :shock:

I tend to use baby food, organic with no additives and the highest fibre I can find and add a pinch of probiotics each time I feed. This way I can keep a pouch of Ella's kitchen in my fridge or freezer and it's always fresh on hand.

I agree it's expensive if you want to have it on stand by and then don't use it and have to throw it away ...

Have you used the supreme recovery syringes. They are the best invention ever. I buy them ten at a time! They make syringe feeding so much easier and successful.

We use critical care here. I have both types but I can't stand the smell of the fine grind one. It makes me queasy!

Have you used the supreme recovery syringes. They are the best invention ever. I buy them ten at a time! They make syringe feeding so much easier and successful.

We use critical care here. I have both types but I can't stand the smell of the fine grind one. It makes me queasy!

I have never heard of them :shock: Just searched google/Amazon ... can't seem to find what I'm looking for?
Where do you get yours from?

Thanks so much for the tip x

I have never heard of them :shock: Just searched google/Amazon ... can't seem to find what I'm looking for?
Where do you get yours from?

Thanks so much for the tip x

Sorry I forgot to come back to this earlier.

Yes I buy them from the hay experts. They are brilliant. I have three on the go each feed. Fill them up in advance of picking up bunny. Then you aren't struggling to draw up more feed while holding bunny :)

Sorry I forgot to come back to this earlier.

Yes I buy them from the hay experts. They are brilliant. I have three on the go each feed. Fill them up in advance of picking up bunny. Then you aren't struggling to draw up more feed while holding bunny :)

Thank you :D Must stock up in advance of needing them ....

Back