• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Creating A Trio - Which Gender?

Little update, I think I have decided to go for it, just awaiting the reply of a lady I have messaged to view photos of the bunnies she is rehoming. Impatient doesn't cover it haha!!

I agree that girls are the bigger problem when bonding, I've recently tried to bond my widowed boy to my other male/female pair and my doe was having none of it :roll:

However, I think the MOST important factor is the personality of the bunny you adopt. Try as much as you can to get a placid, friendly bun whatever the gender. A highly strung one of either sex will be a nightmare :wave:

I've always had more luck with my trios having 2 males and a female but I have had one successful trio with 2 girls!

This is the list of all my trios in order:

Mischief (boy) Tinkerbell (girl) Hector (boy)
Tinkerbell (girl) Hector (boy) Theo (boy)
Hector (boy) Theo (boy) Poppy (girl)
Primrose (girl) Reuben (boy) Velvet (girl)
Primrose (girl) Reuben (boy) Bertie (boy)

I have a few videos on how I bonded my last 2 trios if you're interested :) As you can see out of 5 trios I've had more luck with 2 boys and 1 girl. My hardest trio to bond was the one with 2 girls! They had some real fights! All was caught on camera and shown in my video.

Last edited:
My only experience is 2 males and 1 female. I felt their personalities were a good fit and an experienced lady did the bonding for me. So far so good :thumb:

I have a few videos on how I bonded my last 2 trios if you're interested :) As you can see out of 5 trios I've had more luck with 2 boys and 1 girl. My hardest trio to bond was the one with 2 girls! They had some real fights! All was caught on camera and shown in my video.

I would be interested in seeing the videos, I'll be starting bonding a trio in the next week or so and could use all the help I can get!

I would be interested in seeing the videos, I'll be starting bonding a trio in the next week or so and could use all the help I can get!

they are fab - they inspired me to go for it. You can see them through the youtube link below Mischief's signature

This is the video where I bonded my trio consisting of 2 females and 1 male:https://youtu.be/d7QOKF5lDXU You can skip to 2:38 to see the actual bonding footage, the start of the video is just me explaining my situation. :)

Then this is me bonding my current trio (2 boys, 1 girl):

Part 1 - https://youtu.be/Lnt_8rmCkRA
Part 2 - https://youtu.be/cDX67agld5o

I'm yet to upload part 3 but the bunnies are happily bonded and stayed bonded after I moved them outside. :)

Thanks for the links, interesting to watch - do you always put them together and leave them until they get along? I was planning on doing short sessions to start with, mainly because the only neutral space is my bathroom which is tiny or my bedroom which isn't that big either. I thought a few initial sessions, getting longer each time, would fit in better for me as I know I can't stay with them to monitor them for a whole day / several days as I will have school runs to do as well as work some days.

M&T I didn't realised the first trio bond was adding a male/female pair to your existing female. Much braver than me.
I'm jealous it only took you 4 days!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the links, interesting to watch - do you always put them together and leave them until they get along? I was planning on doing short sessions to start with, mainly because the only neutral space is my bathroom which is tiny or my bedroom which isn't that big either. I thought a few initial sessions, getting longer each time, would fit in better for me as I know I can't stay with them to monitor them for a whole day / several days as I will have school runs to do as well as work some days.

This can work however I prefer to leave the rabbits together once they've met as splitting them up repeatedly could cause confusion and keep breaking a potential bond that is forming. It may still work though! All bonds are different :)

M&T I didn't realised the first trio bond was adding a male/female pair to your existing female. Much braver than me.
I'm jealous it only took you 4 days!

Haha thank you! Yeah after the loss of my male bun Hector poor Primrose was left as a singleton so I was looking for a friend for her. Honey Bunnies had a pair of rexes who they were really struggling to rehome and they'd been at the rescue for so long. :( So I thought why not, I'll take on 2 more! :lol: :love: Sadly no longer have the female Velvet but I'm lucky enough to have little Bertie living with the other 2 now. :)

Haha thank you! Yeah after the loss of my male bun Hector poor Primrose was left as a singleton so I was looking for a friend for her. Honey Bunnies had a pair of rexes who they were really struggling to rehome and they'd been at the rescue for so long. :( So I thought why not, I'll take on 2 more! [emoji38] :love: Sadly no longer have the female Velvet but I'm lucky enough to have little Bertie living with the other 2 now. :)
Yes I saw. Seems although Bertie lived alone he knew how to use his bits very well

Just watched all of those videos.
Have yet to bind mine as they are still recovering from neuturing but made me feel a bit better watching your videos so thank you

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Back